Gigapixel v5.8.0

I installed the newest version, trial, fresh version.
Whatever I do, the image seems to be unchanged at all or very tiny bits of it.
I tested several images and several options (standard, high compression) etc.
What is wrong with the program?

How can an upscaling software change only tiny bits of the image? Maybe you should provide some more detail. I have had quite some issues with GPAI but upscale it does. Can you explain what exactly is wrong with your results?

Hi

With all previous versions, Gigapixel worked awesome. Day and night difference.
Now I tried 2 photos. One during evening and one at daylight. 1% changes. Some tiny bits in image, while nothing else is changed. I tried different sliders (sharpness, detail), different modes. Images look 99% the same. Weird. I use 3060 ti and have it set in settings.

I would be very impressed if increasing the size of an image 2x, 4x, 6x, I did not see any deterioration but the image stayed like non-enlarged. That would be the real gem! Any “day and night” differences to that I consider artificial and damaging.

The word you are looking for is “stood”. :slight_smile:

Am not looking for a word, do you? I thought it’s Topaz software forum, pardon me if wrong.

My only issue withe the ‘improved’ face detection function is that it makes faces blurry compared to the rest of the image.

1 Like

Topaz could not continue development with new sales only. Like all software companies they need repeating income to make better products.

You know, there’s nothing wrong with however Topaz wants to run their business model, but you don’t have to insult us by spinning obvious falsehoods.

By your logic: “Topaz is unable to provide a good enough value to customers for it operate at the profit levels they want without employing a subscription model.”

Please keep the conversation on-topic. Thank you.

This is great support - straight from the developer. Cheers and appreciated.

I was on topic since I was responding to other commenters that were complaining about the Topaz subscription for update model. Maybe you should take time to go back and see who started this discussion. While my statements were my conclusion, they are logical since Topaz would not go to this model if they were very profitable in the old model. Producing state of the art software is expensive.

What part of my statement was a falsehood? I doubt you know anything about the issue.

Gigapixel AI was changing the colors in my images. I found a solution. I’ve sent all relevant files and details to the Topaz team but wanted to share an overview for reference in case it’s helpful.

PROBLEM

• Original image had this color for the sky: #67BFE5
  • Upscaled image had this color for the sky: #3DC0E9

COLOR-RELATED SETTINGS

[Edit: both input and output were JPG]

1. Apply RAW color correction: Tried with it turned both on and off. Same result.
  2. Reduce Color Bleed: Tried with it turned both on and off. Same result.
  3. Save Image As > Image Format: Set to “Preserve source format.” (this was the issue!)

SOLUTION:

Changed:

1. Image Format to JPG
  2. Color Profile to Apple RGB (since I’m on a Mac, guessed this must be the one).

The colors stayed the same.

FEEDBACK FOR TOPAZ

• This solution was not easy to find.
  • All three color-related options are located in different places.
  • I’m not sure if it’s technically feasible, but there needs to be an easier, more user-friendly way.

If you are talking about RAW files, there seems to be a problem with Topaz products in how they save the RAW files in the DNG format. When read by other programs, the colors are not preserved. But I know that DXO allows not only DNG to be saved with all the raw data and DXO corrections, but also the colors are preserved between programs. When opened in Lightroom or Capture One, it looks the same as it did in DXO.

But with Topaz programs, a DNG option is offered, but I find it virtually useless for practical application because the colors change. And the solution is to simply save it as TIFF or JPEG, or PNG and use that workflow to keep the colors, but sadly, we lose the raw data.

I know this has been the problem with the Topaz line of products since the beginning, and I know people have complained about it, but so far there do not seem to be any changes from the Topaz team. Will will see in the future.

1 Like

For this particular case, the input and output files were both JPG. Sorry for not mentioning it — I knew I had left something out!

However, as for DNG issues, in a different scenario a couple of weeks ago (the previous GPAI version), I had experienced some when converting Apple HEIC files to DNG. It seemed to lose colors.

1 Like

It would be nice if in some of next major updates of GPx AI, we see upscale models like in veai (protheus v3) and even from Sharpen AI (new standard model) with fine tune parameters.
If someone know how to upscale photos of different dimensions in Video enhance AI, please write proper way. VEAI support image sequences but if photos dimensions differs, no-no.
Only way I was able to do that is to load 1image with its copy in folder like sequence of 2 images in VEAI…then export to tiff… Very slow way to experiment upscaling photos with VEAI…

1 Like

I see. I had less problems with JPEG’+s and Tiffs than with DNG, but I do know that some Topaz products in attempt to use AI to reconstruct image, sometimes shifts colors. Not by much, but it could be noticeable and if you need to compare it to original its obvious. I saw this in Topaz Video Enhancer AI and I think it was more of a problem for early Gigapixel releases, but I don’t see it now. If you have the same problem, I wonder if its related to GPU drivers. Can you test it, by trying to switch to CPU processing of images and than back to GPU and see if the problem is the same. Or if you haven’t already, update GPU drivers. Could be that its specific to your hardware set up. But its just a guess on my end.

I saw one post talking about this issue but could find no resolutions.
Giga Pixel keeps putting odd distortions/squares in 95% of images regardless of settings.

I am new to this program, 5.8 is my first use.
This image shows the problem

Alow model download in the settings.

1 Like

Yes, this seems to help but is there no other way? I very much prefer to remain off line.

When the download is finished you can remain offline.

1 Like

Hello there. I wanted to use the trial version to make some test but i can’t download models. They all fail to be downloaded. Disabled my VPN, allow the app on my firewall, but the issue is still there. I don’t know what to do…