Crashes with AMD drivers

I’ve been having issues with my computer losing its video feed (black screen) while photos are being rendered. Appears to be a conflict with the AMD drivers because I have to reboot the computer when it happens. When it restarts, it’s running the Windows video driver, requiring me to reinstall the AMD drivers. It’s pretty random when it happens, but usually when I’m trying to render several pictures at the same time.

My system:
Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 2009 (build 19045.2965)
Board: ASRock X370 Pro4
3.40 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core
32702 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Radeon RX 590 Series [Display adapter]
AMD Driver 23.5.1

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Step 1
  2. Step 2
  3. Step 3

Topaz Photo AI [v1.x.x] on [Windows/Mac]

Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like Topaz Photo AI and the AMD graphics card may be drawing too much voltage from the power supply and the graphics card is shutting down.

What is the power supply on your computer?

One option would be to install the AMD Adrenaline software and decrease the voltage/power requirements for the AMD graphics card to prevent this behavior.
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/software

If your power supply is on the low side, you may want to update the power supply to handle the voltage requirements when processing images.

Thanks for the response. I’d considered the power draw, but I installed a new 650w power supply when I installed the card, aprx 6 months ago. Both were done to increase the performance of Photo AI.

I’m running AMD Adrenaline and have monitored the card temp while processing. Thought it might be an issue caused by the fan ramping up, but I haven’t had any issues while playing graphic intensive video games.

I was wondering if there might be a conflict with Photo AI and the AMD drivers, since after it occurs and requires a hard reboot to get control of the computer again, the video drivers revert back to the Microsoft drivers and require a reinstall of the AMD drivers.

I’ll try a couple more things. Let me know if you hear of any similar issues.

Thanks

Could you try decreasing the voltage? There may be a voltage spike that is shutting down the graphics card. The temperature may not be the issue here.

I’ve had reports of this behavior related to power supply issues, but usually it does not revert the video drivers.

Ran a test on a group of photos and the GPU wattage maxed at 187. Looks like the max wattage for the RX590 is 225w. I’ve set up a custom tuning in Adrenaline for Photo AI, with a 10% decrease on the power limit and the fan running at 50% minimum (just in case). Couldn’t find a setting for voltage alone. Ran another batch of photos and only maxed to 169w. We’ll see if that’s resolved things.

Hi @jeff.crowder, just checking back in – was everything working for you with the power changes you made?

Seems to be less frequent, but there have been a couple of occurrences. I might try dropping the max level down another 10% to see if it helps. I’m guess it won’t affect the performance until the rendering reaches that level.

Got it! That’s a good sign if it’s becoming less frequent with that nudge down, hoping that an additional nudge helps even further. If you have a local computer hardware store that you’re able to take your system to they might be able to check in on the voltage spikes, could be a small hardware issue that can be resolved by replacing a part!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.