Mac Pro crashes by using Topaz Labs AI video

Today I purchased and installed the Topaz Labs Video AI software on my Mac Pro. Unfortunately, the system crashes when exporting a movie clip. When using Frame Interpolation the system crashes. Even the spinning beachball stands still and the Mac no longer responds to anything. Please help in solving this problem.
It is a mac pro; 3,2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W, AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB, Memory 96 GB 2933 MHz DDR 4 OS Sonoma 14.1

1. The bug / behavior you have encountered
  2. Your system profile
  3. Your log files (Help > Logging > Get Logs for Support)
  4. Any screenshots as necessary
    2023-11-06-16-24-34-Main.tzlog (72.2 KB)
    2023-11-06-16-30-45-Main.tzlog (63.2 KB)
    2023-11-06-16-36-9-Main.tzlog (33.5 KB)

[Please be sure to have searched for your bug before posting. Duplicate posts will be removed.]

Our developers are currently in contact with Apple about an issue related to some Mac systems with AMD graphics cards.

We’re really hoping for an update from Apple soon but for now we’ve found that most users should see more stable processing speeds if they enable low power mode from the app’s preferences menu.

In addition, setting the “max memory usage” slider to 50% should also help with render times:

File → Preferences → Processing

368f461d1eae08a351627bf206a65303.png

Same to me. Always crashes since months and computer freezes. The advice above is useless. No reaction from the developers since months.

Hey! I don’t know if this can help but i have the same issue on my iMac, but i found that if i export in .mp4 and not in .mov it doesn’t crash…but i still cannot see the preview, so i put my settings and hope for a good result after exporting in mp4 container…
I hope this helps!
Have you found any different solution?

I’m experiencing the same problem for months now (mac pro; 3,2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W, AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB, Memory 64 GB 2933 MHz DDR 4 OS Ventura 13.6.1). It doesn’t matter (for me) whether I export to .mov or .mp4. Hard crash, or spontaneous restart after a few minutes of processing. It looks like the developers have unofficially given up on the MacOS.

I also have a similar spec Mac Pro 3,2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W, AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB, Memory 160 GB 2933 MHz DDR 4 OS Ventura 13.6.4. I was crashing all the time. Switching on the Low Power setting and sliding the memory down to 40% fixed the issue thankfully.

Same here: 2020 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9 imac, 128gb memory, AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

Using GPU with Topaz always crashes (reboots) the machine. Switching to CPU works but is insanely slow (takes over 7 days to render 2 hours video).

Please please please Topaz, can you work on a solution?

Same issue here with a Mac Pro 2019 and video card AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16GB.
While exporting video, the computer freezes and then reboots. Any solutions or suggestions on how to remedy this? Switching to Low Power setting and 10% memory seems to make the rendering more stable. But it’s slow. Is there a better fix?

Would changing the video card be a solution? If so, what video card would you suggest that would optimize the Topaz AI engine on a Mac Pro 2019?

Thank you for your help. Bless.

The video card doesn’t matter. I have both the Radeon Pro 5700 and 6800 installed and it’s still a problem. Good news is, you actually don’t have to switch to low power mode. I’ve found that just reducing the memory usage to about 90% works just fine. Yes it is a bit slower, but not as bad as 10% memory plus low power mode. Test it and see if that works for you. You may need to go below 90% depending on your situation (your mileage may vary).

Another option is to boot into Windows, if you have Bootcamp installed. TAIV on Windows doesn’t have the rebooting problem. I can run it a 100% memory, no low power mode using all GPUs with all the corresponding speed bumps and no crashes (so far, knock wood). Windows itself has its own idiosyncrasies, but it might be worth the reboot in certain situations (like deadlines).

1 Like