Gigapixel AI v4.6

Yes it will.

As far as OpenVINO is concerned the Intel(R) Distribution for Python will run on AMD hardware, I have see benchmarking where, in some cases, there can be inconsistent performance.

I believe also that if you have both selected on AMD hardware it will revert to CPU as was previously explained to me where my i7/GTX 1050/4GB was giving inconsistent results because both GPU & OpenVINO were active.

Once it was corrected, at least for my combination, there was a little difference between both but the OpenVINO option was a little faster.

I cannot imaging that your RTX2070/8GB is slower than the CPU, it just doesn’t seem right as except for the RTX2080 there is nothing that matches its performance. I suspect there may be other issues with GigaPixel processing as, in my case, performance increased on both when the calibration was corrected to select one in v4.5 … the processing using the GPU was 30 seconds (25% faster) and the CPU was 17 seconds faster (10%) for a specific scale factor of 2.5 for a 1600 x 2400 image.

Strange reply AiDon. Maybe it is a language barrier. After calibration both OpenVino and GPU usage are suddenly turned on again. I dunno why. But I can then - as you suggested - choose either OpenVino or the GPU. These does not solve the partially blurry issue, unfortunately.

OK, see this here where i reset to both on and then clicked “Use recommended settings”, then updated the preview to get it to recalibrate:

After recalibrating, leaves it as both:

Reset to GPU on, CPU off and “Use recommended settings”, then updated the preview to get it to recalibrate:

After recalibrating finishes:

So therefore there seems to be a bug, which may not only be in the panel because if I recalibrate and it selects only 1 I get an increase in performance of at least 20-30% on my system which is:

Application & Version: Topaz Gigapixel AI Version 4.6.0
Operating System: Windows 10 (10.0)
Graphics Hardware: GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 445.87
CPU RAM: 16269 MB
Video RAM: 4096 MB
Preview Limit: 6423 Pixels

Note that the GPU drivers are the latest also.

Maybe @eric can see why this is so because the benchmarking is only accurate if one option is Off, and also why are we able to select both options even after accurate benchmarking?

On my system I get 20%+ performance increase if it is benchmarked correctly … i.e. selecting one option on and one off before pressing the “Use recommended settings” button to calibrate performance.

1 Like

I just ran your test of calibration functionality three ways.

GPU On, and OpenVINO Off, Recalibrate and Both are On again.
GPU Off, and OpenVINO On, Recalibrate and Both are On again.
GPU Off, and OpenVINO Off, Recalibrate and Both are On again.

This was always the case with Use Max Quality AI set to either Yes, or No, and Memory Consumption at either Medium or High.

With Memory Consumption set to Low no matter what any of the other settings were before recalibrating it always ended up with GPU Off and OpenVINO On.

I suspect the switching logic in your test was different than mine because you were set to Medium Memory usage with a GPU that has 4Gb of memory, versus mine that has 8Gb.

1 Like

I checked the various timings again:

Max_Quality_Setting___No_______________Yes_______________Yes
Memory_Setting______High______________High______________Low
GPU_and_CPU_______6.1_sec__________9.16_sec_________13.11_sec
GPU_Only___________5.77_sec_________9.24_sec__________12.9_sec
CPU_Only___________8.2_sec__________15.2_sec__________12.56_sec
Both_Off___________44.37_sec________71.21_sec_________71.04_sec

The fractional second differences were fairly repeatable, but essentially insignificant.

I appreciate that they’ve built in a processing timer to the save function, but I wish it had just a bit more precision than rounded up seconds to show the subtle differences I was measuring with a stopwatch.

1 Like

Morning AiDon. I repeated what you did to get it calibrated as shown in your post but the final result is still only partially detailed (click to see the full image)

OK, it is time to raise a support request at the main website as it is inconsistent. Go to …

And fill out the form please.

1 Like

1 Like

+6.01x is a 2x upscaled.

Could be, but it looks like a bug as far as I’m concerned.

I am curious, do you get this kind of inconsistent result with all images, only some images, or only this one image?

This has happened to me, have installed it twice now. Each time it reverts back to 4.4.6. Thought I was loosing it!! As each update takes a while, I’m reluctant to try again. Is there a solution?

@ djjjk: Get the stand alone installer from their web site. Uninstall the old version and then install via the stand alone installer. :grinning:

I can’t speak about all photos. I can’t test them all. but it appears in many other images too. I do not want to spam more examples here btw. :grinning:

I upscaled my PPI from 72 to 120 in Gigapixel AI v4.6 but Photoshop shows the output file to still be 72 PPI. Am I doing something wrong?

ppi = pixels per inch is not a fixed size. it depends on your output device. this might either be the printer (dpi = dots per inch) or your monitor.

The PPI is for printing only and has nothing to do with monitor display. DPI is for printing too and it’s not the same as PPI.

PPI is the number of pixels in each inch of your image in a print. DPI is the number of dots of ink output by your printer per inch. There is no correlation between the two.

If you use PPI to upscale your image it will take the number of pixels and then increase the size of the image.

For a simple example a 720 x 720 image upscaled with your settings would become 1200 x 1200.

these units of measurement are related to a reference. in this case per inch. other units of measurement may have other references, for example per centimeter or per hour.

If you want to tell a fixed size/amount not related to a reference, you do that without a reference. in this case for example in pixels or in hours or in kilometers