Is there a good reason for truncating suggested file names after some commonly used special characters?

Rename a supported video in 720p24 on OS level to “A Video - scene #1 Should This Exist” and import it into VAI. Select the parameters shown below for enhancement and click Export As.

VAI present this string as suggestion for the file name: “A Video - scene .mov”
I’d expect to see this: “A Video - scene #1 Should This Exist_prob3.mov”

What is the reason for truncating suggested file names on the presence of “#”?
Are there other ANSI or UTF-8 characters, which are valid in file names but result in truncated suggested filenames? If so, which?

1 Like

Thanks for the bug report! We will definitely look into this and I’ll provide an update from our dev team as soon as I can.

1 Like

Update. VAI 4.2.1.

The issue with the character ‘#’ in file names seems to be fixed. Thanks for that.

Unfortunately, the character ‘#’ somewhere in the file-path still confuses VAI on export somehow.
To reproduce, create two folders somewhere,“\folder 01” and “\folder #2”. Populate each with a video clip. Start VAI. Export the clip from “\folder 01”. The export lands in “\folder 01”, next to the source, as expected. Then, export the clip from “\folder #2”. It doesn’t land in “\folder #2”, but in “\folder 01”. To verify that the issue is clearly related to the character ‘#’ repeat the test with the folder pair “\folder 01” and “\folder 02”.

Can we safely assume that no other ANSI or UTF-8 character in file names or paths triggers these issues?