DeNoise 3.4

I just updated Denoise to 3.4.2 for Windows. I loaded a 48Mpx file and set it to 50% zoom. First, the RAW model works fine and the preview updates in 1 second. Saving the file as a jpg took 12 seconds. Opening the result in Affinity Photo the result was excellent. Of course, it still needs further processing to make it stand out but great job Topaz. Windows 10, GPU Radeon RX5600 XT.

Hi Patricia

What do you mean by ā€˜full uninstallā€™, please?

Thanks

Mark

^^^ this!

I seriously doubt you see any diffraction on aps-c at f/8.
At f/11, it might start to be visible.

Just either a poor camera or poor lens, or misuse, not diffraction.

Stop misinformation on crop sensors.

1 Like

Looks like diffraction starts at about f/5.6 on an APS-C sensor with 15 megapixels.

On a D800 with 39 megapixels at f/11, the diffraction is already up to 50% of the opposite pixels, i.e. the image is already blurred.

In the example above we have 24 megapixels at f/8 (APS-C), which should be close to f/11 at 39 megapixels on a FF.

Thatā€™s why I canā€™t get along with sensors that have high megapixel numbers.

And according to the Digital Picture, my 14mm L 2.8 II on the EOS 5DsR is at least as bad at the edges as the Sony FE 14 mm f1.8 GM on the A1.

EF 14mm 2.8L II vs Sony FE 14mm 1.8 GM

Hi, I too have the same problem with DeNoise AI, both with version 3.4.1 and with the latest 3.4.2, I went back to 3.3.4. Iā€™m using Win 7 64bit

Thanks,
Michele

You are right that the rule of thumb about diffraction is affected by the sensors photon size but most DSLR manufactures include software adjustments to limit diffraction.

My EOS M50, a APS-C 24MP, is dreadful because the sensor just does not capture enough information even in good lighting conditions. So a f4 lens on the M50 stopped down to f5.6 seems to give sharper results but falls away after that.

Whereas on my Sony A7M3, a full frame 24mp, a f4 lens stopped down to f8/f11 is acceptable.

1 Like

Diffraction is something that can be calculated.

I use:

And it says that diffraction on APS-C / 24 Mpx only starts at f/8 and start to be really noticeable at f/11.

Certainly not as soon as f/5.6, fortunately.

I am pretty sure you have an issue with your gear, this is not an optical effect of APS-C.

1 Like

In any case different lenses have different sweet spots for sharpness and you can only find that by testing those lenses on a particular camera.

1 Like

That was exactly my point.

The OP said: ā€œAPS-C sensors have diffraction at f/5.6 and my shoots have soft corner at f/8 because itā€™s APS-Cā€™s diffractionā€.

His issue is rather a lens with soft corners or any other technical issue.

1 Like

Nothing fancy. Dragged the DeNoise folder to trash along with plist files. Restarted. Downloaded a fresh installer from the website and installed.

I downloaded Denoise Ai version 3.4 and Iā€™m using Mac OS Big Sur 11.6.1. DeNoise will only work as a stand alone product. It is not shown in Photoshop.

Anyone else experiencing this?

If you read my previous post I also said the APS-C sensor on the EOS M50 was so bad diffraction starts to happen at f5.6.

You donā€™t get it : my discussion is with the original poster, TPX, not you.

But you replied to me.

Many thanks Patricia!

Iā€™m a complete newbie as far as Macs are concernedā€¦

Just followed your instructions and Iā€™m up and running again :slight_smile:

This was a significantly better experience than any past Topaz software installation Iā€™ve had to do. Just drag and drop in the Applications folder. I hope you plan to update the other apps with this kind of build in the future!

1 Like

Where are the plist files stored? I tried deleting and re-installing, but it was still crashing on start-up for me.

On a Mac, the path to the plist file (for DeNoise) is User > Library >Preferences > com.topazlabs.TopazDeNoiseAl.plist.

thank you for this. It works after removing the plist and running the installer