Gigapixel v6.0.0

If I turn on the run and the values of ‘Suppress noise’ and ‘Remove blur’ are 0 and I don’t need additional noise reduction and sharpening ( To preserve more details or not to get exaggerated light and dark borderlines ), I have to manually pull the two values to turn them to 0. Otherwise Gigapixel doesn’t consider the two values to be 0 and I get the noise reduction and sharpening in both the preview and the final result, which is relatively slight but anyone can notice the difference. Previous versions had this problem, and the current version 6.0 still does.

Sorry if I sounded as though I was trying to teach a chicken to suck eggs.
Is this when you are using GPAI with LR?
I do not use LR but when I send an original raw file from On1 PR it does indeed overwrite it. I thought this was expected behaviour that happens with all third party programmes, but maybe I am wrong.
By the way, and I hope I am allowed to say this, my recollection is that I was the only M1 user involved in the beta testing of this version. It’s likely I won’t be beta testing future versions. If it interests you, why not ask to become a beta tester?

Batch Image Processing is still broken for me, incorrect models are used when multiple images are selected for processing

1 Like

The concept is good, but needs improvement.
Compact, fast enough, but it can be unpredictable when processing images from various sources.
In some cases, it is impossible to get the desired result at all, with any settings (weak noise in the shadows turns into a large grain).
Perhaps the reason is insufficient training of models or a reduced number of models.
Returned to 5.8.0

Yup, I’m also encountering that. It uses the last model, which was selected during previewing, and doesn’t change the model, when requested in batch of images. GAI v5.5.2 doesn’t have this bug, for example.

My Fuji S2/S3/S5 .raf files can be saved as .dng and look terrific!! THANKS!!

I had the same issue, @jjd015. Gigapixel AI updated automatically, and it wouldn’t show in the Automate menu after I followed the steps (several times), as well as several other tips that I found online. What solved it for me was deleting the new Gigapixel AI app, the downloading the .dmg file and installing it from that. Then I was able to open it, and select “Install Photoshop Plugin” under the Help menu in Gigapixel AI. It shows up in the Photoshop Automate menu now.

I’ve tried searching but could not find any hits. Using latest Gigapixel v6.0.0. Windows 11 latest version.

When batch cropping and upscaling several images, I find that the cropping is incorrect. I hope this is something easy to re-create for a beta tester. If not, please let me know of any more info you need.

If I process the images one by one from the same list, the crops are correct.

I am processing TIF files created from DxO Photolab v5.2 and enlarging 4x.

The most recent attempt, I had 5 images and the first 4 were incorrect and the last one was correct. Maybe the app is using the crop parameters/dimensions from the last image to apply to all images??

Thanks.

UPDATE: After some more quick tests, it does appear that the final crop in the list determines the crop parameters/dimensions for all images - at least in my quick testing so far.

UPDATE2: I tried a list with 2 images and this time, the crop dimensions were used from the first image to apply to the second image.

Ive noticed weird greenish hues in my blue skies, only after converting .raf to DNG from Gigapixel 6.0 Fujifilm S2/S3/S5 pro

This is probably a silly point, so apologies if so, but you were careful to just have the image you were working on ticked and all the others unticked when changing the crop? It does like copying parameters over all ticked images.

This is also something people who get the wrong model assigned to images should be careful of.

Not silly at all. Just tried it ensuring that the only image “ticked” was the one I was editing. Did that for each entry, then just before saving, I chose “Select All” - unfortunately, same problem - this time, the settings from the first image on the list was applied to all images.

Maybe I’m not doing it correctly, but as of now I can’t batch process a list properly.

My exact steps are:-

1. Open Gigapixel AI
  2. Select images (even 2 will show the error)
  3. Untick “Select All”
  4. Click on image 1 and edit crop
  5. Click on image 2 and edit crop (image 1 is automatically unticked)
  6. Tick “Select All”
  7. Save 2 images

The other thing I notice is that all saved images have the exact same file size. Can you try to re-create or am I doing it wrong?

UPDATE: In fact, the crop settings are determined by the last image you edited on the list. “Select All” being ticked or not appears to have no impact. Just tried it and had 3 images in the list, edited 1, then 2 and then 3. I then edited 2 again, selected all and ran the save, image 2 was correct, images 1 and 3 incorrect.

Definitely appears to be a bug. The individual crop settings are all present and correct on the list and clicking each entry on the list shows the correct crop, but saving all images uses the crop settings from the most recently edited crop on the list.

I’m sure a developer could verify this and change the program to ensure that each list entry’s individual crop settings are applied during the save, instead of using the most recently edited image crop settings which are currently used to apply to all images.

I don’t think it’s strictly speaking a bug, but it does indeed appear to be impossible to batch process cropped images correctly. You’d have to do them one by one if the crop varies.
However, I suggest raising a support ticket and the devs may be able to look into it when preparing the next beta.

Thanks, how do you raise a support ticket?

Go to the main Topaz Labs website and click on the Contact Us button. You have the option of chat or email. I suggest email.

Thanks - will do.

I’m having strange issues on my Mac Mini M1.

Firstly, some jpegs open as 0x0 dimensions in the info bar and will upscale but only using the last settings I used. Any attempt to change them does nothing. If I open them in GIMP and re-save them, they then work fine so not sure what that’s about.
UPDATE: I found out this was a website serving files called .jpg but are actually webp, seems to confuse Gigapixel.

Secondly, random crashes. Last one all I was doing is scrolling the image in zoom mode, don’t think it was even generating a preview yet.

Third, if I leave it open then the Mac will get slower and slower, like its updating the UI at a slower frame rate. No high GPU, CPU or RAM usage seems apparent, its just unresponsive.

Fourth, file requester is buggy. Highlighting lots of files is not laggy like it was on Rosetta 2 which is good, but a different issue now where clicking files and folder wont work until I click outside of the file requester, then it enters the folder I just double clicked or opens the file, depending on which action I was doing.

If you are using .webp files you will need to convert before importing into GigaPixel. If .webp files are renamed it will not work as they are a different format to jpeg.

I try to avoid webp entirely as the format loses so much dynamic range/contrast that Gigapixel 9/10 has nothing to work with. Trouble is, if they are re-named it can be hard to tell until something breaks like this. I even have a separate copy of firefox with webp disabled to try to avoid downloading them but it seems as I used save link as, the server was not informed of it being unsupported. Lesson learned I guess.

Why would Gigapixel open the file then get confused though? Surely it shouldn’t be looking at the file extension to determine the format, seems bad practice if the file loading code clearly doesn’t so we get this mismatch situation.

Oh I forgot to say, I did try this and it behaves the same for me:

• Select images one at a time
  • Adjust crops separately
  • Select all images
  • Look at each image and see it has the correct crop still
  • Process them
  • All images have the same crop
    …so I think it’s a bug.
    (Win10 Pro 21H2, RTX2060.)

I did report it to Topaz and they re-created the scenario also and passed it on to the developers. I admit it’s probably rare to do a batch crop for a lot of images at once, but the fact that the UI confirms everything is ok but then fails when you process them says “bug” to me.

I did find out that the crop settings used for processing the batch are adopted from the most recently edited crop.