No GPU usage under Windows 10

I get slow performance and no GPU usage in task manager under Windows 10 and much higher performance with the same graphics card in Windows 11.

Main system : nVidia 2080, 14700K, 32GB RAM, 500GB M.2, Windows 11.
Second system: 9900K, 32GB RAM, nVidia 3060, Windows 10
3rd system: 8700K, 16GB RAM, nVidia 1660, Windows 10

I did see a thread about nVidia not being used but these suggested updating graphics card drivers, which I have done. I have also swapped around the graphics cards between these machines to try and identify the problem.

When one of these GPUs is in a Windows 11 machine it is used about 100% during upscaling. In a Windows 10 machine about 1%. The W10 machine is inferior but a client with a 10th gen system, 64GB RAM and Windows 10 is having the same problems with Topaz. I am considering putting W10 on the 14700K and seeing what the perfomance is like. This is hassle & time consumung but the best comparison.

However, before I do this is there any thing specific I should do with Windows 10? I used to get much better performance from this W10 machine with with earlier builds of V4 and with V3. Has something changed?

On my Windows 10 machine it is using 100% under 3D. CUDA is not an option to see in W11 task manager. I do see CUDA on the W10 machine and that is running about 40%. Obviously the major difference is that when running the nVidia 2080 under Windows 11 on my main machine it encodes a lot faster than the same graphics card under W10 on the 8th gen. Screen shot of W11 task manager attached.

You wont see cuda for the exact reason I gave in the link under win11.
I don’t use Task manager but GPU-Z as this gives a true picture of GPU usage.
Also your driver is outdated, latest is 31.0.15.4633 06/12/2023
And use the Studio drivers not the gaming.

I have tried both studio and gaming drivers, current and older on different machines.

As an update I have also been in touch with support about this. After trying several things the conclusion is I am wrong - performance is the same on Windows 10 and 11. I have been running benchmarks in various configurations to test, rather than just looking at the performance of one file.

Windows 10 shows no use of the GPU because Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling is off as suggested above. I had to do a search on how to turn this on and off, but it is on as a default in Windows 11 and off in Windows 10. Turn on in Windows 10 and task manager shows stuff happening.

The 2080/3060 are a lot better performance than the 1660 in all machines. I feel that this used to be better. As an example in the bench mark the 2080 can manage 14 fps, which the 1660 manages 1 fps - a staggering difference when I look at general benchmarks for the two cards performance. I assume Topaz has been optimised to use some of the new technology in the 2080/3060. If I find any way to improve it I will post here for anyone else who comes across this topic.

However, in future I will not even be trying to use the 1660 and instead using 2080 or 3060 for all Topazing.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.