Gigapixel v5.3.2

Download: Windows, Mac
Released December 10, 2020.

Major Features

• New AI mode: “Art”. Best for CGI imagery, scanned in prints of paintings and drawings, and graphic design imagery. Also works best for images that have a lot of color shifting.
  • New control: “Reduce Color Bleed”. Turn this feature on if you notice a lot of color shifting / color bleeding

Improvements

• File list interface has been completely overhauled. Icons and text should no longer overlap at smaller resolutions.
  • Processing interface has been overhauled. A panel on the right now shows up when saving images telling you the overall progress, and sticks around after processing to let you know that all your files have been processed.
  • Tutorial interface has been redone. Markers now show directly on the various buttons, and should no longer misalign.
  • Tooltip styling now fits with the rest of the program
  • A message now displays when scaling above 600%, to let users know that quality preservation cannot be kept above that percentage. You can turn this dialog off completely after the first time it shows.
  • When in external editor mode, the “Save images” button has been changed to an “Apply” and “Cancel” button.

Bug fixes

• Multiple crash fixes. Program should no longer crash upon first launch for the majority of users that this was happening to.
  • Crop should now correctly display the entire image, and not just a small section of the image
  • When exiting crop mode, the application will remember whether you had auto-update preview on or off, and which view mode you were using
  • You should no longer have to hit “Save” twice after cancelling the preview when you’re ready to save your images.
  • Photoshop plugin should now show up under File → Automate on new installs of the program
  • The first file in a batch should no longer appear to double-process

Known Issues

• When scaling images to 32,000 x 32,000, the preview scale doesn’t get correctly set when switching images. This won’t affect final output of the image.
  • If the Photoshop plugin won’t launch on a specific image, you’ll need to assign a color profile to it first in Photoshop (Edit → Assign Profile).
  • GPU has artifacting that CPU processing does not. A fix should be released for this in the next version.

v5.3.1: Windows, Mac

Bug fixes

• GPU grid-line artifacts have been fixed. GPU processing should now have parity with CPU processing. If you notice issues with either mode that doesn’t occur with the other, please post here.
  • File list should be easier to select

v5.3.2: Windows, Mac

Bug fixes

• Installer stability improvements
  • Programs that need to be closed now display correctly in the installer, where previously the list would be blank.
12 Likes

Seems to be working great, the art model looks pretty good on upscaling paintings and such.

Just my personal opinion, the “joke text” on the right during processing (“Firing neural synapses,” etc.) get old pretty fast, and makes the program seem less “professional”, if that makes any sense. Again, just my personal thought. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Excuse the funny/unfunny subject matter (depending on your perspective) :smirk:

960x540 → 1920x1080 Lanczos:

960x540 → 1920x1080 Gigapixel “Art” model, Auto settings:

Likely not what the painting actually looks like, but still an interesting (and funny/unfunny) upscale regardless. :see_no_evil:

3 Likes
  1. GigaPixel crashes when processing some PNG files, like:

elune_by_minhtrimatrix-d3aormg|607x850

and:

ubuntu_wallpaper_43_by_jo_ri-d4i11wc|850x663

1. When sending to GigaPixel using the “Open With” method of a third-party program, GigaPixel will automatically exit after processing the image. Is this normal?

I updated through the app from 5.2.2 to 5.30, but the new “Art” model didn’t work even after several tries to fix it (restarting my PC, recalibrating etc). The preview just showed the original pixelated image without any change. This is the 2nd time I had to completely uninstall Gigapixel AI and install it from scratch from the full installer for the new upscaling model to work. 1st time was a few weeks ago when the “Compressed” model was introduced. What’s the point of updating in app if things don’t work? Not good. Please fix this issue or put a warning which says that if we want the new version to first manually uninstall the old version and then install it again from scratch through the full installer.

I updated through the app from 5.2.2 to 5.30, but the new “Art” model didn’t work even after several tries to fix it (restarting my PC, recalibrating etc). The preview just showed the original pixelated image without any change.

Can you send me a screenshot of the application when it does this? It sounds like you don’t have auto-update preview on, and are not manually updating the preview.

The auto update preview was on. I am 100% sure because all other upscale models worked and auto updated perfectly fine and only the new “Art” model didn’t work. Unfortunately, I can’t send a screenshot anymore because I already fixed the issue by completely uninstalling the app and then installing it from scratch through the full installer. After doing that the “Art” model started working. Maybe there’s problem with the updater which prevents it from properly installing the new version on top of the old one? IDK, just guessing, but, as I said, exactly the same problem happened when the “Compressed” model was introduced - I had to completely remove the app and install it from scratch for it to work. It seems to be a recurring issue.

@taylor.bishop were you unable to support YUV? It still says unsupported… :frowning:

If supporting YUV is not an option… Is there any way for some sort of automatic conversion by Gigapixel to convert YUV to RGB? I really hoped that v5.3.0 would support it… hundreds of images that I have are YUV and manually converting them while also changing its timestamps is not an option for me :confused:

Downloaded and installed without any problems.

Downloaded the full installer and update GAI (Windows 10) with no issues. The Art mode is working fine and I didn’t uninstall the previous version before updating.

Gigapixel does not install plugin (automate) with Big Sur Clean Install with Photoshop CC 22.0.1. In fact, Denoise and Sharpen do not install plugins with Big Sur Clean Install with Photoshop CC 22.0.1. I submitted a support ticket this AM. As of this writing, no response.

Finally a version that gives me better results than the old 4.4.6. The color bleed protection works quite well from the few tests I did. I find that the “standard” model works better than the “artwork” model when it comes to anime-like digital pics (stuff with simple lines and coloring), but that might depend on the pic.

1 Like

I prefer the CPU mode with VINO, which gives more natural and cleaner results, but strangely it seems to be more prone to crashing. Turning off VINO improves the situation, but the results are different and slower. This trouble has been there since the beginning, and I expected to wait in silence for a solution, but it hasn’t come yet.

Tried updating to 5.3 on my 16" MacBook Pro running Mac OS Big Sur. My system goes into a kernel panic. This is repeatable. Help!!

Will be more than happy to send you the crash log. Please advise if you want.

Hi Taylor,

Just tried the new commercial release using the Ps 2021 GAI plugin on Win 10 Pro.

It did something I hadn’t seen before.

After I hit Apply to accept the GAI settings back to the Ps layer the entire time it was processing I could see its thought processes displayed in the upper right. I’d never seen that before. It was talking about its cortex and synapses and neural whatever’s the entire time. Did you know it does that? It felt like me talking myself thru the steps to follow in Ps to process an image! I wondered if it was going to say it plans to take over the world in there to see if we were paying attention. :grinning:

Hi
I installed version 5.3 on top of my 5.2.2 without checking that it’s not compatible with Mac OS Sierra. after that, the app crashes continuoulsy. I desvnstall the app and download version 5.2.3 but I have the same issue. What can I do to solve this?
thx

Solved, deleted app, reinstalling from Time machine backup

I prefer the CPU mode with VINO, which gives more natural and cleaner results, but strangely it seems to be more prone to crashing. Turning off VINO improves the situation, but the results are different and slower. This trouble has been there since the beginning, and I expected to wait in silence for a solution, but it hasn’t come yet.

It’s been a long time coming, but we finally have a fix for the artifacting on GPU. Expect a fix for that in the next few days.

We’re currently working with Intel to fix the OpenVINO crashing issues.

4 Likes

Hi JL, curious why you’re still on Sierra. That’s several OS’s behind… Bad for security.

Perhaps this is inspired by Luminar or similar which does that… I think it’s meant to be humorous?

Maybe it should just say “Hang on… Hang on… Hang on…” :wink:

1 Like