Idea For New Topaz Product - Film Restoration (Film Damage Recovery)

In my Topaz Video Enhance AI adventures I’ve come across a need that I think Topaz’s AI know how much be able to help with restoration work.

While not so much an issue with modern film production, footage shot on traditional film media is easily subject to damage, be they quick spots of dirt or scratches or more severe damage (vertical lines, bits of the frame that have been scraped off from damage, etc).

Why not use AI processing to repair this damage using neural networks?

It would need to be temporally aware obviously but would be an amazing tool (assuming it could be done).

(I would attach png examples of the types of damage but I don’t have any that I don’t have the rights to reproduce on the forum right now.)

(NOTE: I originally posted this under General Discussions but realized this is probably a better spot.)

2 Likes

This has my vote, too. Although nearly all image content made today is digital, there are literally hundreds of millions of prints, slides, and negatives that could be digitized. More would be except for what a huge pain it is to remove dust specks and scratches on post-processing. I would pay $500 for an application that did a really good job of this on stills. Add another $500 for a product that would do the same with digitized film.

1 Like

Excellent idea! I also would pay for a program that would help repair dust/ scratches/etc.