Grid Artifacts IN Topaz Photo AI again again and again!

I have a the well known problem of the “white grid pattern artifacts” in some of my images processed to denoise them with Topaz Photo AI.

What surprises me the most is that I learn reading the support forums that this “Grid pattern artifacts” problem exists since version 1.0 and that even worse the problem also exists with Topaz DeNoise separate app.

I don’t understand why Topaz Lab seems to sleep on the switch and not fix this major issue.

Recently I had to restart from scratch a workflow editing process because all my photos processed with Topaz Photo had “Grid pattern artifacts” more or less visible on the processed images.

I confirm that this problem is not caused by my images. I reprocessed all the same images with Luminar Neo to been able submit my contract to the client and none of them displayed “Grid pattern artifacts” once processed in Luminar Neo.

Afterwards, during a whole evening, I redid tests with a sample of 10 images to test denoising with all the other softwares I own: Photoshop - Lightroom Classic - ON1 PhotoRaw - Luminar Neo - DXO PURERAW 3 - Perfectly Clear Software Radiant - ACDSee Studio Ultimate.

None of the images processed with all these software’s show the “White Grid pattern artifacts”.

I resigned myself to put Topaz Image aside in my workflow a little over almost two months ago until this bug was fixed.

I was thinking of trying the latest version (1.3.1) again these days when I read on the support forums that someone had the same problem again yesterday with the latest version with version 1.3.1…!!! ( Grid Artifacts IN Topaz Photo AI - #4 by mark.belanger )

Do you have an idea when this problem will be solved. PLEASE

We love Topaz Photo AI but it is incomprehensible that this bug persists for so long.

Topaz has to put themselves in our shoes, the loss of time is immense imagine I batch processed about 200 images (130 minutes) and when I finished exporting my processed images (70 minutes) I notice that 4 out of 5 images have artifacts and I have to start all over again, in total about 3 hours lost.

Thank’s all for your precious help

Claude Lafrenière Montreal.

Topaz Photo AI [v1.3.1] on Windows

1 Like

Hey Claude. I responded in another thread which described this same issue and shared both threads with my team. I asked if we have any solutions we can implement ASAP since it prevents you from pairing two of the main features in Topaz Photo AI, which is Raw Remove Noise and Enhance Resolution/Upscaling.

If you have the original RAW files that I can test with I can pass those along to my team as well so we can confirm if we can fix it.

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below. Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.
Dropbox File Request

I can update as I hear back from my team on a solution.

I have a build for Topaz Photo AI which has a potential fix for the grid artifact when upscaling.

Please install the below Beta build and try upscaling some images to see if the grid artifact appears.
Mac build
Windows build

Please share any feedback regarding the grid artifact, if it’s still happening or if it seems to be fixed for you.