No Space Left error

I encountered a strange bug. I upscaled a 1080p video to 4K via Gaia, resulting in a very large ProRes 4444 XQ file of about 700GB. I exported it from Topaz directly to a 14TB hard drive that had about 6TB free. But at the end of the upscale, Topaz returned the error “no space left.” I thought that meant that it hadn’t successfully saved, but then when I checked the hard drive, the upscale was there in its entirety. I checked the drive, and as expected, I have about 5TB free now.

I think the error warning is coming up when it shouldn’t.

On the latest release of Topaz. Mac Studio Max M2 with 32GB RAM.

Is that 14TB drive your system drive? If not, how much space does the system drive have?

It is not my system drive; it’s an external. My system drive has 390GB free currently.

Maybe it was trying to write a 700GB temp file to that 390GB free space?

I moved all my Topaz temp directories to a separate 1TB SSD. I think even that might be risky if I did something that generated a 700GB export file.

The temp folder is on my system drive, but I didn’t think that Topaz was putting the entire export into the temp folder all at once. There used to be a temp file that was created that I could open to see how the export was going, but Topaz seems to have gotten rid of that function? It was a valuable feature. I don’t see it mentioned in Topaz’s settings anymore. I used to have that temp video file go to the same place as the export (the 14TB drive).

The 700GB export seems like it is complete and uncorrupted even though there was the error message.

I don’t know what it does on Macs, but in Windows the app creates a temp folder on the system drive in Program Data. In that folder it creates a folder for each session, where it puts the preview files and a temp file for the current export, which gets renamed and moved to the final destination when the export is complete. So unless you move that temp folder, you need a lot of space on the system drive for all those files.

1 Like

I moved my temp folder to the same place as my exports; hopefully that’ll fix it. I’ll probably move the temp folder to an external SSD like you in the future.

I’d still consider this a bug though, considering the error was flagged even though the export was successful.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.