MAJOR Issues with speed and crashing

I updated my Topaz Photo AI yesterday to version 3.0.0 and have had nothing but problems since. The rendering is not as good as it was with my previous version and it is exponentially slower to modify anything (changing sharpening level, masking of subject, etc). I tried changing the AI processor between auto, nvidia, and intel…I have 15 NEF format photos I have been working…just 15. the program uses so much of my computer’s resources I am not able to have anything else open at the same time. I got through the photos last night and then tried to save them at dng and 2 of them saved as TIFFs, 4 didn’t save at all, and most of them just got converted to giant dngs with none of the topaz edits… I decided to try again today with all of them and literally spent the entire day working on these 15 photos because of how slow the program was running and then I was working on the last photo and the program CRASHED while adjusting masking and I lost everything…this is completely unacceptable performance. I wasted over a full day on this costing me time I could have spent actually working and making money…I have 32 gigs of RAM and a 64 bit processing system…there is no reason for any program to have such abysmal performance!

Topaz Photo AI v3.0.0 on Windows

Sorry to hear about your problems. Have to say I do not see it so bad. It is no speed demon, for sure, but using my more than 4 years old Intel 8700K 6/12 Core 5 GHZ/64 GB/NVidia 1080 Ti - all runs reasonably fine - I mean fluidly - no hindrance when editing. Exporting takes time i.e. 8 RAWS (24 MB each)(denoise/sharpen/lighting/color balance) into TIFFs took roughly 100 secs with total CPU Load around 80% and GPU Load cca 30% (out of 11 GB DDR total) speed at 2000 MHz GPU clock). No problem to work parallel on different tasks.
Just for clarification as mentioned on screen when exporting:
DNG is supported only for RAW files, anything else will be saved in TIFF file (un)compressed. Lighting and Color enhancements (when used) will be saved as a TIF, will not save into DNG output correctly.
Hope this helps - at least some data to compare with :grinning:

exporting time is not a problem…but I shouldn’t have to adjust the sharpening lower for every image, even when I set the adjustment level under preferences low (this was not as big of an issue with previous versions…though topaz has always had some issues with rendering dog fur)…It also shouldn’t take 10-20 seconds or more for processing every single time I use the masking brush (literally each and every time I click/draw to add or subtract the mask). If I try to adjust the masking too quickly, topaz crashes and i lose any and all editing on any photos I had open! Running only topaz runs my memory usage up over 70% and if I open anything else it bogs the entire computer down to being basically unuseable.

I’d like to get some more information to help troubleshoot the problem you are having.

Could you send us your computer’s full system profile?

Also, please open Topaz Photo AI, then go to Help > Open Log Folder, and send me all of the files within that folder. You should be able to attach them directly as a response to this email.

You can securely submit your files(s) to my Dropbox using the link below. Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.

Dropbox File Request

The requested files have been sent

I echo your concerns. I “upgraded” to 3.0.0 and I have had nothing but slow performance and crashes when working with multiple images (like a few hundred). I have a 10th generation i5 processor, an RTX 3060 Ti video card, and 64 GB of RAM. The processing itself usually isn’t the problem; it’s during the previews and adjustments that the program takes forever to update and sometimes crashes. I have had it also crash when processing, but I can just pick up where it left off. This was not a problem with the older versions. Even just working with one image, I see my RAM using 31 GB, which is a lot.

I saw there was an upgrade to 3.0.1. I applied it, and the program functions much better now–faster at the previews/adjusting and uses far less RAM. Perhaps 3.0.1 will solve your issues too.

1 Like