Black Bars on Sony A7 IV RAW DNG after Plugin Extras Processing

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Export a copy of a RAW file from a Sony A7 IV which was auto-converted to DNG using Adobe Lightroom using Plugin Extras → Process with Topaz AI
  2. Topaz Photo AI opens and the preview already has the black bars in the image.

This doesn’t happen if I use the “old” workflow exporting the image via Edit-In Topaz Photo AI.
The logfile is attached, as well as a screenshot of the top of the picture. The black bar on top of the picture should actually not be there.

2023-04-10-00-01-10.tzlog (86.9 KB)

Topaz Photo AI [v1.2.10] on [macOS Ventura 13.3.1 / MacBook Pro M1 Max / 64GB RAM]

@mfgAkilae

I downloaded a Sony A7 IV, converted to DNG, and tested in the v1.3.0 version. I did not get the black bar.

Could you try with the latest version and let me know if that’s working for you? If it still happens, please send me the file it’s happening with.

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below. Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.
Dropbox File Request

Hello Lingyu,

I’ve just found out after retesting it, that the black bar only appears on vertical pictures on the top of the frame. Using a landscape picture everything ist fine. As version 1.3.0 isn’t out yet for me I will retest then.

@mfgAkilae did you get the chance to try it in the latest version?

If you have a file with this issue please upload it to my dropbox so I can reproduce the issue and share with my team.

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below. Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.
Dropbox File Request

It’s interesting, the bug only happens for me on pictures in portrait mode not in landscape and is still happening in version 1.3.0. I wasn’t able to verify the behaviour taking a picture of a wall, or my room. But it very often happens on pictures with my daughter in it. I’ll upload a picture which is reliably not working for me to your dropbox.

Just a little bit more background information:
My RAW DNGs reside on a unraid NAS while the lightroom catalog is local. The file itself is shot in RAW lossless compression + HEIF. If I copy the file from the NAS to local NVMe SSD storage the black bar on top is still present.

Best regards,

Thanks @mfgAkilae, once you upload a picture to the dropbox link please just let us know in a new comment here!

Hey, sorry I wasn’t clear enough on that. It’s already uploaded.

Thanks for uploading the file. I reproduced the black bar as well. I also noticed a color shift on the output image. I documented both these issues for my team to take a look at.

For now, to avoid this issue I would recommend using the Photo > Edit in > Topaz Photo AI workflow on images that this happens to as we work on a solution.