Black regions showing up over video

This may be a stability-related issue with GPUs so I’m hoping to gain some advice. About 50% of the time, a video that I am upscaling will be suddenly covered by a large black region. The size and location is random. Once it shows up, it persists for the rest of the upscaling process.

br

I can stop and restart the same video, and perhaps it’ll work next time, or perhaps not. Is there something I can do to improve stability? I’m using an RX 480 GPU, mostly with Artemis models. 1.9.0.

1 Like

Is it possible you have some kind of picture-in-picture enabled?

Something like that could be a glitch while using this program.

Weird issue, hope you figure it out.

I experience the same issue with the latest version. Also the black is not always half of the image, but it is always a totally black rectangle.

First off, have you opened a Ticket with Topaz yet?

When you pay for a subscription service it better work and if not they should either help you figure it out or refund your money.

Your card is not that old, but you didn’t list Operating System. Besides you might have corrupt software or a driver issue. AMD graphics cards have not been embraced by a lot of companies yet, so it could just be a compatibility issue. AMD graphic cards have to be program differently than NVIDIA or even Intel built into the CPU graphics.

Also, there is the fact this company doesn’t guarantee that their software will work well on a retail graphics card. They just say it should be doable.

I haven’t been able to figure out if a Maxwell graphic card is still supported with their software, but Pascal runs like a champ. If you’re not doing this professionally and got time to spare. Try getting your hands on an a refurbished small form factor business computer off eBay and slap an NVIDIA Quadro P2000 in it. As long as it has at least 16GBs of ram in dual channel and a couple of SSD drives in it. It should upscale 2 or 3 TV shows a day with no problems.

My dumb butt wanted it all in one machine and eventually figured out that an NVIDIA Quadro P4000 could do everything I could want for now without having to use any system memory. Got lucky and only spent $500 bucks on it and it was a spare card for some business too, so the packaging wasn’t even opened.

I’m a crazy man though, so I don’t recommend my route. Plus running two graphic cards that don’t act as one graphics card somehow, does get complicated. Like having to tell each program your using which card to use. Couldn’t even watch YouTube without doing that step.

Best of luck and remember to put in the solution into this threat if you figure it out.

It appears that this was related to the factory OC settings. My GPU is one of those OC edition cards, which is basically overclocked by a mild 10% or so. I had a previous issue with colorful artifact squares showing up in random places, and that was resolved by “underclocking” my factory OC card to just below what a normal RX 480 would operate at.

Well, somewhere along the way, either through a reboot or a driver update, my underclock settings got reverted back to factory specs. I dialed it back down, and now the blank area issue is resolved.

Moral of the story: VEAI must have some kind of parameter that is based on the GPU model’s standard clock. OC edition cards will cause what I expect is a race condition, which creates either artifacts or blank areas. Underclocking these OC edition cards solves the issue.

I will report this to the devs. I’m not sure how high of a priority this will be, but I feel there’s enough OC edition cards to justify it.

Also, I have a business machine with a Quadro T2000 and it performs quite nicely!

Running Windows 10 in 64 bit and an Nvidia RTX 2070 Super Gaming X here. Same issue appears now and then. All drivers are up to date.

1 Like

If you can post a link to the exact card you have, I can tell for certain if you have an OC edition card. From the “Gaming X” piece, I’m assuming you do, and if so, you need to underclock it down to OEM 2070 Super clock speeds (1605 MHz base). If that doesn’t work, then try 1410 MHz.

If 1410 MHz works, but 1605 MHz doesn’t, I’m willing to bet the software doesn’t recognize the 2070 Super as a unique card, separate from the 2070. It would be good to know either way.

Ok, for reasons I do not understand, that card only lists the Boost clock which is 30 MHz higher than the regular 2070 Super. So yes, it’s an OC edition card.

Download MSI Afterburner and set the clock to 1605 MHz. Let us know your results.

1 Like

First I tested with standard clock settings again and yes, even then it might happen. Next I might test with lowered gpu clock. Edit: Guess what: Now Windows ended up with a blue screen telling me something went wrong and it has to restart. After that I replaced the Nvidia gameready driver by the Nvidia studio driver…

I’m having this problem too in VEAI v2.6.2 (and v2.6.1) running on a 3070 Ti.

I’ve tried multiple things such as updating to the latest Nvidia drivers, under-clocking, over-clocking, closing various other programs, as well as turning off GPU accelerated scheduling in windows but I can’t get through the full 4 minutes of this clip I’m trying to process without encountering at least one black square that ruins it.

Has anyone else come across this and found any other possible workarounds?

I think I might have to cut my clip up with ffmpeg into shorter sections then stitch them together, but ideally I’d like to not have to do that.

This has never happened to me & i’ve ran countless movies & 10 seasons of Friends thru on artemis models with a factory oc’d RTX 2080 https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N2080TURBO-OC-8GC/sp#sp that i also punch up +100 core / +500 memory in afterburner.

Cpu is a Ryzen 7 2700 pinned at 4.1Mhz all core with RyzenMaster & 16gigs @3000 [16/18/18] working off a 1tb adata gen3 nvme and the most recent win11 dev build (22523)…all chipset, drivers…etc up to date including the latest studio driver [511.09] from 2today.

Working on Stargate episodes rn & so far so good, should note i use veai mainly for cleanup, so mostly 100% denoise/deblock runs but i’ve upscaled plenty of old Dr Who episodes as well and never had any of these black squares.

It happened to me I was getting random black squares appearing in a corner half way thru encoding.

I have a ryzen 9 5900x laptop and I realised I had both the internal Amd gpu and the nvidia ryzen 9 selected in the settings, once I only selected my nvidia gpu as the only encoder the black squares never appeared again.

Hope this helps.

@ alkusoittow: I experience this with many versions back then. This issue appeared with maybe version 2.0 (?) I can not remember exactly. In many earlier versions my PC ran VE AI for 20 hours non-stop with no issues. For couriosity in the older verisons of VE AI it ran without any issues even by further over clocking (+100 Mhz GPU). Now it produces black boxes after some hours even on standard settings…

Strange, looks like a corrupt tile.

This still appears to be an issue on 2.6.2 (tested the stable release as well as the latest beta). 3900x, 6900xt, 16gb ram, latest windows 10

I’m running into this issue too with a 3070. Installed studio drivers, underclocked both core and mem to -400.

This card runs fine in another system running Topaz, so I’m guessing its something else. Has anyone from Topaz Labs acknowledge this issue?

This has never happened to me either on my RTX 3080 Ti.

Really looks like a driver glitch. Overclocking? Video card that start artifacting when overclocked usually show long, drawn-out lines. Not saying a single quare is impossible, but never seen that with OC-ing.

Question is, of course, does square show up in output too?

Yup, thought it might be driver, which is why I dropped back to studio driver, with a driver clean in between.

Thought it might be OC’ing - dropped mem and core down 400mhz each.

Square does show up in output too.

It seems to not be GPU artifact, but could be the way VEAI chops up the video and processes it in chunks to avoid overfilling memory buffers (that is just a guess, IDK how VEAI works under the hood).

I tend to agree with you: if the black square is in the output too, then it almost certainly must be VEAI (which is to say, a driver glitch would just cause the black square to be inside the drawn window).

What filter were you using, btw? Does it only happen in Artemis? I generally use Proteus v2 (v3 has some weird black blotting issues, likely unrelated). But yeah, Proteus might be worth a try.