Linux support

Linux support for Giga Pixel and Video would be awesome.

4 Likes

Good idea!

6 Likes

Linux support would be great, in particular all the AI applications are of interest to me. But most of all I would like Gigapixel AI and DeNoise AI. Porting the GUI I suspect is the most complicated task, personally though I would be perfectly fine with just a command line tool :slight_smile:

Having been tinkering with trying to run these with CrossOver and Wine, but not much success so far.

2 Likes

+1 for Linux support! Iā€™ve got $300 burning a hole in my pocket right now, but no access to Windows machines! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I agree with @Awesam. We have very few alternative tools on Linux. They can be insanely difficult to install. Even if you manage to get them working, they are not able to handle many varieties of input images very well.

Gigpixel, and Video Enhance would be welcomed with open arms. You have no idea how many Linux users want to use your software!

6 Likes

Iā€™m on Ubuntu 20.04 on an AMD threadripper and a standard RTX 2080. I have licenses of all Topaz products .

Iā€™m installing the software with Lutris and have some succes.
In Lutris i choose Wine System 5.0.1 as runner.

Itā€™s work fine for some, not for all.

Jpeg2raw wonā€™t run because itā€™s detected something like a debugger. i donā€™t know what itā€™s mean but itā€™s close imediately.

Video Enhance AI is working fine but itā€™s say i have 32 days left even i enter my credentials.

MAsk AI seams to crash when i use autodetect.

Others seems to working great

3 Likes

Video Enhance works? When I tried a few months back I could only get Gigapixel to work, but Video Enhance wouldnā€™t. Thatā€™s good news.

Even just a CLI version would be fine by me, and probably most Linux users would be okay with that, too.

2 Likes

What happens if you run the Calibration from the Preferences? After that it shouldnā€™t crash. Or, at least, it doesnā€™t on Windows.

Just click on calibrate, open a image, and draw a rough mask then use ai or contrast to calculate the mask and it will run the calibration.

2 Likes

Happy to hear that you were able to install it.
When I try Topaz Denoise installer in Lutris with Wine runner (v5.0 and v5.7), the installation process succeed but thereā€™s no way to launch the installed app. Thereā€™s no new banner with ā€˜Topaz Denoiseā€™ and I donā€™t find any shortcut to it.
Am I missing something? How can I launch the app?

Thanks

1 Like

When you add a ā€œgameā€ in lutris, you select the setup.exe of you topaz product.
then you install it and at the end you have an icon or vignette in your lutris list .
this on restart the setup exe if you " play" this one.
so you have to right click on this to modify the path of the exe.
instead of the setup.exe, you have to select the exe wich was createted by wine in c:/programfiles/topaz/topadenoise/topaz.exe or something like that.

After that, when you start the icone or vignette in lutris, it start the software.

1 Like

Ooh yea for a linux version of Denose and sharpen would been fantastic if you could make a Linux version I pay happily again to have on Linux (Manjaro Linux)

Best regards a happy user
Peter

3 Likes

Yes please. Would really like a native linux version.

4 Likes

Yes please, native Linux support would be much appreciated, Iā€™d happily pay for Video Enhance AI and Gigapixel AI

3 Likes

Just wanted to add a +1 on thisā€¦ Iā€™m considering switching to Linux full timeā€¦ as it is, most of my project time is already in Linux or WSL. Iā€™d love to drop Windows entirely. Iā€™ve spent time ripping/reencoding old content, but have wanted to step it up a notch, now that I finally have a good enough video card, thinking of pulling the triggerā€¦ would buy a second time for a linux license hands down.

2 Likes

Just for the search engines and many people, who stumble over this thread (like me); I think all of you, who replied to this thread, will know already, that it works with WINE:

DeNoise AI, Sharpen AI and Gigapixel AI works nearly perfect and fully(!) with WINE, at least over PlayOnLinux.

My setup:
Ubuntu 20.04 (x64)
PlayOnLinux
Winetricks
WINE 6.17 for Sharpen AI and Gigapixel AI
WINE 5.6 for DeNoise (maybe 6.17 will work too, untested)

All three need libraries in WINE:

• concrt140 (Native, Builtin)
  • vcruntime140_1 (Native, Builtin) - double check to use the ā€œ_1ā€

ā†’ If not working, try without / remove the library vcruntime140_1

Iā€™m also able to use my NVidia GPU for processing by adding a script in the starter (.desktop file at /usr/share/applications) before the exec command. Please note the ā€™ around the original command:

Exec=/usr/sbin/dgpu '/usr/share/playonlinux/playonlinux --run "Topaz DeNoise AI" %F'

/usr/sbin/dgpu contains:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
export __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1;
export __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia;

$@;

You can alternatively also set the /usr/sbin/dgpu as exec command in PlayOnLinux (Configuration ā†’ Misc (? itā€™s the last tab on the right side) ā†’ Exec command. This command will be executed before every start of the app.

Hope this helps someone. Have fun, I love it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Linux support would indeed be great!! I donā€™t use it ATM but Iā€™m back and forth between it and Windows.

1 Like

Adding my vote for Linux support. Iā€™m setting up my new Framework laptop, which Iā€™ve configured to dual boot Fedora w/ Nixpkgs and NixOS itself, and so far Iā€™ve been really happy with my DAW. Having this as well would give me a solid portable workstation.

Heard about Video Enhance AI through some friends who talk it up frequently in a video encoding discord Iā€™m in. Itā€™s not currently part of my workflow but I would love to buy it to have an alternative to the fast but lower quality tools I use now such as ravu, amd fsr etc.

If it had a linux x86_64 build.

I havenā€™t tried yet but this is extremely good news, thanks a lot for posting instructions! If Gigapixel AI can run on Linux with NVIDIA CUDA acceleration, I am done with Windows!

4 Likes

Having just ditched Windows for Linux, the amount of photographic ā€œrealā€ software for high end work is sadly lacking and to have this software for Linux would mean so much and be great to have in my graphics folder.