Dark Artefacts on Sharpening in PhotoAI 2.1.x

Since the update to version 2.1.x I got dark artefacts after sharpening. It will be seen in PhotoAI and also in the TIF after saving. It doesn’t make any difference if I work with PhotoAI as Standalone or I start it as a Plugin from Lightroom or Photoshop. The errors are displayed in a different place for each attempt.

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Sending a image form Lightroom to PhotoAI via menu Edit in PhotoAI
  2. Shapening with default settings (sets by AutoPilot) with AI model Standard
  3. After the preview was actualized the dark artefacts will be shown in PhotoAI and on saving it will be also including in the TIF file.

If I change from the Standard model to another model (like “Strong” or “Lens Blur”) and the back to the “Standard” model it works fine without such artefacts.

I also try to go back to PhotoAI version 2.0.7. It worked perfect.
The problems appears with version 2.1.0. In this version it showed only a few time. In the recent version it appears almost every time.

Topaz Photo AI v2.1.x on Windows 10 Prof. 22H2

Log file:2023-11-27-17-04-50.tzlog (245.9 KB)
System info: DxDiag.txt (89.6 KB)
Error in PhotoAI:

Result.

I am seeing this issue as well with my Fuji GFX 100s. I have not had it on any Nikon D850 images. I am moving the images out of CaptureOne as a tiff. The artifact does not show in the preview but when saved back to CaptureOne. Running the image multiple times yields the artifact in different locations.

I’m using RAW files from the Canon EOS R5

Exactly the same here using Nef filchange the sharpenins from Z9. Also a horizontal white stripe sometimes. When I change the sharpening value the artifacts disappear even when I put it back to the value it was before when it had the artifacts.

I’m in contact with the Topaz support. I’ll hope they can help.

The same in PhotoAI 2.1.3 :disappointed_relieved:

Using raw files from Sony a1. Same artifact but it seems to happen when I override the model and combine my own mix of noise reduction and sharpening - I almost always have to reduce sharpening (the given result is too crunchy) and add a small separate amount of noise reduction. I make a few small tweaks to the sliders and the artifiact goes away.

I found a workaround for me. In the Sharpen section of the preferences I set the option Model Strength to “Very Weak”. After the AutoPilot has analyze the image and the preview was generated no artefact is seen. Then you can set the strength of sharpening to every value that’s needed. No artefacts are visible after saving.

In PhotoAUI 2.1.4 the problem alreay occurs.

@mac.carraway, @m.van.lisdonk: Please contact the Topaz support and send them the appropriate infos especially ablut the used hardware. The support has contact me and they suggest a problem with the NVidia GTX 10xx or 16xx cards. I can’t believe that. The more information you have, the better it is to locate the error

I’m having the same issue as well and just started occurring after update version 2.2.0.
It seems to occur when the Auto feature places the Blur type to Standard. Changing that mode, to one of the other modes like Strong or Lens Blur, stops it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.