[Crop + rotation issue] - crop + rotation on vertical photos results in incorrect output (Squashed)

Older RAW files I load into Photo AI 3.4.1 for editing become cropped; the bottom and right-hand portions of the images are significantly cropped. The original input file is fine but the exported .DNG reflects the crop.

– See attached for Photo AI log file.
2024-12-21-20-39-19.tzlog (175.3 KB)

– See attached for before/after screenshots.

– Steps to reproduce issue:

  1. Open Photo AI
  2. Drag .CR2 file to Photo AI
  3. Run recommended actions

– System Profile
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro18,1
Model Number: MK193LL/A
Chip: Apple M1 Pro
Total Number of Cores: 10 (8 performance and 2 efficiency)
Memory: 16 GB
System Firmware Version: 11881.1.1
OS Loader Version: 10151.140.19.700.2
Serial Number (system): J1Q4C5XKT2
Hardware UUID: 44A8C4EF-0F91-5F12-A041-7EB3D7FF539A
Provisioning UDID: 00006000-001049240CA3801E
Activation Lock Status: Enabled

Topaz Photo AI [v3.4.1] on [Mac]

I’ve had this issue too. I have raised it in the main thread, but no one from Topaz has yet offered an adequate explanation other than that it’s possibly related to camera model.

Hi @rayinsanmiguel - thank you for the feedback. When you have a moment let me know what model camera caused similar issues for you. My file is from a Canon 5D MK II, which isn’t that old a model (in my opinion); knowing the backstory for your issue could help connect the dots for the overall issue.

Thank you again.

Mine was with a Sony A6000. It may have also occurred when I upgraded a couple of years later to the 6300. I now have the 6700 and haven’t seen the problem in that.
Also I don’t know if it was occurring with earlier versions of TPAI. It certainly doesn’t occur with TSAI, but then that doesn’t have a cropping function.

Hello both,

This can be related to Auto-Rotate being activated in-camera for Sony, and will not occur if turned off. It seems to give issues when combined to a crop and or rotation.

Make sure to test another file shot in portrait with Auto-Rotate off and let me know how if goes!

Rotating an image within Photo AI should be very easy, but it isn’t.

I tried the Crop feature and I was able to rotate the image, but with its new orientation much of the image area was cropped away after rotation.

A feature as simple as basic image rotation should obviously be included in this app.

TPAI has a known bug with crop+rotate on portrait-orientation images. If this is where you’re having problems, you can search the forum for a discussion but until Topaz fixes it, the easiest solution is to do crop+rotate in another program.

It still surprises me that a simple operation like “ROTATE” cannot be integrated into Topaz AI.

I don’t often change the level in my photos, but every time I do in Topaz Photo AI the result is a squashed photo. My workaround is to use another tool to change the level. I am using RAW Canon R5 M II for the source files.
Uploading: _5ML7885-rawdenoise-crop.jpeg…
Uploading: _5ML7885without-level-adjustment-rawdenoise-crop.jpeg…

@theodore_sardena
Added you to this thread where we track users who flagged this issue. This can be related to Auto-Rotate being activated in-camera, and will not occur if turned off. Your workaround is valid until we can fix this.

The rotation issue has been a problem in Photo AI for as long as I can remember and was disappointed to see it still exists in the new Topaz Photo as of 10/10/2025.