Batch Processing of Topaz Photo AI

I typically batch process of 1000 images at a time. Photo AI crashes after a couple hundred. I have resubmit the images … Kinda of a pain.

My batch of 200 photos even crashed after 75 photos!!!

I’d like to get some more information to help troubleshoot the problem you are having.

Could you send us your computer’s full system profile?

Also if you can, open Topaz Photo AI, then go to Help > Open Log Folder, please send me all of the files within that folder. You should be able to attach them directly as a response to this email.

You can securely submit your files(s) to my Dropbox using the link below. Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.

Dropbox File Request

The following are snippets out of eMails I received from Topaz Labs Support to my report of a “Apparent memory leak in Photo AI”, which was submitted on March 12th, 2024:

Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2024 11:21 AM
Thanks for sending that info. My team believes they’ve found the cause of the memory leak and our Head of AI is creating a potential fix for this. We appreciate your patience and understanding while we get this sorted for you.

Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2024 2:13 PM
We’ll keep working on that! If we have test builds, we can also send them to you to try out.

Sent: Friday, March 15, 2024 1:13 PM
The Upscale enhancement is particularly resource-intensive so if you’re running that on hundreds of images, let alone the memory leak, it could cause the computer to freeze up. We’re still investigating the memory leak on our side. If you could, try processing smaller batches (~100 images) and see if that works better.

Sent: Monday, March 18, 2024 12:45 PM
Thanks again for the testing. Our AI engine team is looking into this as a top priority.

Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2024 11:11 AM
We’re still working on it! I don’t have a solution for you just yet. Thanks for understanding!

Sent: Friday, March 29, 2024 10:58 AM
Our development team is running some tests for the memory leak now so it wasn’t included in yesterday’s release but it’ll come to a future update soon.

Sent: Thursday, April 4, 2024 11:37 AM
We are still working on it. The backend team has a lot on their plate and has not gotten around to fixing it yet.

At this point, I stopped sending Support eMails as it seems, now five weeks in, that this issue will be fixed when it gets fixed. Until that happens, my only option, if I want to run large batches is to go back to a version which does not have the memory leak.

As far as testing goes and I have done a lot and sent my test plan & results to support. The memory leak appears to be linear and maybe impart caused by a recursive function being called when doing batch processing.

I have not monitored memory usage for the application while processing single very different images over time. Which is to say keeping Photo AI open for an extended period while working on individual photos. This could indicate the leak is not just related to batch processing. Generally, that is not my workflow.

My Windows 11 system has 256GB of RAM (it can take up to 2TB, not that I could afford that!), and so I can process well over 100 images in batch before I need to restart Photo AI.

As others have reported, the issue is not related to operating system memory management, either in MacOS or Windows.

If one’s computer has 32GB of RAM, then if Photo AI is consuming 20GB of RAM, as it did in my last batch run of 100 images, the operating system’s memory management will start thrashing virtual memory pages to disk, slowing down everything, potentially crashing the application and possible the operating system as well.

At the beginning of this thread, it was stated by Dakota Wixom concerning Presets, “This will speed up the process of editing large batches of hundreds or thousands of photos at a time”, for me this would be great as I process tens of thousands of video frames… that is if it worked.

The product description, see Topaz Photo AI - Maximize Image Quality with AI, in the Easy workflow section states, “Use the standalone to batch process thousands of images in sequence…”, at the present time this is not possible.

As I have been a programmer since the early 1980’s, a systems administrator and network engineer for decades now, I do have sympathy for those in product development.

This said, the other day I started a 30 day evaluation of a network/systems heath tool called EventSentry by NETIKUS (https://www.eventsentry.com). I was having difficultly with collecting the data I wanted and producing a report at the detail I wished. When I contacted technical support, I was blown away at the degree of information which was sent back to me (i.e. screen shots, written instructions, etc.) which addressed my very specific question. In my opinion this is how a software company should respond.

See my post in this thread.