How to update Studio 2

Same here macOS Catalina 10.15.3.
I have 2.2 installed and when setup runs, I get stuck on the resource directory step.

/Volumes/Install Topaz Studio 2/TopazStudio2-2.3.0-osx-installer.app/unknown variable defaultresourcedir

No update is available via check for update either.

In the dialog asking for a directory name:

Resources:
Click on the directory button and create a directory under ApplicationSupport/Topaz Labs LLC
under this directory the installation creates sub-directories
Filter
Looks
Textures
tgrc

Next step, you can create a UserContent directory (or use the same directory in the above step). Install created
My Filters
My Looks
My Textures

My update from within the product failed to connect for some reason.

Downloading the installer .exe from the downloads page worked as expected.

I received the same error message that DMrcus posted . Opened a ticket but no response.

Good Morning!

Please try entering the following on that screen and the one that follows:
/Library/Application Support/Topaz Labs/Topaz Studio/

We are currently working on this issue but don’t have a fix yet. Let me know if that works for y’all.

1 Like

It’s an update rather than an upgrade so there is no cost. You just need to install the new version.

Just one request. If you guys can be consistent in the directory names it would be helpful. Currently, over the past few years, I have Topaz Labs as well as Topaz Labs LLC and Topaz Studio as well as Topaz Studio 2 under Application Support tree.

1 Like

Followed your suggestion but got another error. Seems like the installer is trying to install the program into the install directory maybe?

:frowning:

Hi Emily,

That appears to have worked for me - (Catalina 10.15.3). Thanks!

You might edit your post to make it more obvious to us scanners that you have to put that path in both screens. It’s on me for not picking that up. But I know it won’t be just me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

Appreciate everything you do but would to mention that it would have saved a bit of angst and time if the the email y’all sent to current users had a download link that went to the downloads page rather than the “buy new” page – especially given the heartburn about the new pay-for-uprages-er-new-versions policy (which I understand even if I don’t like it or think it should apply to existing/old users).

Thanks,

Dave

2 Likes

Hi Dave,

Give these a try:
defaultinstalldir:
/Applications/Topaz Labs LLC/Topaz Studio 2/
defaultresourcedir:
~/Library/Application Support/Topaz Labs LLC/Topaz Studio 2
defaultcustomdir:
~

3 Likes

~/Library/Application Support/Topaz Labs LLC/Topaz Studio 2
defaultcustomdir:

as the resource directory worked
installer proceeded to download and install
got the ‘completed’ message
Studio starts - note that the splash screen as 2019 as the copyright date and release date but it did install 2.3.0. Healing brush works.

Please note this bug: Histogram does not update as Brightness is changed. See illustration.

Mask is called as a plugin correctly as far as I can see.

1 Like

Same problem here on a MAC. My older version of Topaz Studio was automatically deleted as well. I have nothing to use. :frowning:

Using these got me to the point where files are now downloading. We’ll see what happens after that. Stay tuned. Thank You!!

1 Like

SUCCESS! Typing these in when prompted worked for me. 27" iMac running Mojave.

2 Likes
  1. Downloaded the Installer
  2. Closed Topaz 2.2
  3. Initiated the steps for installing (ie: Yes to install. Agree to terms. etc. until the first Resource Directory window shows up. I then copy/pasted this: /Applications/Topaz Labs LLC/Topaz Studio 2/
  4. Clicked on Next
  5. Another window similar to the first Resource Directory popped up.
  6. I then copy/pasted this: ~/Library/Application Support/Topaz Labs LLC/Topaz Studio 2
  7. Cicked the Install or Next button (can’t remember) and viola! It began installing.
  8. After installation finished, I started the program and it showed V.2.3.0
  9. I double-checked the info regarding the app in my applications folder. It too said V.2.3.0
  10. I then quit and restarted the program again to make sure it worked. So far, so good.

PS: This version seems to load very fast compared to the last version.

1 Like

Note: Be sure to replace all the stuff that shows up in the Directory Resource windows when they first pop up with the stuff I copy pasted. I don’t know what would happen if that first bunch of goop was attached to the copy/paste info. Hope that makes sense?

I got it. Thanks for clarifying!

I was able to install it. Thank you.

QUESTION:
When I open an image and select “Add Filter → Impression”, I have no brushes or presets under STROKE.
Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Hmmm… Interesting. I haven’t tried that yet. Stand by.