Gigapixel v7.4.0

Hello!!

We’re thrilled to introduce two major update to Gigapixel with version 7.4.0

Dive into our advanced face improvement tools, designed to bring out the best in every portrait with incredible detail and clarity. Plus, explore bringing your images to life by turning your digital memories into beautiful, high-quality prints. Whether you’re perfecting your photos or creating lasting keepsakes, this update has something special for everyone.

This is what’s new:

1. Generation 2 of Face Recovery is now available, with incredible results and two unique face generation options ranging from Realistic to Creative

2. Gigaprint™ your images. If you are signed up here, you can print your upscales with the Gigaprint™ Beta in the United States with this version of Gigapixel!

Please note that Gigapixel’s Gigaprint™ will be rolling out to more countries soon, and is currently only available in Beta for the United States. If you are signed up for the waitlist, you will receive an email when your access has been granted, which may take a few days.

Keep reading to learn more!

v7.4.2
Released September 4, 2024
Mac: Download
Windows: Download

NOTE: A minor issue was resolved in a hotfix to 7.4.0 and 7.4.1, so please download this linked version with 7.4.2 for the best experience.

Introducing Gen2 Face Recovery

We’re thrilled to unveil the second generation of Face Recovery, which boasts double the output resolution and twice the model parameters of its predecessor. This upgrade makes Gen2 Face Recovery significantly more intelligent and precise, delivering superior results across a broader range of images such as improved quality in optical glasses frames and in facial features such as the teeth.

See some examples here:

Facev1v2_sample1

Facev1v2_sample2

Facev1v2_sample3

We’re confident you’ll be impressed by the results. This new model maintains exceptional speed, even on older machines or those without high-end GPUs. Plus, we’ve added a new feature allowing you to choose between two output modes: Creative for more imaginative enhancements, and Realistic for results that stay true to your original image.

• Realistic mode closely mirrors the original Face Recovery model but with improved quality overall. For scenarios with very low resolution or tiny faces, Creative mode might offer better results.

• Creative mode generates additional details that might be missing from the original image, producing high-quality results even from very low-resolution inputs. It’s incredible what can be achieved with just a few pixels.

Explore the new controls:

adf915fb7df48cc99655b4b074f93d2ba06a8daa

You will find that the Creative mode will generate additional details that your original image may have been lacking, meaning it will still produce extremely high quality faces even with really low quality inputs. It’s amazing what it can do with just a few pixels…

And you will also find that the Realistic mode will operate similar to the original first generation Face Recovery model, but that the results are going to be higher quality across the board. This model may fail in scenarios with extremely low quality or extremely small faces, and that’s when you’ll want to test out the Creative mode.

It is important to note that the more creative model still does not use an underlying diffusion-based generative model. This means that if you’d like to stick with our more traditional machine-learning models, you can still use Gen2 Face Recovery.

We’d love to see any results you have when trying this model out in the comments below!

Announcing Gigaprint™ (Beta) Available in the USA

We are thrilled to initiate our first rollout of the Gigaprint experience to our U.S. users! This is a limited Beta release, so make sure to sign up in order to get access if you haven’t already. It may take a couple of days before you are granted access in the app.

Gigaprint makes it easy to produce incredibly high quality prints directly from the app on high-quality archival-grade Hahnemühle photo paper, with sizes up to 40" x 60" shipped straight to your door!

Print Assistant inside Gigapixel’s Gigaprint will help you get the best quality print possible. The print assistant allows you to preview the simulated colors of your printed image on your monitor, auto-upscales your image to the right dimensions, checks for a high quality print resolution, and visualizes out-of-gamut areas of your image.

We will be expanding the available print options in the future.

How to Get Access to Gigaprint™

In order to get access to Gigaprint™ you will need to:

1. Sign up for the Gigaprint™ waitlist here
  2. Wait for an email confirming you have been granted access
  3. Open up this version of Gigapixel, and try it out inside the app!

NOTE: Right now we are only offering access to US-based users but we are already testing deliveries in a number of countries. If you sign up for the waitlist we may reach out to you with an opportunity to test the service in your region!

Gigaprint™ Your Photos on Hahnemühle

Hahnemühle Photo Rag is a matte material made of 100% cotton that has a bit of texture. The paper company Hahnemühle, based in Germany, is well known across professional photographers as a standard material for artwork and high quality prints.

Our prints are made using a high-quality Gicleé printing process, at 300 pixels per inch, with high color accuracy. You’re going to love the way your prints look on this paper - the photographers at our office sure do!

All prints are currently shipped without branding and in a sturdy cardboard tube to protect your prints. The prints will come rolled, so make sure you have a place to hang them or flatten them at home.

We will have a set amount of print sizes available as well. Please let us know in the comments if there’s any sizes you’d like to see that aren’t yet there. Centimeters are coming soon…

You can upscale your images with the advanced Recovery model and place orders even when using Gigapixel as a Photoshop or Lightroom Classic plugin.

For more information, see the Gigaprint™ FAQs and walkthrough here.

:earth_americas: Not in the US? Make sure to sign up for the waitlist. Let us know where in the world where you would like to see Gigaprint™ offered!

What’s Next

There’s so much more that’s in store for Gigapixel. We will be officially launching and expanding our print service options soon, and there is so much more coming to other areas of the app as well.

We are looking at ways to allow our models to run faster on all machines, produce higher quality results using our new Recovery model, restore faces even better using Face Recovery Gen 2, and more.

We’re even looking at some powerful upscaling models with ground-breaking new capabilities that you haven’t seen before…

So stay tuned for some exciting new updates in the coming weeks!

Cheers,

Dakota Wixom
Product Manager
Topaz Labs

Changelog:

• 7.4.2: Fixed Gigaprint™ occasionally stalling when displaying prices
  • 7.4.2: Face Recovery Gen 2 models installation being skipped, causing hanging
  • 7.4.2: stalled processing caused by in-app model downloader not being visible
  • 7.4.1: Issue was resolved where Gigapixel would not open when Lens Correction was disabled
  • Added Gigaprint for select users
  • Added Face Recovery Gen. 2 for all users
  • Updated to Qt to 6.7.2
  • Default PPI for new installs is now 300 (previously 72)
  • Added better error message when Adobe DNG SDK cannot open file
  • Pan cursor is now shown when in Recovery mode
  • Image now reloads when lens correction setting is changed
  • Processing status bar now auto-collapses when finished
  • Fixed Alpha/Beta build overwriting CLI path on Mac
  • Fixed Face Recovery sometimes crashing in comparison view
  • Fixed busy spinner being stuck on original view in side by side/split views
  • Fixed being able to switch images when in comparison view
  • Fixed webp defaulting to 16-bits (now 8-bit)
  • Fixed RAW sizes not matching in top right dimension header
  • Minor UI fixes

Known Issues:

• Gigaprint: A small white pixel border may appear at the bottom or side of the preview. Your image should not print with this defect, it is a display issue on the app side. And of course if there is any issue with the print we will re-print this for you at no cost.
8 Likes

Using the new creative mode solved the Monocle issue I’ve reported here before.

with Creatve Beta Face Recovery Mode. (All other modes still create the monocle)
Screenshot 2024-08-28 174351

It would still be nice if there was a way to explicitly tell GPAI if each individual face should or should not have glasses.

7 Likes

Interesting results! I agree - we are planning to update these models to get even better at cases like these. Glad to see the new Creative model helps out here, very cool!

3 Likes

When opening the newly installed gp 7.4.0 on a MAC MINI PRO M2, either standalone or from within PS, I immediately get this message…

2 Likes

Thanks Mark - are you able to continue to use the app or does this result in a crash? Either way we’ll look into this. Cheers

doesn’t freeze, but when I click ‘OK’ it exits Gigapixel. The ‘new feature’ video clip underneath continues to play, but nothing else works.

Thanks Mark - any chance you could share your log file with us?

During cropping the mouse wheel zoom does not work. Also as someone mentioned before the hair is often not improved showing a hard cut between recovered and not recovored.

2024-08-28-19-06-53.tzlog (16.0 KB)

Hope this is the right file…

Why do I keep getting this message when I have a RTX3060/6GB? ( 3,584 CUDA cores, 112 Tensor cores, it has a boost clock of 1.78 GHz using the Ampere architecture) certainly a lot more powerful than the minimum recommended GTX900 series, even the 980Ti.

Note that the app defaults to the CPU and wont select the RTX3060 GPU. And no other apps are open and there is not an external display.

@dakota.wixom can you provide help with this issue please, occurs in Photo AI also.

Got the same problem as reported in the final beta for v7.4. The app opens, then closes after a couple of seconds. Uninstall and reinstall didn’t help.

2024-08-29-06-44-18.tzlog (16.0 KB)

The Recovery model has a minimum vram requirement of 6GB, but a recommended requirement of 8GB. That’s why you get the warning.

With a 6GB gpu the Recovery model should still run on the gpu as long as no other apps are consuming vram. I’ve been able to use it on a GTX1060 6GB.

Not being able to select the RTX3060 in the settings is separate problem. Has the preferred graphics processor been set for the application in the Nvidia control panel?

Since I have been experimenting with the new Realistic and Creative modes, I have noticed that there is not an option to include the mode in the file name by a setting. If this was a possibility, it would help me keep better track of the settings that I have applied due to me not having to go back and rename each file on my own.

2 Likes

I pointed out it does not select the GPU but runs on the CPU

That’s why I asked:

It is a laptop (or similar system) isn’t it?

Still no quick save :frowning_face:

3 Likes

I think you should update yourself on how Windows 11 handles GPUs. There is no longer an option in the NVIDIA control panel … just make sure you know what you are explaining to other users as you may confused them.

Sorry, didn’t pick up on you were using Windows 11.

… yet!

1 Like

I kept getting the same “Cannot open – File does not exist” crash as “sandhill Mark S”. Running macOS Sonoma 14.6.1 on a Mac Studio, I tried a clean install & all the usual troubleshooting stuff… The only thing that got me back up was downgrading back to v7.3.2.