Changes in Sharpen Value return to Default AutoPilot Value

Two issues really. First One is minor. Second One is major.

Issue 1 (minor):-
Even though the AutoPilot has been disabled in the Preferences, the program still goes through all the AutoPilot settings, but does not apply them to the image. This seems to be a waste of time.

Issue 2 (major):-
When adding a Sharpen filter, the Default AI model is chosen along with the Default Value for the filter and the image thumbnail shows the green dot of the AutoPilot. Here the default model is Standard and Default Values are 36/6.

The Values of the Standard Model were altered to 100/100. The Selection was set to ALL. This was done on purpose, so that the overall image was grossly oversharpened.

If you now select another image and then return to the first image, the Values are reverted to the Default of 36/6. This should not happen.
The screenshot below shows the second image selected. Note the values of the first image are still the altered values of 100/100.

The screenshot below shows the first image again selected. Note the altered values of 100/100 have reverted to the default values of 36/6.

Note, even if the first image is saved immediately after editing the values to 100/100, the saved image is not oversharpened, showing that the values revert to default just before the save.

Note, only the values revert, all other changes to the selection and/or the AI model are retained. For example if the AI model is changed to Strong with a default value of 10 and then the value is altered to 100, on selecting / saving the image, the value reverts to the default value of 10 but the AI model remains as Strong.

Log files below:

2024-03-03-07-19-29.tzlog (235.0 KB)
lastSessionFiles.txt (160 Bytes)

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Open Topaz PhotoAI. Go to Preferences and Disable AutoPilot and save the Preferences. Close Topaz PhotoAI. For all future instances the AutoPilot will be disabled.

2. Select at least two files in Lightroom. Right Click and select Edit in Topaz PhotoAI, and select Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments. Both Files will open in Topaz PhotoAI, with the first file selected. Even though the AutoPilot has been disabled in the Preferences, the program still goes through all the AutoPilot settings, but does not apply them to the image. This seems to be a waste of time.

3. Add Sharpen Filter to the first image. Here the AutoPilot chooses the Standard Model with values = 36/6

4. Alter the Filter so that the selection is set to ALL and the Standard Model values are set to 100/100.

5. Select the second image.

6. Select the first image again. The altered values are reverted to the defulat values of 36/6.

I HOPE A QUICK BUG FIX / WORKAROUND IS FOUND AS I HAVE MANY FILES WAITING TO BE PROCESSED.

CAN I REVERT TO MY PREVIOUS VERSION AS A WORK AROUND? IF YES, HOW DO I DO IT?

Thanks for your help.

Topaz Photo AI [v2.4.0] on [Windows]

2 Likes

Same here. I am using Photoshop 2022 with Tapaz plugin. Filters are reset to default values once I edit them, even though autopilot is disabled.

Thanks for all that valuable information.

Let’s try updating you to the most recent version release to see if this resolves the issue.

Please make sure you’ve also turned off any firewall, VPN, or proxy that may be on your computer. These are known to block the installation. Also, make sure there are no settings or configurations in your OS system that could interfere.

Try using the appropriate OS system link to update:

If you are still experiencing problems, please reach out to us at the following link:

Topaz Labs | Support Page

Hi John
Thanks for the update.
Working fine now - user changes to the sharpen module are respected.
Great work and thanks again.
Regards,
Rasheed