DeNoise 3.3

No it won’t unfortunately. The Photoshop plugin works differently than the standalone in that it does not pass us the RAW file itself. It just passes us the pixel data to work with directly. This means we’re missing information that is required for the RAW model to work.

Right now the RAW model only works in standalone mode. In the future we plan on supporting Lightroom via a plugin, but I don’t know if it’s possible to support Photoshop through the plugin.

1 Like

in the future could be be possible to open the raw file in denoise ai and export the processed file from denoise to photoshop

I’m not fully sure what you mean by export to Photoshop. If you export a RAW from DeNoise AI you can save it as a DNG, and then import that DNG into Photoshop but there’s no automatic process for this as far as I’m aware.

Can you describe what your workflow is?

i have another programme and i can open the raw file in that and when it is processed it exports the file as a dng directly into adobe camera raw without having to save it and reopen it again

The 3.3.1 release seems to have resolved nothing. When passing a TIF file into DeNoise (standalone) it still refuses to overwrite the file and instead creates a new file. What ever happened to “Apply”? In addition, DeNoise doesn’t automatically close after the “Save”, instead it has a second screen showing “Close panel” and when you do that you have to wait for DeNoise to preview the file again before you can quit the application. Just so manny additional steps to what used to be a simple and straightforward process.

Reinstalling 3.2 until this is resolved.

3 Likes

I did finally get 3.3.1 to overwrite the Tiff, but only after:
Uninstalling DeNoise.
Removing DeNoise as an external editor in LR. Closing LR.
Install 3.3.1
Start 3.3.1 standalone. Close it.
Start up LR and add DeNoise as external editor.

Doing the file copy of the new LR template did not work for me. I got .tif (1), .tif (2), etc…

To be clear on my previous post, I tried copying the LR template file first, and that did not work. After I completely uninstalled/reinstalled DeNoise, it worked for me, overwriting the exported .tif.

How are you running the application? In 3.3.1 you should be able to do Edit In in Lightroom and get into external editor mode which will overwrite on save which is what it sounds like you want. Standalone mode is for modifying and exporting separate images, not overwriting.

You can verify what type you’re in by looking at the version number at the top left of the application. In Standalone it will just be something like 3.3.1, but in External Editor mode it will be “3.3.1 External”, and in PS plugin mode it will be “3.3.1 Plugin”.

My fix above should work for you – I had an ON1 plugin sitting in that wrong folder too…

I’ve tried a total reinstall of DeNoise 3.3.1
Opened it from Applications before dealing with LR.
I had deleted Topaz out of LR External Editor list
I opened LR and added Topaz to the list
I restarted LR.
LR sends the Tiff to Topaz, Topaz opens (and appears to be the normal program not an external editor but this is how it has always opened for me out of LR).
Once Topaz is ready to process it pops up the Save box (this is what it never did before).
It now still saves a new Tiff instead of overwriting.
Nothing has been solved as far as I can see.

I don’t know about the “External version” you mention. When LR exports via Edit In it just opens the normal Topaz (icon jumps and opens on my dock). But this is what it always did pre 3.3.0.

I followed your procedure twice now and I’m still getting the “Save” dialogue box popping up and that then saves a new Tiff file instead of overwriting the Tiff I had sent from LR.

If you don’t want to move the lrtemplate file, you could try editing the lightroom preset:
In LR, open preferences and go to External Editing tab.
Half way down, under ‘Additional External Editor’, select Topaz Denoise AI in the Preset pulldown.
Under that, you’ll see the application it will load – either ‘Topaz DeNoise AI.lnk’ or ‘Topaz DeNoise AI External Editor.lnk’.
If it is not showing ‘Topaz DeNoise AI External Editor.lnk’, then click the Choose button to the right and point to the executable file in your Topaz Denoise AI install directory.
To save this preset, click the Preset pulldown menu again and select ‘Update Preset…’
This should work immediately, without LR restart.

1 Like

I’m not sure where to see the .Ink
Under my External Editor List it lists Application: Topaz DeNoise AI
If I go to choose then the only thing I can find to choose is the Topaz DeNoise AI Application
It is not using the External editing version on my iMac.

I just updated to 3.3.1 from 3.2.0 on my MacBook and at first it was referencing the regular application but then I noticed there were two Topaz DeNoise AI items in the External Editor List. One of those is the External one so it is now working properly on my MacBook.

But I can’t find the option for launching the External version of Topaz on my iMac which is where I first updated to 3.3.0 and then 3.3.1 earlier today. In that list I only see a single Topaz DeNoise AI listed and it keeps linking to the main program and not the External version.

Perhaps you could try making your own alias for the external editor?

In Win, the external editor link is just a shortcut to Topaz DeNoise AI.exe with a [ --external-editor] argument tacked on the end of the Target field (note the space before --):
Target: “C:\Program Files\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz DeNoise AI\Topaz DeNoise AI.exe” --external-editor
Start in: “C:\Program Files\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz DeNoise AI”

I would expect a 3.3x install to have an alias there already. Perhaps LR is looking for executables only – change to ‘all files’ to see alias files maybe. In Win, links show up alongside executables, so this step isn’t necessary.

Thankyou very much for this solution! It solved the problem. Now I can wait for my hair to grow back.

1 Like

Sorry, this is not a solution, it is a very kludgy workaround.

Unfortunately that is not the case, it is not opening as an external editor, and it does not pass the edits back to ON1.
I uninstalled and reinstalled and tried again, same results.
One thing I have noticed, there is an external version executable listed in the TopazLabs LLC/Denoise directory as well as the Denoise executable. I have tried calling both from ON1 but have not seen any difference in how they operate. I do not see such a file structure in any other Topaz directory.

Pardon me, to be perfectly clear, it is not an executable but a shortcut, but it does not appear to run the external editor, it runs stand alone version (the best that I can tell, since it operates exactly the same).

Hope this helps.

Sorry, my comment was about ON1 template file/plugin being in the wrong Lightroom folder, for LR users. Not sure about Denoise from ON1…
PS The shortcut for Denoise external editor does run the main executable, but adds an argument to the command ( --external-editor), so Denoise should run differently.

Hopefully Topaz can sort things out for the majority of users soon… glad to have helped a few in the meantime though.

2 Likes

Hi, I was going to start a new thread, but don’t seem to be able to do so. I am using Denoise as a plug in on Luminar 4. I see that when I apply the denoise option it changes the colour profile of the image, it seems more garish. I can re-adjust the colour, but don’t know if this a bug or what. I don’t seem to have the same issue with Affinity Photo.

I tried to attach a couple of photo’s to demonstrate my point, but am not allowed to post pictures :see_no_evil: