Mask AI crashes

Mask AI (plug-in of PS CC 20.0.6) crashes when I try to “Detect Objects” or “Compute Mask”.

I have the following settings and soft/hardware:

When I try to fulfil the operations GPU uses all 8 Gb for a while and then the application (plug-in) crashes:

Go to Preferences, Advanced Preferences and set GPU Optimization to NO and see if that makes a difference.

It did not help.

On pushing “Detect Object” it seems to proceed, but after 8-10 seconds Mask AI crashes and I again have

It looks as if CPU did not work enough. Mask AI uses a lot of capacity of CPU only during its opening, but not during proceeding.

Faulting application name: Topaz Mask AI.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5dcafae6
Faulting module name: Qt5Gui.dll, version: 5.13.0.0, time stamp: 0x5d01e0c2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000002bfd50
Faulting process id: 0x30bc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d59b0cf9e6b1c4
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Topaz Labs\Topaz Mask AI\Topaz Mask AI.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Topaz Labs\Topaz Mask AI\Qt5Gui.dll
Report Id: a7b672e1-bebc-47c1-8771-ecf8e1a41263

I have reinstalled Mask AI, but after login I got a strange window that was stuck and did not react on any operations . The first time during the installation the same happened. I made a screenshot of the window.

The issue of crashing has still remained.

UPD.

1. Mask AI works well as a standalone application and crashes as a plug-in of Photoshop.
  2. If Photoshop is already open, then a standalone Mask AI again crashes. It cannot work along with Photoshop.
1 Like

Please raise a support request as I have already raised one with this issue affecting CS6 & Affinity.

I just purchased Studio, Adjust and Mask today. I’m also have Mask AI crash when launched as a plugin from Photoshop. Did we find a solution for this? I have to completely exit Photoshop to get AI to even launch again.

Please supply a little information about what your issue is. Including the version of PS you are using.

Then post a screenshot of your settings panel in Mask AI, an then go to Help-> Graphics info and press the copy button and post the info here.

I found an article that told me to move a “copy” of the plugins to an additional directory in windows. I did that and also turned off my graphic processor and now it’s working… I’m on Windows 10 and using PS 2019 CC… So I’m good… thanks

Could you send www of the article please? Thanks.

Don, I just bought the creative bundle and I have the same problem with mask AI. The first tutorial is running oke. But during the second tutorial (bird) by selecting Auto-detect-subjects the program stops immediately.

I followed your instructions and set GPU optimization to No, but it did not make any difference.

Knipsel

I have a Dell XPS 8930
Intel (R) Core ™ i7-8700 CPU @ 3,2 GHz, RAM 16GB
NVIDA GeForce GTX 1060GB

regards
Willem

Addiotional information of Graphic performanceGraphic%20info

Update your nVIDIA drivers from the NVIDIA website and see if that makes a difference.

Don,

it works, graphic details are now;

Graphic%20info

Bird mask AI, auto detects subjects works.

Thanks!

1 Like

I also experience a crash during the second tutorial. My info is like this:

Application & Version: Topaz Mask AI Version 1.2.3
Operating System: Windows 10 (10.0)
Graphics Hardware: GeForce RTX 2080/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 445.87
CPU RAM: 16229 MB
Video RAM: 8192 MB
Preview Limit: 8000 Pixels

I have turned off GPU Optimization.

Any advice? What’s the possible cause of this?

Try switching to CPU/OpenVINO on and GPU off in the Advanced Preferences to see it that works.

It does not help, but I have a workaround to make it work and I think it is a bug.

When I start the application, go to the second tutorial (Refinement), click auto-detect → crash.

When I start the application, go to the second tutorial (Refinement), draw a trimap, click compute mask, click reset, click auto-detect → no crash.

In other words, the application has to calculate the mask once before being able to do auto-detect. I hope this can be fixed soon.

In case this helps, I had this crashing problem today when I started my 30 day trial of Mask AI. It crashed a few seconds after choosing auto select masks.

My laptop had two graphics cards, one power saving one and one high performance one. If you go to settings on your computer, type “graphics” in the search box then a window comes up with different applications. Browse to find Mask AI and select it…it will probably be somewhere in the program files directory. Then change the graphic card used by that application in the list that appears under it. Once I changed to the “other” card then the crashing immediately stopped.

For me, up-to-date Mask A.I. crashes reliably whenever I run auto-detection of the subject (CPU and GPU), and always with GPU (no matter whether optimized or not). Mask computation after manual selection works with CPU only.

My machine has a Ryzen 9 3900X processor, an NVidia GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER (and no internal graphics unit), and 64 GB of RAM.

Any progress on this front as several people seem to be affected?

I am here again. After a few updates Mask AI seemed to work properly. It was in the winter, but today I updated the application to the version 1.2.5, and it crashes at any operation.

i9-9900, 64 Gb RAM

Could you give me a link to download any old version (1.1 or so)?

First update your NVIDIA drivers from the NVIDIA website and see if that helps. If not raise a support request at the main website and they should be able to provide you with a link.