Gigapixel 7.1.0 and Beyond

Hello, we are excited to announce a very significant update to Gigapixel with version 7.1.0 today. You can dig more into the details and changelog notes on this release thread, but we’ll cover some of the major changes in this post, as well as what’s coming next.

See the release thread here. Direct download links are available in that thread, but you can also use the in-app updater.

This release marks an important milestone for Gigapixel. In short, a grand total of 3 new incredible AI upscaling models have been added into Gigapixel 7.1.0, comparison view returns, we have implemented a new standardized Topaz UI framework, and to wrap it up we also added face selection, and crop rotation.

Before we launch into the update, we also want to talk a little bit about the previous release of Gigapixel version 7.0.0, and why we plan to continue updating and building out new features for Gigapixel alongside Photo AI and Video AI.

Looking Back on a Super Sized 7.0.0

Out of all our three Image Quality products, one application made a return to the limelight releasing its seventh version earlier this year.

Gigapixel AI ushered in a refreshed user interface with simplified tool tips for more preview visibility, as well as realigned our Preferences and Export Settings for better workflow.

Above: A side by side comparison of Gigapixel’s User Interface (Left: v6.3.3/Right: v7.0.0)

The upscaling application also made its comeback with revitalized AI models. The Standard v2 edition saw a reduction in blurry patches. High Fidelity v2 preserves grain consistency and gives a more natural textured look, especially for photos taken with modern large-sensor cameras.

1to2

Standard v2 improves blurry patches and details compared to the Gen1 Standard model

newhighfi2

High Fidelity v2 maintains more naturalized textures than before in this example

Because we know our upscaling was what put Gigapixel AI back on the map, it was imperative to implement a new code base to support the power behind these AI models as we scale beyond a billion pixels.

Our team has since then spent the last few patch updates monitoring bugs, re-establishing a fluid user experience, and optimizing performance leading up to this next release.

More recently, we’ve drastically sped up image loading with a personal benchmark of 20,000 images loaded in seconds and CPU usage reduced within milliseconds after compressing (Windows only, Input <1000px). Significant results we are proud to share.

We are excited to continue to expand what is possible in Gigapixel. Without further ado, we’d like to share with you what we’ve been building for the release of Gigapixel 7.1.0

Gigapixel 7.1.0 Arrives

Version 7.1.0 Updated User Interface

New “Recovery” AI Model for Upscaling (Beta)

A new player joins the Gigapixel AI Model line up that significantly improves quality for low resolution input images by intelligently generating minute details. While the Recovery model is slower than the other upscaling models, the results are truly stunning, and can be worth the wait.

Left: Original Input 610x350px. Right: Upscaled at 6x (3660px x 2100px)

Recovery is a diffusion-based generative AI upscaling model, which produces different results than our other upscaling models. The model performs very well when upscaling low-quality source images , for example images with low resolution or significant blur.

The model also seems to perform well on faces, buildings/structures and other objects. The detail slider allows you to control the level of generated detail in the image after the initial render in post-processing. We have found that detail settings in the 50-75 range work well for most scenarios.

Many of our beta testing users have generated incredible image recoveries on otherwise unrecoverable images such as old family photos for example. We are really excited to see what you can do with this new model.

We have plans to release significantly more performant and smaller versions over time – but you will need a powerful graphics card for this version of the model. We recommend upscaling images under 1000px by 1000px depending on the size of your graphics card. This model currently requires 6GB+ of VRAM, and runs best at 8GB of VRAM and above. Renders with the Recovery model may take several minutes even on relatively small images at the moment.

IMPORTANT: Even with large GPUs, upscaling images larger than 1000px may affect your system hardware due to lengthy runtimes, and is not recommended without careful monitoring. This model is also optimized to generate the best results on smaller images.

New “Text & Shapes” Model

Before/ After of improved text using Text & Shapes AI Model

We have added a new AI-upscaling model that enables more distinct patterns and shapes during upscaling with man-made objects or defined shapes such as cars or buildings, and even written text and fonts in multiple languages. The results we’ve been getting for these types of images are better than ever before with any of our prior models.

New “Low Resolution v2” Model (Beta)

Lowresv2b

Low Resolution v2 preserves more realistic details without overdoing contrast

The third model coming to Gigapixel 7.1.0 is a refresh of the Low Resolution AI upscaling model. This model has been upgraded into the second generation family of models, performing well out of the box for both low resolution and high compression images.

lowresgif

You will still have access to the Gen1 model as well, using the drop-down menu on the top right of the model selection panel.

Comparison View

A Snapshot of Comparison View in Use

The beloved comparison view makes its return debut with its notable four quad design. We’ve cleaned up how the interface is used, showing exactly which image you’re working on.

You can also now configure default settings for which AI models are used in the view and remember those settings for future use. We will continue to improve and support this view over time, and we have some more exciting updates in store.

Face Selection

Above: Face selection panel is available when Face Recovery is enabled

Face Selection has been added to Gigapixel, which will allow you to see the number of faces detected and manually choose which faces should be recovered. This is useful in scenarios where faces have been detected incorrectly, or when you simply don’t need to recover certain faces in your image.

Crop Rotation

Crop panel now allows for manual crop rotation

We have extended the Crop tool within Gigapixel, adding new capabilities into your workflow. Images can now be rotated to create perfect vertical or horizontal lines.

What’s Next for Gigapixel?

Our focus on the future of Gigapixel will be to bring physically accurate color and scale to your images, extending the existing capabilities to prepare your powerful upscaling results for showcasing in the real world, including for printing.

This involves:

• Increasing color accuracy and our handling of color spaces and color profiles
  • Increasing resolution beyond the current limitation of 1 billion pixels
  • Improving existing upscaling model capabilities for art and CG assets
  • Adding more ways to print both inside and outside of Gigapixel
  • Adding more capabilities to cropping at physical sizes
  • Adding back the ability to compare model outputs in detail

Beyond print, we are also expanding the ability to share and to display your images from Gigapixel to the world in the highest quality possible.

If you’re interested in getting a sneak peek, please apply to join our Beta Program. Users who join get a little extra perk for participating. We can’t wait to hear your thoughts and to make Gigapixel even better with your help.

Cheers,

Dakota Wixom
Product Manager, Topaz Labs

10 Likes

Great update… thanks a lot!

2 Likes

Will the new Gigapixel AI models be put in Photo AI too?

4 Likes

I second this question. I love Photo AI because I don’t want to have to visit multiple apps to make all the needed enhancements to a photo.

The intro to this page said Topaz would discuss “why we plan to continue updating and building out new features for Gigapixel alongside Photo AI.” I wasn’t able to find the answer in the post. Photo AI is great, Gigapixel is great, but I still don’t understand why they’re continuing to be separate products when there’s so much obvious overlap and most consumers just want to edit a photo in one app.

2 Likes

Awesome update. Thank you!

1 Like

Hey henry, no plans for that at the moment. But that doesn’t mean new models won’t come to TPAI. Do stay tuned.

Out of curiosity, which model do you want to see in TPAI in particular?

1 Like

Hey hkeely, fair enough! I’ll add some more color here if it helps.

Our user base for Gigapixel is quite different than our Photo AI users as a whole - and both apps will evolve in different directions. Photo AI will get better at handling RAW files and applying intelligent edits to your photos using selection, masking, and autopilot.

Gigapixel on the other hand will be focused on sheer performance, scale (no pun intended), and the color accuracy and quality needed for large-scale display and printing. Gigapixel is built for whole-image processing, which is what will make it faster at certain tasks.

The focus will allow us to deliver better experiences in both apps for the tasks at hand.

Cheers

5 Likes

Dakota, thank you for taking the time to answer this more clearly. I know my post came off as whiny when in fact your team has just given us such a stellar update to Gigapixel that it could as well just be version 8!

You asked Henry which model he wants to see in TPAI in particular. If I may chime in, I’m particularly blown away by the new Recovery model, though the Text & Shapes model is also a much desired improvement!

Thank you for continuing to develop amazing models to help us improve our photos! I love the software!

2 Likes

It was my understanding that Photo AI was to be the combination of Gigapixel AI, Denoise AI, and Sharpen AI in one app at a higher price. Therefore, I think, we all expect to have the functionality of each one in Photo AI. I am hoping that Photo AI will not be left out of improvements in each area. Thank you.

4 Likes

I agree with another user’s comment above, Dakota, that the “Text & Shapes” model just intro’d in GAI (in lieu of having to mask and activate “Text Recovery”) would be desirable in PAI also. It’s a cleaner approach and perceptually feels less like the product’s models broke something and then needs to fix it…

I assume that if that model is intro’d into PAI (and obviates the need to create an overlay mask and run a Text Recovery), that it would be run early in the workflow so that subsequent sharpens, denoises, etc. wouldn’t be doing double duty to make text/shapes readable. Or, would it have to be run at the workflow’s end in the UI as a ‘cleanup’ mechanism b/c the other models will impact the appearance of text/shapes?

3 Likes

So you’re telling me I need to buy Gigapixel for the 3rd time if I want the best enlargement models??
Seriously?

Who is making these decisions about product roadmaps?

I love the capabilities of the software you guys make, but after 6 years of this continual 'Buy the same thing over again crap I’m starting to get worn out.

I bought the original Gigapixel Unlimited

Then I was told that I had to buy Gigapixel again and updates would no longer be unlimited. So I bought it again.

Then a few years later gigapixel was apparently abandoned and everyone was pushed to buy and use Photo AI, and that was the only way we’d get updates, and that unifying things was the way forward. So I bought Photo AI.

Then Gigapixel came back out and people asked if we had to buy it again and we were told that gigapixel would just be the enlargement features of Photo AI.

Well apparently that’s not true. If gigapixel has better models, then it -doesnt- have the enlargement features of Photo AI, it has its own which happen to be better.

So your effectively telling me that if I want the best enlargement models, I have to buy Gigapixel again… for the third time… because Topaz isnt planning to put those models into the program you made me buy because you abandoned the one I already owned.

How many times must I continue to buy same programs over again?

4 Likes

I too must agree with jt6.

1 Like

e-mail posted by mistake.

Count me as stunned with the new models. If new models are debuting here before TPAI, or even if they don’t go to TPAI at all (I hope they do), may we get an Apple Photos extension for Gigapixel, please?