Gigapixel 7.0.5

My latest eye candy (random examples from lo-res digital, in this case screenshots of my Instagram posts) :wink:

2 Likes

Yellow colour Sliders came back! Thank you.

• Now, Tools panel has better “Visual appeal”.

• GP UI never look better, than now, with v.7xx.

Can you, please, bring back blue colour Slider, for “Face recovery” as well, and Big Progress bar, from PAI, that looks so nice.

1 Like

Just installed 7.0.5…
error message cant find 6.3
clicked on install anyways and it installed…

Using a Windows 11 machine, I received the following message when trying to launch either Gigapixel or Topaz AI through the Automate screen in Photoshop 2024. I was trying to modify a TIF file.

“The command “GigapixelGatheringDataFilter” is not currently available.”

Please advise.

2024-03-30_07-14-08

A quick question - is the Model “Standard V1” the model from 6.2.0, the model from 6.3.3, or something else? So basically is V2 new for v7 or does selecting V1 allow you access to the pre-6.3.3 model?

I haven’t installed any v7 GPAI previously but just installed 7.0.5 on my CPU with AVX but not AVX2 (using the full Windows installer in this thread) and it went fine (*). Although I believe Topaz use an unexpected method of determining the CPU type - rather than seeing what features the CPU has it I believe they look for something on the stored system info, somewhere.
See my post here for why I don’t think they just ask the CPU:

• Actually it said if the install continued it would uninstall 6.2.0, which was news to me as I was running 6.3.3 (and using the HQ model which isn’t in 6.2.0). Anyway it said it couldn’t find the uninstaller for 6.2.0 (unsurprisingly) but I could continue and it would uninstall it anyway. I said yes and it seemed to go okay.

Personally, I have version 7.0.3 installed. But yes, Gigapixel 7.0.4 and 7.0.5 share the same processor detection code as Photo AI 2.4.1 and 2.4.2. In short, a very bad code.

A bonus question - I see GPAI 7.0.5 doesn’t have a preference or save-dialog option to allow the input image to be sent or not sent to Topaz, can someone reassure me it never uploads images as I’m doing some stuff for a presentation that really isn’t allowed out in the wild?

Have you hit edit, preferences and in privacy disabled Anonymous Usage Tracking?

Yes, ran through every page.

The Privacy section in Photo AI looks like:

…and the save dialogue:

I was hoping the behaviour in GPAI v7, which seems more based on Photo AI, didn’t default to an option that could give me work issues…

So far I have tested with Newer camera images with standard V2 and High Fidelity v2. Also tried older pictures using the Very Compressed and the Low Resolution. So far all of my tests have the same results. No difference after the process.
Each time I use the 2X in the resize mode.

I tried one more time doing a Resize of 4X. Finally there is a difference. The processed picture is more blurry, not sure that was the intention of this software.

I also own Topaz Photo AI. That software works very well with most pictures.

Hi Jim,

Which OS/system are you working with?

and

What image format(s) did you experience the issues with? (.jpg, .tiff/.tif, Raw - which proprietary or .dng)

If you don’t mind sharing one of the images you saw no processing impact with, perhaps a few of us could give it a go to further replicate or endorse your experience…

Windows 10 Pro 22H2

CPU Ryzen 5

GPU NVIDIA 1080

RAM 16GB

I know my system needs updating but the Topaz Photo AI works as expected on this machine

Older photos tested were JPGs

From the Cannon Camera I was testing with PNGs

Have not tested RAW

Sorry I did not save any of the processed images as there was no detectable difference until I did a 4X in the Resize. That is when the details became more blurry.

Jim

~WRD0001.jpg

1 Like

This may not help but I tried again and found that the saved picture would be to big to email. But you can at leas see what I see in the screen capture.

~WRD0001.jpg

At 21% magnification it may be difficult to view the changes. Have you tried to bring it to 100% and view the details in the trees?

It looks like the output image has increased.

Thx Jim. I’m just home again. And, looking at a tablet vs my Win 11 PC.

But, at least on this display I see no Before/After difference. Quality-wise. The px dimensions increased, though,

However, I have another question for you! :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m glad you included your Settings panel in the screen capture. It’s what’s motivating my question.

Even though I can see you have High Fidelity 2 ticked on, it looks like the overall AI Model category switch above it is turned to Off. What happens if you change that switch to On, then try the models at 2x? Do you see a processing effect then?

If so, that would seem to be a coding “issue” the devs should probably fix. B/c, at least to my preferences, once a user clicks on any of those models it should automatically turn the switch to On for that category of settings. If that’s what is failing to happen, it suggests a “synapse” between the model or 2x or both isn’t activating the On switch for AI Model…

Hi Folks

I’m doing some research to see if Gigapixel is a good choice before purchasing it.
My main use for the app is to upscale some very old paintings with lots of cracks and imperfections on them. The thing is though, I want those cracks and imperfections to remain on the picture.

See this image for example. It’s 25 inches wide and the resolution is 72
I want to make it 300DPI and 50 inches or more for printing, but I also want all those cracks that you see to remain. Is that something that Gigapixel can do?

I have good luck with using the Art/CG module. It can leave it pretty much like you see it, just bigger. And you can choose to clean it a bit, if necessary.

2 Likes

In addition to the Art model suggested, I keep Denoising very low so it doesn’t ‘help’ by smoothing out what might be perceived as noise.

1 Like