Gigapixel v6.3.3

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to post this issue.

I have a strange problem when opening single images by right clicking in Windows and choosing “Open with” and then selecting Gigapixel AI.

If I do that I do not get the regular save options, such as file type, name etc. - it is just Apply to overwrite the same file.

By opening the image from within Gigapixel AI, I get the expected “Save image” and then the save options.

It is perhaps a small thing, but just odd and annoying if you are used to a work progress that open single images by the windows right-click context menu.

Any reason for this?

Yes, using open with invokes the plugin version which will overwrite the input file if it isn’t a RAW … note DNGs are NOT considered RAW as GigaPixel can output DNGs.

Thanks for the confirmation of my experience, AiDon.

My question was more aiming for a reason behind this odd and unique program behaviour. Not having a “save as” option seems like lazy coding. I have never seen that before.

There is a save as using as a standalone but in plugin mode it is expected that the image returned is the image sent.

This is normal for images called as a plugin from various apps.

I do honestly appreciate you taking time to reply, AiDon.

However, my main question remains unanswered - why is this “plugin-mode” called when using the “open with” context menu in windows. I see absolutely no functional reason for it to be this way. Why in the world should I expect a limited version of the program I wish to start, just because I’m doing it from the Windows right click context menu.

This method easily causes mistakes and I have overwritten several original images (with no confirmation, I might add) because of this. Using the “open with” and choosing any other associated program on my setup, gives me the expected behavior of that specific program’s functionality. You can try it with, Photoshop, Gimp, Irfanview or even Paint :smiley:

So to sum up - why this abnormal functionality for this program? What is the reason it calls the (apparently) limited-use plugin instead of the full program.

Apart from this, I do like Gigapixel AI - the upscaling and batch processing is good. They could perhaps look into memory handling though.

If you want to know the inner working reasons as to why Topaz Products see an image executed as a plug-in when called from the explorer/finder, as it would be from an application, you will need to ask support as every application from Topaz has that behavior.

Note that you can drag from the finder/explorer and I believe that opens as a standalone (I think but I will test when I get back to the pc tomorrow.)

Thank you again, AiDon. I will leave feedback for Topaz.

You will be hard pressed to find similar behaviour for any other program running in Windows, but I digress.

If this is the default choice (for some undisclosed reason) for Topaz products I will certainly not be buying them. It is counter intuitive and fosters irreversible mistakes (overwritten originals) IF you have a work routine like we do.

But I appreciate that you take the time to respond.

1 Like

@AiDon Hello, when coming the new bêta or version please? Thanks

5 Likes

I have no idea, I’m just another user like you. What are your problems with GigaPixel that you are looking to be fixed.

Like many customers, I’m still having major problems with v6.3.3.0.b. It seems there are five model files which were omitted from the build:
|gclc-v1-fp16-128x128-1x-ox.tz NAME NOT FOUND
|gclc-v1-fp16-128x128-2x-ox.tz NAME NOT FOUND
|gclc-v1-fp16-128x128-4x-ox.tz NAME NOT FOUND
|ggn-v3-fp32-96x96-4x-rt806-8500.tz NAME NOT FOUND
|ggnh0hh10-v3-fp16-128x128-1x-ox.tz NAME NOT FOUND
|ggnh0hh10-v3-fp16-128x128-4x-ox.tz NAME NOT FOUND

When the app is launched it attempts to contact models.topazlabs.com but fails to download new models. If “Install Missing Model Files” is selected, it does not contact that server or try to locate them on the local drive.

Is there a newer build with complete models? Or better yet, a build that successfully updates the existing models?

I still find the new Standard model causes way too many problems in 6.3.3 (usually noise-like artefacts), would it be possibly to have a preferences option to use the 6.2.0 standard model please?

1 Like

After trying a bunch of different solutions, I found that Face Recovery was crashing GAI. Once I turned that off, all of the crashes, slow performance issues, etc. went away.

Face Recovery on v6.3.3 is BROKEN

1 Like

Open GigaPixel AI and go to Help, Graphics Info, press copy and paste the information here please.

Application & Version: Topaz Gigapixel AI Version 6.3.3

Operating System: macOS 11.6

Graphics Hardware: AMD Radeon HD - FirePro D700 OpenGL Engine

OpenGL Driver: 4.1 ATI-4.6.20

CPU RAM: 65536 MB

Video RAM: 2047 MB

Preview Limit: 4492 Pixels

Please raise a support request at the main website.

:rage:
I hate PhotoAI!

Because it’s not possible to use the Upscaling as Photoshop Plugin!

And it’s not possible to deactivate the AutoPilot completely!
And I don’t want use Denoise or Sharpen, I just want to use the Upscaling :rage:

With every picture it takes forever to analyze the complete Picture! But I just want to upscale!

1 Like

Topaz was before a very innovative Company with great Tools. But now:
Only Bugs, Bugs, Bugs, Undeveloped features and bad Decisions :rage:

6 Likes

As people posting about the future of GigaPixel, DeNoise and Sharpen have absolutely no idea the posts will be deleted. Any statement of the future of these three products can only come from Topaz not from members of this forum.

3 Likes

You’re partly right, but I’m also on the side of all the users asking for info regarding the future of these programs, since they haven’t been updated for months and months, and there have been no official statements from the team regarding the status of work on these programs, so the fears of so much are not so unfounded.

7 Likes

I have no problems with people asking but making statements as if they know what is happening. Even fools are believed by some.

The only official statement I have seen is that development on those 3 products is on the back burner whilst Photo AI is still being developed.

Personally I still use those 3 in preference to Photo AI.