Bug/Issue: Image preview for Some DNG files in PhotoAI (also Sharpen AI, Gigapixel AI, DeNoise AI)
Your system profile: Windows 11, Core i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, GeForce RTX 3070ti
Your log files (Help > Logging > Get Logs for Support)
Any screenshots as necessary
Hi @Scott-F, what camera are these files from? Have you edited them in any other applications before putting them into our apps?
Hi. The images were taken on a Canon EOS R. The source was Canon RAW, and I used Adobe DNG converter to convert to DNG. I cannot remember if there were any edits on these photos in Adobe Lightroom 6. It is possible.
If it helps, I would be happy to send the DNG file to you.
Is your monitor one that has an HDR option that you can try disabling? We’ve had some other users run into this because of their monitor’s HDR options, especially when it happens across Photo AI and DeNoise AI like it is here.
I have DELL S3220DGF monitors. I disabled the HDR completely and it made no difference.
Based on your questions, I went back to the original photo and did the following:
- I loaded the original .CR3 from my camera and the image displayed correctly.
- I then used Adobe DNG converter and converted the .CR3 to DNG.
- I loaded the freshly converted file into the Topaz applications, no problems.
- I imported the DNG file to Lightroom.
- Did some basic sharpening and noise reduction built into lightroom.
- Loaded the new DNG, no problems.
I was confused, but then I looked at the file details for the faulty DNG file. The program name listed was “Topaz Photo AI 1.0.9”. However, I am currently running Topaz Photo AI 1.2.4. After I thought about it I realized I believe I loaded the images from .CR3 into Topaz Photo AI, then exported them as DNG files, without Adobe DNG Converter.
I looked at all my DNG files and the only one’s (not all of them) that were problematic were the one’s produced by Topaz Photo AI 1.0.9. Again, not all of them did this, but only the only DNG files that were exported from 1.0.9 seemed to have the issue.
I loaded one of DNG file produced by 1.0.9 that shows up green in Photo AI 1.2.4, and slightly adjusted it (in order to get it to save back out) and saved it to another name from within 1.2.4. Now the DNG file is completely messed up in all programs, including Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Photoshop, and Windows thumbnail preview.
I then saved it out as a JPEG, and it too was messed up. I am uploading the JPG (I can’t upload DNGs) with this post.
Should look like this…
It seems like the output from Topaz Photo AI v1.0.9 was broken. It will not be possible to revert the changes to these files or fix them by reprocessing it.
The simplest solution is to find the original image and reprocess it in an updated version of Topaz Photo AI.
I would not recommend trying to process the broken files from v1.0.9.
Let me know if you have questions about this.