How to double framerate + interpolate

I can’t seem to figure this out. I just want to double the frames on a video plus double the speed. 60 fps would be ideal as well. I’ve tried Apollo but when I double the frames the video is SLOW. How do I also set the frame rate? When I manually input the framerate it has no effect! Is this a bug maybe?

So can someone please explain the process they use to double framerate and interpolate? Thank you very much!

(And thank you team for all your hard work on version 3. She’s looking a lot better!)

ok, got it! I used Apollo Soft and instead of typing in the framerate I chose 60 FPS.

Can someone explain it to me too? I tried it on a regular movie once (“2010”), and TVAI started inserting ridiculous transitional (morphed) frames, that ruined the entire deal. And I had set nothing special, in terms of frame interpolation or something.

This works for me:

• Load your video. You may want to choose a small video first so you can test this.

• Go to the VIDEO on the right below PRESETS and choose 60 FPS.

• Go to FILTERS under VIDEO and under Frame Interpolation choose Apollo Soft for AI MODEL. Under SLOW MOTION choose None.

• By default the Replace Duplicate Frame will be checked. Mine is set to 10. I left this checked and left it at 10.

And that should be it… when you export your video you should have a 60 FPS video. I think what some experienced with morphed or warped frames was an earlier version of Chronos. Use Apollo Soft instead.

Cya! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Video AI doesn’t have transition detection, so it’s bound to insert wrong transition frames, please vote here. Chronos - Scene change detection
Here’s some other information you might be interested in Discussion about Frame Interpolation

1 Like

Thought that is true, I don’t find it disturbing when I view the completed movie at normal viewing speed. Maybe a little at first, but nothing like when things get blurred-out from Chronos Fast, or the other jumpy artifacts that can happen from all the interpolation models.

That’s because you haven’t thought carefully about the significance of transition detection. First of all, this kind of frame insertion is undoubtedly meaningless and may increase the flickering of the screen. Secondly, if it is smart enough, it can skip when it judges that the frame insertion cannot bring positive benefits instead of only applying it during the transition, so as to avoid Too much blur and flicker. When you are not sure that interpolation is reasonable, doing nothing is the best choice, it can improve the lower limit of interpolation quality.

1 Like

You’d have to show me video examples of what you mean. I have never seen flickering on scene transitions. I remember Chronos Fast doing some nasty merging, but I have not noticed it from Apollo. Apollo more just makes every transition a fade transition, but so fast I have to mentally focus hard to notice it. In fact, going from 23.976 fps to 59.94 fps with Apollo often has only one merged frame.

I am currently rendering a video with Motion Deblur + Themis, at 59.94 fps. I forgot to enable frame interpolation; but, oddly enough, it seems to be doing some frame interpolation, after all (like smoothening transitions). So, what’s causing that?