Nyx 2 over-sharpens on any setting

This reminds me of the time when Theia was ignoring input parameters.

Here’s the setup:
NTSC DVD source. Square pixel. Nyx 2 manual at 1x to PNG. Gaia on those, to highlight results.
(I’m running all these passes in the CLI and Gaia happens because that’s how my script is setup.)

First off Here’s the result of the same setup but with Nyx 1, noise=0.10.
It looks pretty close to the source but cleaned up quite a bit:

Now to Nyx 2. I always reset every parameter to 0 except the one being tested.
All parameters at 0:
preblur=0.8:
preblur=-0.8:
noise=0.8:
details=0.8:
halo=0.8:
blur=0.8:
compression=0.8:

I’ll try combining the preblur=-0.80 with some compression and noise settings, but I’m not overly hopeful.
Anyway, this may not be an issue on larger resolutions. For DVDs, as of right now, it is very useless.
At least I can still use Nyx 1. No big deal if this is not what Nyx is made for. It just looks like it’s so close to being useful. If it would just not over-sharpen.

5 Likes

I realized after doing all this that I can enter negative numbers in all the parameters. I tried -1 individually and collectively on all, but did not see any results that were not over-sharpened.

Forserious, I have tried with sharpen at -100. the result is the same, all oversharpened.

1 Like

same here, -100 did not or hardly changed anything on the deblur

Right. Either some of the inputs get ignored, like the sharpen one, or that’s just how Nyx 2 works.
I would love to see some results of higher resolution sources, but will not be bothered to test it myself, since I won’t be using it on such videos.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.