DeNoise 3.3

I think he meant “NVIDIA QUADRO RTX 5000” :grinning:

1 Like

Haaaa. I see. It should have specified quadro hahaha.

@adam.mains Why does the v3.3.4 installer not copy the external editor preset to the right folder location on the mac when “Store presets in catalog folder” is turned on? It seems like the install script ought to just branch its copy instruction depending on that setting

I noticed an issue with the RAW export to DNG process that is likely to contribute to some of the image issues mentioned above - DeNoise does not seem to retain the embedded camera/lens profiles that are stored in the RAW images out of Micro Four Thirds cameras (and possibly others). This means that the automatic corrections that Lightroom applies to correct vignetting, distortion, etc to match your lens profile in-image RAW data, don’t get applied.

Here’s what I mean:

Here’s a RAW file in RW2 format from Panasonic GX9 camera, using a 14-140 lens. You can see this information is embedded in the RAW.

-image goes here-

This information is then used by Lightroom to automatically correct lens distortions:

-image goes here-

However, if you process the RAW through DeNoise first and then save as DNG, it corrupts the embedded lens profile data:

-image goes here-

… which means that Lightroom cannot automatically correct the innate distortions etc caused by the lens, as there is no lens profile available. You can do so manually but it’s very tedious.

-image goes here-

This seems to be a flaw inherent in the RAW import/export model for DeNoise, since if I first import the RAW to Lightroom, export as a TIF, and then process as a TIF in DeNoise, the lens profile information is retained throughout the process.

-image goes here-

EDIT : This forum refuses to let me post images despite supposedly being at Basic level and being able to do so. If anyone from Topaz wants to see the screenshots, feel free to contact me.

1 Like

I believe that even for Micro 4/3rds the lens corrections are applied when the RAW image is opened. Then it is saved to DNG.

The DNG saved is NOT a RAW file.

My understanding was that DNG is just Adobe’s universal RAW format and as such it should preserve all data? It does seem odd that DNG is the ONLY format DeNoise works with that does not preserve this data.

Try using TIF format. DNG is Adobe’s archive format for RAW files, note you cannot recover a RAW image from an Adobe DNG unless you save the original RAW image in the DNG.

I’m currently using TIF. The downside is, I can’t use DeNoise in a simple workflow that goes RAW → DeNoise → Lightroom → post-processing.

Instead, I have to go RAW → Lightroom → basic post processing → TIF → DeNoise → TIF → Lightroom → final post-processing.

It’s much scrappier and means you cannot just de-noise without first doing some of your basic colour corrections etc, which you could if DeNoise just preserved the lens profiles (i’ve checked and Lightroom will still apply corrective lens profiles to a DNG that has been processed through other sources).

I believe that is because Topaz writes Linear DNG files and they cannot be used as RAW images because they don’t have a color filter array (CFA) pattern which is what covers the sensor surface in your camera.

Also note that the Lens Profiles don’t affect the color only Camera Profiles can do that. LR (I only used up to LR6) wont let you apply a Camera Profile, under Camera Calibration, unless it is a RAW image. I believe that it would show as Embedded for Linear DNG, JPG, TIF or PNG.

Raw image from Canon EOS 5D MkIV: Denoise + Sharpen = smooth green image. Not quite what I was expecting…

I can’t upload raw images here so have added them to a Dropbox link here:

Hope this is useful!

Output from Denoise: This looks green in thumbnail/preview but when actually opened in Photoshop is OK, but when opened in Sharpen is green. Also all the picture metadata is gone (Camera type, make, etc) which isn’t helping.

Try TIF output to see if that makes a difference.

I just want to ask if someone can help me.
My Macbook Pro 13 M1 hangs up every time I want to import a photo from Lightroom (dng, raw, tiff, … whatever) into Sharpen, Denoise and Gigapixel.
Could someone please help me there?

Hi everyone, somehow on my MBP 13" with 10.15.7 catalina, any topaz apps won#t work anymore, i installed de noise from 3.3 back to beta, but i just won’t open. keepsjumping, but nothing appears. i de and re installed, deleted, restarted, but no outcome.

any suggestions here guys? I got a pretty white buteo buteo i need to denoise.
thank you so much!

Falk Ritter

I just “upgraded” today and my workflow was killed, as others have reported (i.e. denoised photos are not appearing back in the open LR catalog). I tried doing what you suggest - uninstalling, reinstalling, etc., and it has not fixed the problem. I’m on a Mac running Catalina and using Lightroom Classic 11.1.