Glasses being added by IRIS?

I’ve never seen anything like this before but IRIS is adding glasses to my video. It’s doing the same thing in full v4.1.0 and Beta v4.1.0.5.b. How is this happening?
The bottom picture has glasses in the hair!

UPDATE FEB -07
Is it possible to expect someone from TOPAZ to weigh in here with some comments please?

Can facewear, like glasses, be switched out in a future version? This would make my enhancements result near perfect for what I am trying to achieve. The addition of random glasses is ruining an otherwise great version of IRIS

1 Like

Don’t blame the AI, the source quality is poor and lo-res.

1 Like

Yeah but hang on, what you are saying may be the case but where are the glasses coming from? TVAI did a great job on the rest of the face! Maybe the addition of face wear should be switchable.

PS. David you don’t need to be so dismissive. We are all here for the same reason. To help make TVAI the best program it can be,

You asked why you are getting strange results - and the answer is, the source material is bad. The model sees patches of colour variation near the eyes and decided it was glasses. With a better quality source, it’s less likely to happen.

1 Like

You used Iris MQ?
Try LQ V1 instead and with a high value for recover original details (80 or higher).

2 Likes

If I had better quality sources, i wouldn’t need TVAI. I upres from old VHS tapes so I need a version of IRIS that doesn’t add glasses. IRIS does a brilliant job on the rest of the face of these old videos as I have already said. Surely there can be a version that excludes glasses from the model, particularly when it is adding it to other places like in the hair.

They would have to train an entire new model to exclude glasses, it can’t just be turned on or off. I don’t see them doing that…but you never know.

2 Likes

LQ V1 smooths to much, MQ does a superior job but adds glasses. I’m hoping TOPAZ will give us another version of IRIS that excludes glasses from the model given the rest of the face in this instance is coming up so well.

Exactly. If IRIS is adding artifacts like glasses, which is so foreign like in the hair, it really needs to be reviewed.

It’s actually made part of the hair into a face too! :rofl:

iris touts its face detection abilities. glasses sit on faces. and given the optical properties of glasses, namely them being hardly visible/recognisable, especially when the resolution is low, i´m not surprised at all by the overly high sensitivity of the model. comes with the territory.

it´s one of those things where a 0-100 slider would make it possible to manually tune the recognition in a manner that doesn´t produce imaginary glasses.

Yes seriously a true 0 to 100 slider is what I want. When I go to manual and set everything to 0, I expect NOTHING to be enhanced. But this is not the case - zero is not zero and even at that setting Iris will still happily turn a blurry belly button into an absolutely beautifully drawn and perfectly sharp third blue eye, lashes and all. (I wish now I’d kept that one.)
Is it too much to hope that Artificial Intelligence could use Intelligence, instead of being just Artificial?

1 Like

Iris LQ just doesn’t add so much artifially created (or should I say invented) details.
In your examples up there I find the whole face to be absolutely unnatural looking and kinda looking as it was “stamped” into the picture - so I think Iris MQ is doing an overall terrible job there.
And to my experience in motion this will look even more unnatural.

But, as you see, opinions on this vary quite a bit.

Aynways if you want fidelity to the original but thoroughly clean it up while still adding a bit of detail/sharpness for such LQ sources Iris LQ is the way to go.
Use it in manual mode with a high value for fix compression there (e.g. 60) and also quite high recover Details value. To defeat smoothing only use little Sharpening but a high value for the Anti-alias/deblur setting (>60). And then also set a high value for Recover original details of 80 or even more.

I’m not looking for a work around here and whilst the picture may look unnatural to you, it is only a still to highlight the problem. In motion the enhancement looks very good and is appropriate for the subject matter. I just want TOPAZ to get rid of the glasses somehow so I can use this model.

Is it possible to expect someone from TOPAZ to weigh in here with some comments please?

Can facewear, like glasses, be switched out in a future version? This would make my enhancements result near perfect for what I am trying to achieve. The addition of random glasses is ruining an otherwise great version of IRIS

Yeah it needs some sort of fine tune adjustment

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.