Gigapixel v6.0.0

Something I’ve noticed with 6.0.0; I don’t recall it happening in the last few versions. The “Art” setting seems VERY prone to color bleed–so much so that even the reduction option still yields an abnormally high amount of color bleed.

Found an issue with the new ability to view more files once you’ve imported them. If you press the up arrow to hide the preview but then close them all and try to open a single image, you can’t see the preview as the arrows to open it again does not appear. This seems a small oversight in thinking we don’t need them with a single image but forgot to reset the status when opening a single image.

I also don’t find this new ability very useful with it hiding the preview entirely. Would make more sense to have a slider so you can expand/reduce the file list vs preview pane. This is a pretty standard way to do this sort of thing. I NEVER want to hide the preview entirely as it negates the whole point of being able to see more files in the list, to make changing parameters quicker/easier which is pointless if I can’t see the preview while doing it.

Another possibility that could be useful, allow the preview in its own window. That way you could even have multi-monitor with the preview on one and the file list in the other.

I’m not in the forums every day but notice that the topaz forums tend to seem a bit constantly negative and lots of angry BLOCK CAPS. So I wanted to add my own to say that I LOVE Gigapixel as a tool.

I’m on 5.6.1 but thinking of upgrading to 6.0. Any objective opinions on whether the algorithms have improved since my version, or should I stick with what I have? Looking for good quality AI resizing of medium-sized images.

1 Like

AFAIK only the Very Compressed model has improved, everything else is the same. I had one absolutely insane upscale from a stupidly compressed source image, which is an improvement as before I never had a single upscale worth using from it. Though its still rare for it to give good results, understandable as that kind of source material is the hardest to deal with.

Today I had a problem on M1 Mac.
I have changed the GPU to CPU but no change.

Someone else reported this a few weeks ago. You need to take it up with Topaz Support (I am on an M1 with GPAI set to Auto and have not had this issue: so far)

So far it has been good today has become bad.

Since you are a beta tester, have you tried the latest bets of this? Is it also behaving erratically?

I also installed the beta on one of my machines. There’s nothing wrong with that machine. I’ll put a beta on the next one tomorrow and I’ll check it out.

The beta works well.

Is the v6 now using the full power of the RTX 30?

2 Likes

So, I dont know if its normal, but where you are meant to be able to input a custom scale ratio, it doesnt allow me to input more than 3.34. Even if I click on the 6x multiplier, at the file info in the bottom still shows a scale amount of only 3.34... What I know is certainly not normal is this: I crop , then upscale; however, when I export the file, the file is exported with the crop shifted to a different part of the image (say, I crop a bird to be in the centre of the image, the image is either exported so the bird is not even in the image and I get a blank, plain background or the bird is partially visible one one of the 4 sides of the image). When exporting a single file, it doesnt always happen, but when exporting a batch, 8/9 out of 10 will be messed up in this way.

The Gigapixel AI 6.0 version has a bad UI change from the previous versions. A few months ago the same bad UI change happened in Denoise AI also. :frowning:

The standalone Gigapixel AI 6.0 and current Denoise AI have a button named Update Preview (when in Preferences the Auto Update Preview option is turned off) changed color. It used to be blue in both programs. Sharpen AI is still blue. Now in Gigapixel AI 6.0 and Denoise AI the button is always black and that is the same color as the background. It looks strange and appears almost like it is meant to be grayed out and inactive, but if you click on the black button it does, in fact, work. I think you should change the color to blue like it used to be and also to make it consistent with the other Topaz products. Thank you.

Generally, there are many strange, inexplicable differences in the UI of Denoise AI, Sharpen AI, and Gigapixel AI. It would be nice if the developers for all 3 products would get together and decide how to do things that they all do and do them the same way.

1 Like

I don’t know if this has already been reported but version 6 in plugin mode has a big bug. It doesn’t keep the transparency of the images. Once I applied the scaling, I have a white background instead of transparency. This bug did not exist before in the previous versions.

Are you using it via Photoshop or as a standalone?

As I said, as a plugin. More precisely the Photoshop plugin. In standalone mode, it works perfectly well.
The result is the same in CPU and GPU.

re. I just found a temporary solution.
The idea is to make a mask of my transparent image by recreating the selection. Once the mask is created, I send it via the gigapixel plugin. This one opens it with a white background as usual but once the scaling done and applied the changes, I find myself with a new image with transparent background in Photoshop. But this one also has a mask but it is empty (all white) I just have to delete it since it is useless.

I hope that the bug of the version 6 will be corrected soon. because it is rather annoying if I have to remake or keep my mask each time to keep the transparency.