Image damage in Topaz Photo AI 1.3.0

[Please describe your issue here. Try to include logs (Help → Logging) and add screenshots if necessary.]

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Open image in Topaz Photo AI 1.3.0 plugin in Lightroom
  2. Apply auto noise reduction and sharpening
  3. Save image to Lightroom

Images have strong horizontal band of damaged data at top or bottom of file, manifested as a band of brightly colored noise.

Topaz Photo AI [v1.x.x] on [Windows/Mac]

1 Like

I am having what sounds like the same or similar issue with Photo AI 1.3.0 on a Mac. It only occurs when using the Sharpen model with the new Strong setting, and seems to happen regardless of other settings.

2023-04-18-22-05-34.tzlog (2.3 MB)

Sounds quite similar except mine is showing up as a horizontal band across the entire image. I’m on a Mac too, and I had it happen twice with strong sharpening but once with standard. It didn’t happen one other time with standard sharpening, but 3 times out of 4 images is pretty bad. I’m going to try installing an older version of Topaz if it will let me. I don’t like the lack of controls on the newest update anyway.

1 Like

@saelon.renkes @ekeraminaskidd

Please send me the image file which has this issue with the Sharpen model. You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below. Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.
Dropbox File Request

Once I reproduce this issue I can share it with my team.

Thank you so much for looking into this! It happens with any image file that I have seen, using either of my two cameras. Uploaded one example from each, with the before and after

I appear to be having the same issue. I just purchased topaz ai and thought the horizontal banding issue was only in the demo, but with the officially purchased plug-in I am having large horizontal bands appear across all images with use of any of the functions, denoise or sharpen or both.

It looks like you uploaded the output JPG. Do you have the original RAW file you can send me so I can try to reproduce this?

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below. Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.
Dropbox File Request

Are you still able to reproduce this issue in v1.3.1? I tried to reproduce this issue on an M1 device and did not get the same results.

Please update and let me know if these same artifacts appear with the new version.

Please send me a screenshot of the artifact that you are seeing and I can send next steps to fix this.

It sounds similar to a known issue with NVIDIA graphics cards. Please send your system profile so I can check if your computer hardware is up to date.
How to Obtain Your System Profile (Windows)
How to Obtain Your System Profile (Mac)

Hello! Yes, unfortunately after installing the update for v1.3.1, the problem still persists. I’ve uploaded the most recent examples and a system profile to the Dropbox link above, if that will help

Thanks for sending the files and system profile over. It looks like this artifact only appears with the Sharpen Strong model on M1 Mac devices so far.

For now, I would recommend avoiding the Sharpen Strong model. The Standard, Lens Blur, or Motion Blur models (enabled through Legacy Models in the Preferences > General menu) should not have this issue.

We are still investigating the issue with this model but haven’t been able to reproduce on our own computers.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.