Linux support

What discord chanel is that? I want to join :slight_smile:

Today I bought Sharpen AI, DeNoise AI and Gigapixel AI. It works on lutris/wine 7.5 out of the box (but I donā€™t know how long). I wish after I upgrade my OS everything will be ok. There is also a software update question. Anyway, I think Topaz Labs currently have the best AI software for improve photos. Bad luck we donā€™t have any simple and good photo editor. Topaz software was expensive for me, but I think its worth that money. Apps with monthly fee are out of my reach so Iā€™m not even a potential customer for them.

If you ever want to create a linux port, please have a look at AppImage project. The main idea is to provide a single distribution independend appliaction binary with all dependencies included.

1 Like

Finally got Gigapixel working myself on Fedora. I had to set concrt140.dll to native in winecfg.

One problem is, Auto settings isnā€™t working, it just stays at 60 60. Does that work for you?

1 Like

I have been struggling for hours to get Sharpen AI running on 22.04. Any suggestions? Iā€™ve tried 2 versions of Sharpen, the settings youā€™ve laid out here, several version of Wineā€¦ no luck. Ugh. I even tested 7.9 without success.

I have also switched completely to Ubuntu and only have an old Windows Laptop that can run programs such as these (slowly).
I would very much like to either be able to use Gigapixel AI natively or just be provided instructions for e.g. wine on how to run the apps.
I realize itā€™s absolutely non trivial, but would be much appreciated!

Linux support would be awesome! CLI is more than enough for me; I even prefer it, because I then can run it on a virtual machine with hot folders and cronjobs without the overhead of a GUI.

Even CLI support on Windows 11 would save me work.

For reference, Gigapixel runs fine on WINE with no special changes, for basic upscales on NVIDIA GPUs (you just to have make sure all the Linux CUDA support is installed). Face Recovery however does not work and CPU upscales cause crashes especially when changing the model.

2 Likes

Hi, that is very good to hear! Could you specify which versions of Gigapixel, wine and Nvidia driver you used? I have tried 2-3 weeks ago with the current versions of Gigapixel and the Ubuntu 22.04 out of the box wine, along with Nvidia driver 510.
I could get the install through, but running Gigapixel resulted in crashes (i.e. the program failed when starting).

Gigapixel 6.2.0, wine-7.12 (Staging), NVIDIA Driver Version: 515.65.01 CUDA Version: 11.7

I think what fixed the crash for me was setting concrt140 to native in winecfg, Libraries, DLL overrides. Wish I knew what would fix Face Recovery though.

One caveat, Linux doesnā€™t handle the GPU the same as Windows so during upscaling the desktop will pretty much freeze, so you canā€™t do anything else while upscaling. :frowning: Thatā€™s an issue with all GPU Compute applications on Linux though, I have the same problem with Folding@Home.

2 Likes

Oh thatā€™s great to hear, thank you! Yes, I have seen the freezing as well, maybe that will be solved one day. Iā€™m stuck with 510 for the moment, after upgrading to 515 the system always reverts to 510, looks due to a version mismatch with nvidia-settings that only exists as 510.
Iā€™ll see that I try your hint about concrt140, thanks!

I still scan this board from time to time, and I got Denoise version 3.03 to work with playonlinux (wine and a front end) in mid 2021. Lately I too found out about the concrt140.dll and got Denoise 3.5.0 to work on one machine running Mandriva Linux on an ancient 2011 Dell I5-2400, but on two slightly newer machines (Dell I7-4790) running Endeavor Linux it still doesnā€™t work past 3.03, although it still works. It would really take minimal effort to make Topaz products work under Wine consistently. I wish they would take the plunge. After the debacle that is Windose 11, many people are coming to Linux.

1 Like

If they just told us what libraries Face Recovery is using that the normal model is not, it would go some way for us to look into what is going wrong. Running wine from the console gives no output.

Iā€™d install a debug build of WINE but I donā€™t want to risk breaking what works already. Surely it wouldnā€™t take one of the Gigapixel devs very long to figure out where its going wrong as theyā€™d know what to look for?

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to also say that Linux support would be greatly appreciated!

Would also love to see Linux support! I have older versions of Gigapixel, Denoise and Sharpen running on Ubuntu 22.04 and WINE, but have not yet succeeded in getting the latest versions to run.

For the benefit of other newbies searching oā€™er the net for tips as I was, a specific combination that has been working for me is:

• WINE stable branch, version 7.0.1
  • WINE configuration:
    • Windows Version is Windows 7, set in winecfg under the Applications tab.
    • Windows DLL override of concrt140 to be ā€œnativeā€, set in winecfg under the Libraries tab.
  • Using the latest versions of these tools that include Windows 7 support: Gigapixel 5.8, Sharpen 3.3.6, Denoise 3.3.4. These were available from Topazā€™s Downloads page under ā€œPrevious OS Compatibility,ā€ as the most recent versions have gone on to require Windows 10+.

Thanks to those who basically already posted this here and elsewhere; hopefully this specificity is useful as a current snapshot.

Other combinations might work; this is a way to go, but isnā€™t necessarily the way. :slight_smile: I tried some subset of permutations with wine-staging (8.0rc3 at the time), Windows 10 and the latest app versions, but I was definitely making some first-timer mistakes in those attempts. Perhaps a more modern combination could also work.

In my humble opinion, Linux support is what would separate topaz products from being considered a toy you play around with at home, vs a professional product you can depend on in a production environment. All major cloud computing platforms like Google, Microsoft, and Amazon, use Linux for doing AI work, as do the companies which rely on distributed computing power.

If I want to run rendering software, AI models, or perform other big computing tasks, our pipeline is all going to be Linux based. And if I am responsible for procuring development licences for a company, I simply canā€™t recommend Topaz products as they donā€™t run in any environment except Windows, and only as a local home-user desktop application (No cloud or distributed computing).

Linux CLI versions of Topaz products would really give the range a good shot in the arm, where people in positions of influence can seriously consider licencing Topaz for major professional work.

2 Likes

Itā€™s pretty clear that Microsoft is trying to maintain dominance by making it hard or difficult for the latest versions of Windows (11) to work on any but the very newest hardware. Unfortunately, as recession looms, because of the slowing of Mooreā€™s Law, people arenā€™t compelled to upgrade to new machines anymore. So Windows 11 sales will fall, as economics and technical limits of physics, brings the huge PC era (as a bubble) to an end. Used hardware is doing great as the performance penalty is now minor over newer equipment. Linux is what this recycled hardware is often used for, it canā€™t help but grow. For Topaz, thereā€™s the new market, if they want it. Intelā€™s greatest competitor may not be AMD, it might be their own products from as many as 10 years ago at bargain prices.

+1 For Linux Support. Really need to run these tools with CLI.

3 Likes

I was about to buy the bundleā€¦ Then I realised there was no Linux supportā€¦

Iā€™m letting go of this company. I bought both Denoise and Sharpen, but I canā€™t keep them working, and there are online Denoisers now that are not fussy about hardware.

I bought the bundle. The only thing I can use on my Linux box is Photo AI, under Windows/Virtualbox. Everything else from Topaz crashes under Windows/Virtualbox. Photo AI is nice but I wish I could use the GPU.

2 Likes