Facial Recognition/Recovery issue in Photoai 3.0

I am upscaling a few thousand family photos and recently upgraded to Topaz Photo AI 3.0. So far it’s been a hassle and has slowed down production to almost nothing. I’m having a weird issue with facial recovery, in past versions i would select “all faces” then apply to all photos, this would result in the app successfully recognizing faces and upscaling them.

in 3.0 it seems to be recognizing faces that aren’t there, almost always at the bottom of the photo in the shap of a large horizontal rectangle.

here is a photo that i use as my “pilot” - it detects 4 faces Imgur: The magic of the Internet

i then copy these settings that I like to all the photos in the batch

In this photo it says it detects 1 face, however there are 3 face boxes in the preview Imgur: The magic of the Internet

in this photo it says it detects ZERO faces, however there is a face detection box in the water Imgur: The magic of the Internet

these boxes show up in almost the same place when they do show up. I opened a ticket with Topaz who instructed me to use the "All " option, which I did. With the same result. I even tried selected only faces that are in the subject, and it does the same thing.

Would you mind sending in some more information to get a better understanding of the problem you are having with this particular type of image? Please send the following information:

  1. The original image file.
  2. The processed image.
  3. A screenshot or description of the settings panel so I can see what adjustments were turned on.

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below.

Dropbox File Request

Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.

hey John I sent the files with instructions on how to recreate.

| john.topazlabs John S
April 18 |

  • | - |

Would you mind sending in some more information to get a better understanding of the problem you are having with this particular type of image? Please send the following information:

  1. The original image file.
  2. The processed image.
  3. A screenshot or description of the settings panel so I can see what adjustments were turned on.

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below.

Dropbox File Request

Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.

Hey john I uploaded one more screenshot, I loaded both pics, but went to Pic 1 first, it’s correctly detecting 1 face, but also has 2 greyed out rectangles on the bottom. Whenever they show up they always seem to be around the same spot. Bottom cornerish

hey John I sent the files with instructions on how to recreate.

| john.topazlabs John S
April 18 |

  • | - |

Would you mind sending in some more information to get a better understanding of the problem you are having with this particular type of image? Please send the following information:

  1. The original image file.
  2. The processed image.
  3. A screenshot or description of the settings panel so I can see what adjustments were turned on.

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below.

Dropbox File Request

Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.

Thanks for sending in those files. I was able to reproduce this issue that you have reported here and there is a task made for the team to investigate. We will be sure to reach back out to you once the issue is fixed.

• Topaz 3.0.2 on Mac OS X 14.5 using a Mac Studio M1 Ultra and 128 GB RAM

  • (should you need more info I can provide — but I can do without the condescending “We need logs” “We need to see if your 1990’s Dell will run our software”). Because logs are NOT the issue. Shitty output with the latest version of Topaz Photo is the issue.

Here is the original unretouched image:

Here is the horrible squared head effect using Topaz:

I’m not sure what is stopping Topaz folks to correct these failures. So let’s look at some of them systematically:

#1: Heads and Faces are NEVER rectangular. They are much more often oval or if not pear shaped. This is obviously not intuitive to your team; and I strongly suggest it should be challenged to them.

The OBVIOUS solution to this issue is to:

A) have FaceAI use AI to define the outline of the head.

B) have FaceAI use a diffusion filter formula on the perimeter of the detected head that is proportional to the pixels of the head itself. i.e. the better the head; the lesser the diffusion.

C) the results will be a blended solution of overall frame enhancements without the jarring impacts of a rectagonal franken-face.

The obvious solution is to fix the new Adjust Lighting effect, which is the cause of what you’re seeing.

Adding Adjust Lighting initially gives the correct result, which I’m able to export.

But clicking onto other parts of the UI causes the rectangle to appear, which will carry through to the exported image.

If I then make a minor adjustment to Adjust Lighting the preview will regenerate, the rectangle will disappear, and that image will export ok.

This is on Win10.