Bars and Squiggle in the Grass

Hi.

Just plunging into Topaz. My first task was converting a 24 minute SD interlaced project into 4K progressive. There is only one set of settings in Topaz for this (Interlaced, Dione DV, etc.), so I ran the project through these settings. In many places, like faces, the result is impressive. One problem though is grass and leaves. These become muddy and are often full of bars and squiggles. I suspect I can tackle this problem on a second run with this now progressive project using Proteus. I was hoping someone could tell me what filters within Proteus can best tackle my problem. I’ve been experimenting with adjustments to detail, sharpen and compression. I was going to run the project through one set of these changes but was told processing would take three days. Even short previews trying different settings ia a very slow process. I’m willing to do that three day conversion if I have to but if I do I’d really like to make sure I’d made the best settings selections in Proteus.

Thanks
John

Hi John

To experiment with Proteus, you could try a few seconds preview using the Dione deinterlacing then show that output file in Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac). You can then use that file as an input for Proteus.

Instead of using Preview, you could create a slightly longer clip (e.g. 1 minute) using the Trim facility, then export and use that as the input for Proteus.

Given the limitations of the deinterlacing within TVAI, I never use it. I always deinterlace first using a different app (e.g. HandBrake or even ffmpeg directly via the command line).

Thanks.

Andy

In order to try the proteus you will need to deinterlace your Video 1st.
you can either do it via TVAI by keeping the original resolution (no upscale) using the Dione DV/TV.
or you can use a 3rd party tool that does a good job of deinterlacing using one of the praised QTGMC filter. in order to do this, I advise you using the “Hybrid” Free tool.
follow those steps.

Once you completed de-interlacing your video(s), try upscaling using Proteus “Auto” 1st (Auto does a good job lately). then maybe you want to give @TomaszW presets a try , those might work well for you.

Of course do preview size export of few seconds, not to waste 3 days on each attempt.
I advise you to use the Video Compare tool to view your results to see which one works best for you.

Video compare tool
how to use preview mode

Good Luck… Let us know how it went…

Thanks for the replies.

Andy, I exported then re-imported the de-interlaced-Dione 4K version and when in Proteus did a one second preview of a section where leaves on the ground are full of artifacts, adjusting each of the parameters in Proteus in turn – detail, sharpness, etc. None had any effect on the problem.

I also did as you suggest Akila. I de-interlaced in Topaz keeping the resolution SD then re-imported this version into Proteus up-ressing to 4K with the same results.

I thought that perhaps the problem was up-ressing the SD project to 4K, so I went through the de-interlacing process again, this time up-ressing to HD in Dione. That has produced much better results. No evidence anymore of these bar and squiggle artifacts in grass and leaves. (When I finished I bounced the project back to Resolve and added a little sharpening there. A much faster process in Resolve.)

As you both suggest I do, I will find a way to de-interlace the project first and take it directly into Proteus to see the results of up-ressing to 4K. As for de-interlacing, one of the reasons I chose Topaz over Resolve was info I’d read on line that said Topaz did a better job of de-interlacing. Too bad one can’t de-interlace separately in Topaz but must tie that into application of the Dione filter.

So far I guess I’ve learned that SD does not up-res well to 4K when done directly in Topaz via Dione. For more defined subjects, like faces or buildings, the result is great, but for things like foliage the result, at least in my case, has been awful.

John

just a Side note, Topaz doesn’t actually do any de-interlace, it just calls ffmpeg command to do the deinterlacing for it using ffmpeg Bwdif. after ffmpeg completed the deinterlacing, it applies the Dione enhancement. after reading your last response I don’t think deinterlacing externally would change anything. for me it seems it’s the Proteus filter with your upscaling is not so friendly with your scenery.

1. If you Dione DV for x2 upscale, does it look good?
  2. if so, how about you do an x2 upscale using Dione DV, when completed, just Dione DV it again for additional x2 upscale (two stage x4 upscale)? just force FPS back to 50 (not to get 100 FPS).

you can follow this to see how (somewhere in the middle of the post)…

Hi. Just noticed your reply today.

I did use Dione DV x2 on the footage, that is upscale it only to HD and the result was good enough for my purposes. The idea of doing this twice to further upscale in intriguing, and I will try that when I have to produce something closer to 4K.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

John