I use Photoshop Elements 2023 to (1) “heal” edges of scanned slides and remove dust & debris not already automatically removed by scanning software, and (2) adjust color, levels, contrast etc. This image is then loaded into Photo AI for enhancing the image (since these are old, often out-of-focus slides, this is primarily upscaling, removing noise (VERY important), and slightly recovering faces. As an aside, with the prominent grain in these slides, Sharpening usually makes the image much worse.
Typically, I find that Photo AI initially does not do a good job on some aspect of the image, and so I close it and return to Photoshop Elements to tweak the original Photoshop image. The tweaked result is then saved to overwrite the previous file (and so retains the same name and location as the previous version of the file). Even though the previous file has been either discarded to trash or overwritten, Photo AI loads this previous image, NOT the new tweaked image. However, if I close Photo AI and then re-start, it loads the tweaked image as expected. I’m assuming that Photo AI retains the “Recent” images as a cached file and not as the actual location of the file. While this may allow more rapid access to recent images, the cache file (if that is what it is) does not appear to be emptied when “Recent” images are "Cleared, because clearing the recent images does not prevent re-loading of the previous image and not the tweaked image. This even happens when you drag the tweaked image from its disc location into Photo AI (if it has not been re-started).
To prevent this, you need to close Photo AI and restart it. I’ve actually taken to clearing “Recent” and then closing and re-starting the program and that fixes the issue.
Steps to reproduce issue:
This is consistent behavior and only happens when reloading a tweaked image with the same name as the initial image, AND which is located in the same place. If the name changes from Image1 to Image1a, Photo AI appears to recognize that this is a different image.
Topaz Photo AI [v2.3.1] on Windows