Face Reconstruction (Refinement) for small faces

I agree 100%. The Topaz team is doing a fantastic job. That said, there is so much AI today that it has become a real jungle. And this is just the beginning. At least, they have many choices and opportunities to improve their products, but it’s hard to find the right AI to fix or improve the face, the hair, the skin, etc. It’s a real pain.

1 Like

Yeah, even when Gigapixel first came out with face reconstruction model, it would work miracles on the face, yet the hair, etc was not as clear as the face, but they got past that roadblock, just as they’ll end up transferring that tech over to TVAI.

1 Like

Yes, I remember that. You’re right. Speaking of hair, it’s way better with Gigapixel 6.3.2! It’s not quite there yet, and it’s not perfect, of course, but they seem finer and don’t have that dirty or “greasy” look. And most importantly, with less sharpening and contrast. Hair is always a real problem for every AI. I don’t know a specific AI capable of doing a fantastic job with hair. Except, maybe, Photoshop with the neutral “Photo restoration” BETA filter (Photo enhancement and Enhance face) to fix the weird “greasy” look with the hair and to look finer here and there, just a tiny bit, but that’s pretty much it.

1 Like

Remini’s latest update (on Android at least) now has amazing face-focused video enhancement! It’s much better than the AVCLabs video enhancer in terms of faces, but it’s not perfect, but it’s the best I’ve seen. It still has visible “enhancement focus area” squares around each face in certain settings. It is also limited to <60 seconds and <60 mb, but their progress in face video enhancement is very welcome in a future version of Topaz Video AI, especially if it includes an opacity slider like in Photo AI.

3 Likes

Definitely, I’d love to be able to enhance more of my customer’s films but unless the subject is close to the camera it converts them into hideous creatures, so for the moment TVAI can only be used on footage with no people in it for compressed video. It works much better on my cine film transfers, however they are much higher resolution and far less compression.

1 Like

Only just found this thread.

Re: GFPGAN, GPEN, CodeFormer are designed for photo, they don’t work well with video.

Downloaded CodeFormer to try!
Your AVCLabs image upscale example looks good.

I used AVC !! stopped using it quickly the current face construction in the beta is miles better than avc which asks are their few or many faces then runs then crashes till a fix is available then it is slow and the license has expired chat gpt in 3.0 liked the software since chat gpt 4.0 is available it has been removed from AI video software chatgpt does learn quickly and yes topazlabs is highly advised by chatgpt 4.0

AVCLabs is slow but better then Topaz, thanks for encouragement to try it buddy :slight_smile:

Good no Topaz is because AVC use only I so now, Eskimo to ice cream sell he where instagram on face his see clown I like.

Topaz then better much is it find and AVC try I best is Topaz that user real from user I hear now, well very work it and face fix could Topaz so down ran him clown chase I computer with ran but AVC use was good the quality of topaz with processed and clown a film used.

You real user and Topaz hit a new low.
Just sad ru and topaz.

Times move fast in the realm of AI Enhancements…

Regarding this topic:

I succesfully chained Codeformer and some GAN Models together via Vapoursynth - first upscaleing then refining of faces… Code former also found its way in many stable diffusion GUIs for exactly this face refinement (code former being one example, other algos exist …)…

so my personal prediction is, that the times of zombie faces are coming to an end in roughly the time of the next year…

It appears to me from several videos that I recently upscaled using the Proteus default, that the May '22 product feature request, to add Face Enhancement to Video Enhance AI has been fulfilled. I find the face enhancement to be quite useful generally but a bit artificial looking when left at full value, notably where eyes appear a bit detached or enlarged when the subjects eyes are not facing straight ahead or partially closed. In your other tools with Face Enhancement, you offer the ability to control the transparency of that layer and I can therefore get the right mix. I would love to see this Face AI transparency throttle offered in Video AI. Thanks!

1 Like