Working with (std def) video in TVAI

I want to draw on the experience of you folks on my journey to figuring out the software so I can get on with a huge project to archive VHS, SVHS, 8mm, HI8 and DV video.

The software documentation does a good job of minimally describing what a settings is, but there is nothing that helps in figuring out a workflow that is best for various instances. It also doesn’t detail best practice for comparing samples of different settings. Example…if I take my original and have selected interlace, bottom field, Dione TV (because those are the best looking for my current project) then add a second parameter and add using the De-noise function (Nyx) with parameters “relative to auto” (so I can try sampling it at various levels to see what’s working and do comparisons’. Do I need to select original each time then set my settings, select original and select different settings and preview or can I simply start with original then do my settings and preview, change settings and preview etc? I’ve figured out on my own some ways to do this and figure out the compare process which isn’t documented and would be good for new users to know best practice.

Ok down to my project info needs…

1. What is the best method to digitize analog video with quality in mind that (best software/hardware) that doesn’t break the bank?
  2. Once you have digitized video, I’ve read that TVAI functions are best done by limiting the selection, exporting and then doing a second pass using different features…IE, deinterlace first, the denoise and sharpen and then upscale. I’ve played with the software and found the Dione TV works pretty good…ehats the deal with frame interpolation getting enabled each time I simply want to deinterlace is there something I’m missing here? I have no need to do slow motion but does frame interpolation assist in ways related to deinterlacing rather than simply slow motion?
  3. It it better to deinterlace using different software and then use TVAI for upscaling?
  4. If I need to crop the video (ie to cut out static I see at the very bottom of the image when should I do this in the workflow? Or is it better to do that later (or prior) in another software ie FCPX?
  5. With Denise/sharpening should I be doing that within TVAI or am I better off doing that with neat video within FCP either before or after deinterlacing.
  6. Is it best to deinterlace and use second enhancement (Advanced settings) to do denoise, sharpen etc or is it best to do 2 separate passes (is this possible?) or does adding second enhancement act the same way, doing one followed by the other (as if it were a batch job)?
  7. It doesn’t seem possible to do two passes without having to select video type again…maybe this is a stupid question but once deinterlace is it now “progressive”? Does it make sense to deinterlace in 1 step (Dione tv) and then export and do a second pass selecting progressive as the enhancement and then my desired enhancement (ie denoise)
    These are the beginning of my questions I’ll wait to see what answers you all have before I ask more.

Thanks,

Phil