Video Enhance AI v2.0.0

The only workaround for me at the moment is to scale PAL-DV 720x276 with 250% to 1920x1440 pixels, which still isn’t 100% correct. VEAI detects SAR of 1.07 and for the most part these clips are useable for additional post production. But it should be possible to change the aspect ratio manually to get it 100% right.

Hi,
Test with Dione Interlaced V2: SD to HD.
Like @robert.niessner, I did a test with a Full (0…255) clip (vs Legal 16…235) and the very low and high lights are washed out on the output.

Characteristics (MediaInfo), clip encoded by a MATROX MX02 year 2013

Général
Complete name                            : L:\vhsmpeg\K1\K1_001.avi
Format                                   : AVI
Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave
Format profile                           : OpenDML
File size                                : 5,62 Gio
Duration                                 : 29 min 50s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant
Overall bit rate                         : 27,0 Mb/s
Writing application                      : Matrox DSX AVI file . Format: 6. Build: 1.0.0.437  

Vidéo
ID                                       : 0
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 2
Format profile                           : 4:2:2@Main
Format settings                          : CustomMatrix
Format settings, BVOP                    : Non
Format settings, Matrix                  : Personnalisée
Format settings, GOP                     : N=1
Format settings, picture structure       : Frame
Codec ID                                 : MMES
Codec ID/Info                            : I-frame
Codec ID/Hint                            : Matrox
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 25,0 Mb/s
Width                                    : 720 pixels
Height                                   : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 4/3
Frame rate                               : 25,000 Im/s
Standard                                 : Component
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:2
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Entrelacé
Scan order                               : Ligne du haut d'abord
Compression mode                         : Avec perte
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 2.411
Stream size                              : 5,20 Gio (92%)
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings                          : Little / Signed
Codec ID                                 : 1
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 1 536 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 canaux
Sampling rate                            : 48,0 kHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Stream size                              : 328 Mio (6%)
Alignment                                : Alignée sur les interleaves
Interleave, duration                     : 40  ms (1,00 image vidéo)

Apart from that the result is “globally” correct, good except for the vertical lines when the movement is fast or a panning is fast (amateur camera), the vertical is chopped.

PS: this clip (year 1990) is not stabilized, it did not exist on amateur cameras. I have to do a test with the same stabilized clip.

Hope this help.

your storage situation sounds familiar to me, although we have backed up all files from the past 15 years on both BD-discs as well as harddrives with an additional backup outside of our office. So if the house burns down, we still have our archive available. Storage space got much more heavy during the past couple of years. Back in the old PAL-DV days we only had to deal with 25Mbit and now it’s up to 750Mbit for 4K.

Although we already shot in HD 1080i starting from 2005, there are tons of DV-PAL clips still to be upscaled for some custom updates we are doing. Also the anamorphic 1080i (SONY FX1) files can be upscaled to 4K quite good since the original Sony MPEG2 codec was terrible and VEAI does a good job removing most of the artefacts.

i noticed massive problems using Dione Interlaced v1 or v2 during horizontal pans as you also have shown in your 1st picture. Due to the interpolation from 50i to 25p the algorythm seems pretty bad, so i don’t use this method at all. Unfortunately Dione Interlaced TV v2 does create very blury and bad results at the moment, so i need to go back to VEAI v1.90.

Hi,
Thanks for confirming that I am not the only one experiencing this problem.
It’s a shame because apart from this problem the result is quite good.

Hi Robert, regarding your problems upscaling to certain resolutions at not getting good results something I learn via other users in this forum (in older versions threads) and it’s not told to you in the app (or at least not the last time I check, it’s that VEIA only does increases in resolution of x2 and x4, this is something other of their software like Gigapixel actually warns you, (in that case it goes up to x6) anything above that is made with traditional upscaling for what I was told it uses lanczos.

So if you want better results it’s usually better to do more than one pass with the program upscale to a higher resolution and from there downsample. At least that’s how it works better for me.

Another thing to mention that might not be a problem for everyone but certainly happened to me, was that VEIA can produce certain artifacts this in particular in my case happens when I tried to upscale already HD footage to 4k, for example 1920 to 4K, but it doesn’t seem to happen when upscaling low quality inputs like 480p etc. I mention this because I actually ran into that problem when doing multiple passes with VEIA, to get my desired resolution, I will start getting artifacts and glitches that weren’t/aren’t present if I do just a quick upscale of like x6 or x8 but those have less quality… :expressionless: Hopefully the developer Taylor that seems to be quite active in this thread can pass to someone that glitch information because the other solution proposed in the thread I linked about downclocking the GPU isn’t exactly great either.

I now made some test with the new version myself and my so far conclusion is:

Artemis got really good, now in terms of the old plastic look problem. The medium and low versions, I think have improved despite the blurriness. Although I would not call it blurry but more of haze, since it doesn’t distort details so much. Weirdly enough in some cases, when I tried it on an old movie scene it kinda looks natural and almost stylized.

Don’t know what to make of it, since some scene do suffer and other do gain by this effect. I will try again to layer the 2 results in premiere, maybe this can take away some haze and enhance the overall look. But I also warming up to the thought of using different models scene by scene and stitching them up as it fits.

Dione sadly has not improved in the same way. I can only agree with some of the previous posters, that the Interlacing edges are still there and it also seems some of the more lesser characteristics of Artemis are now introduced to Dione.

There seems to be more sharpness and Details but at the same time it looks more plastic like. Also what really stands out for me is the introduction of artifacts that where not present in the last version. In V1 I was pretty pleased on how it does handle vegetation better over all the other models. Now it produces pretty much the same artifacts that artemis had and sadly still has. Overall Dione in most cases looks like Artemis combine with an interlacing feature. Which brings me to the question, if Dione is actually a fork of one of the other models?

Have you tried out Gaia CG for low quality SD sources?

I did some comparisons here to demonstrate the broken DTV-2 preset. You can see, that DTV-1 is much better than DTV-2, which adds a haze like blur effect and does look really band. The other two are using a 50p pre-deinterlaced file and AHQ-11 as well as GHG-5. Here you can see that 50p-GHQ-5 is also better than 50p-AHQ-11.

i still cannot upload images, don’t know why. Can anyone help ?

I found that DTV-2 (and AMQ) only produces hazy results if the source footage got too much in-camera sharpening while upscaling to HD. It seems to try a dehalo of those coring lines around edges but sometimes fails to find the right size and then increases the radius too much. What I do is a first pass with DTV-2 at 100% size which almost always works as intended.
Then I use AMQ to upscale in a second pass which works very well then.

I kept all the templates from version 1.8.1 to version 2.

That way, I can test each model and see which one is best for which type of video.

2 Likes

Hi Bluewave, thanks for mentioning this. I’ve found that out myself when playing around with the settings in depth. When upscaling from SD to HD like 576 to 1080 in height it works as intended because this below 200%
When upscaling from 720 to 1920 it gets blurry because this is more than 200%
So thanks for confirming this.

1 Like

Thanks. Maybe I meant GaiaCG. I recall reading that it had been reduced/worsened even though the version number was the same. So, if it is the same in binary check it can’t be a different version?

you need to click on the image to get this visible.

http://www.bob-media.com/files/pix/veai/Married_With_Children_S04E04_1.88x_1920x1080_dtv-1.00_00_45_13.Standbild006.jpg

3 Likes

For upscaling DVD sources, I get the best result with Artemis LQ v8. Every version of Artemis after v8 just isn’t as good. It appears, that starting with Artemis v9 and above, Artemis LQ v8 was “moved” to Artemis HQ for v9, v10, and v11. But those results aren’t as good. Some very low quality sources are definitely better with Artemis LQ v10, or Artemis MQ v11 if it has oversharpening halos… Artemis LQ v11’s dehalo feature just makes the whole image too blurry/smokey/dreamy looking.

2 Likes

They’re models for different AI engines.

ml = Apple Core ML
ox = Open Neural Network Exchange (used for GPU upscaling)
ov = Intel OpenVINO (used for CPU upscaling)

Here is another example how terrible DTV-2 looks like:

http://www.bob-media.com/files/pix/veai/Married_With_Children_S04E04_1.88x_1920x1080_dtv-1.00_00_32_12.Standbild005.jpg

which files need to be copied from the previous versions to get these included ?

Uploaded 2 more files, Matters of Honor and Messages from Earth (extracted scenes using Avidemux). Dione Interlaced v1 and v2 (dtd-1 and dtd-2) produce the same issue during horizontal panning scenes. Some sections of the scene appear “delayed” during the pan producing some kind of smearing effect.

I had made a backup of my models before each update of the software because at each update, it removes the contents of the folder to place those of the new version.

Normally, they are placed in the folder “C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\Topaz Labs LLC\Video Enhance AI models”.

Me, I put them in “D:\Video Enhance AI models” (an external disk to save space on disk “C”).