"DeNoised" file size reduced

Continuing the discussion from DeNoise 3.5.0:

Has anyone had a problem with the 3.5 upgrade making the “DeNoised” file smaller? All the JPG files I “DeNoised” with the 3.5 update went from their original sizes of 8-12mb before “denoising” to 2ish mb after. If I want to make a large print of these images, the file size will be too small. When I processed images in the previous version they stayed close to the same size. Any thoughts? Also, how can you revert to the previous version? Thanks in advance.
Mike

I had that exact issue today - found your question when I was looking for a solution. Have you ben able to find a solution? I have a ~24MB file that I ran through Denoise 3.5 and now it’s a 4.3MB file. I don’t recall that happening to that degree in the past. I don’t know if I can revert back, but I may just delete and reload an earlier version

I too have been concerned with the smaller file sizes and the absence of any explanation from Topaz Labs. I don’t see how there can’t be a loss of quality with a substantial reduction in file sizes. As such, I reverted back to version 3.3.4 which seems to be the last version that does not result in a reduction. I have version 3.5.0 running on a second computer, but I am not comfortable with the output from it. I suppose it will save me money on future upgrades.

1 Like

I am having this same issue all of a sudden with Sharpen. It was fine a couple of weeks ago and now all of a sudden it is reducing image file sizes substantially. Example: 18mb jpg is now reduced to 5mb jpg after processing it through Sharpen.

Here is a reply I got from support in regards to the same issue with Sharpen. He mentioned DeNoise in his reply to me, but meant Sharpen. They did the same thing with Sharpen that they did with DeNoise:

"Thanks for reaching out!

This is expected behavior with JPEG files in v3.4 of DeNoise AI. Our max JPEG output quality went from 100 to 95, which reduces the file size dramatically since it’s now able to compress slightly instead of blowing up the image size.

We’ve made this change to reduce the file size given that JPEGs still lose color information as it’s not lossless. The quality difference should be negligible."

All of my images are RAW files, DeNoise still reduce the size to be too small to be used.

But if I save my RAW image as TIFF, the size is okay.

Very strange feature. I hope I did not update the software.

1 Like

I am getting a smaller image in physical size out than the raw file. I want a jpg the smae size how do I do this?

The same thing is suddenly happening to me making this program unusable!

1 Like

Here’s what is happening –

If I choose an original file of 4.6mb and run it through AI and then save/export the file – one of two things are happening.

If I save that 4.6mb file and the Format is set for “Preserve Input Format” it saves that file 4.6mb after processing at 2.0mb. Less than 50%

If I save that same 4.6mb file and Format is set for “JPEG” it saves that same 4.6mb after processing at 5.2mb. Actually, increasing the file size.

Obviously, each file is handled differently, and end results will vary per each process, but the difference in choosing your export Format as “Preserve Input Format” versus “JPEG” is significant. Users are not realizing the difference and are complaining on message boards, etc. that their file size is decreasing. I am not sure what the Format “Preserve Input Format” does differently, but if the user is assuming they are running a JPEG through AI and they choose “Preserve Input Format”, that they do not have to specifically chance the output Format to JPEG to maintain overall file size, they will have this problem.

Going from 90% to 100% on the output slide makes the change to maximize file size, but the real problem is the perceived “Preserve Input Format” makes a significant decrease in file size on export and people don’t realize that the only way to preserve file size is to go into the drop-down menu and specifically request JPEG for export.

Using the drop-down menu to select has no impact on file size for me, a new user who bought the Topaz photo software at the recommendation of other users.

I’d had the software less than a month when I realized the dramatic impact on file size.

Today, I stopped using the software. I cannot believe dropping a file’s size from 24 or 33 megs to just 3 or 4 is not a problem.

If my conclusion is wrong, please explain how this downsizing does not mean the loss of data or affect the quality of the image.

So, I’m having the same issue and I did a series of exports to see if I could isolate where it’s going “wrong”.
-First I exported out of LR with no changes - file size 15.7 mb
-Ran Denoise from LR and exported - file size 17.8 mb

• Imported to PS and exported with no changes - file size 14.8 mb
  • did some work on the PS file and exported again (just layers, no crop) and export was 10.9 mb

when I imported file into PS and THEN ran Denoise from PS, did my work my file size was 8.2 mb…so, not sure if this is something with order of operation or???

When I has the issue with reduction in file size I went back and re-installed DeNoise AI v3.3.4. That was the version before the version that reduced file size