What would be the result if I apply ALQ v.12 on original 480i video

Hi, I just want to upscale a low resolution video (original seems to be 480i) to 1080P. Compare different model and I think ALQ v.12 give the best result. My question is if I apply ALQ to an interlaced video. The output will be 1080i or 1080p? How to check if it is 480i or 480p, sorry for my limited knowledge about this.

I’m new to VEAI so appreciate all your advise.

It will be 1080p with some frames having scan lines in them.

Thanks a lot for your advise, should I 100% deinterlaced first, then ALQ or can I deinterlaced after I got 1080P output? Just for the best result, if multi pass is needed then I will try.

I did try 100% deinterlaced 1 pass, scan lines were gone but all other details like hair, faces quality worse than original. Please help.

Hallo,

wenn du von 480p auf 1080p upscalen willst müssen die Frames erstmal bereinigt werden. Also erst die 480p Frames deblocken / denoisen / deinterlacen, dabei die Auflösung beibehalten. Erst jetzt die neue Zieldatei auf 1080p upscalen mit einen AI Modell deiner Wahl.

Gruß Ronny

Vielen Dank Ronny, werde es nach deinem Kommentar versuchen

Prost

I’ve been using ffmpeg to deinterlace. It’s not the easiest to learn how to use, but it’s free.
Lately my work flow has been a little extreme: ffmpeg pass to change frame rate and or deinterlace and or split up.
VEAI pass of Artemis Medium Quality at 100% to clean the video.
VEAI pass to upscale. Gaia and Proteus models work much better on clean sources.
ffmpeg pass to put in H.265 for reasonable file size.
mkvtoolnix pass to join audio back in and merge split videos back together.

Just checked on ffmpeg site and that’s quite hard to understand for me but will try anyway. Your work flow is really extreme! and take truly long time to get the best result. I’m planning to upgrade my machine so could you please share your machine spec. I’ve still doubt which OS between windows and mac work best with VEAI.

I can share some example commands for ffmpeg, if you like.
There’s a chart someone put together here.
It looks like the M1 Mac does really good, but then it also looks like an RTX 3070ti does better than an RTX 3090 in some of the results.
Personally, I think a Mac would be a solid choice, but not as fast as a more custom machine. For the price to preference the Mac might win by a lot.
My computer has a Ryzen R9 5900X CPU, RTX 3080ti GPU, 32GB 3200Mhz RAM and a random assortment of storage. I like to output to image files, so the main storage drive I use for that is a WD Black 8TB drive. This computer was built to handle games and heavy music processing. I just started using VEAI a few months ago.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for sharing, I wish I could recover my best time video with your guidance.

I’d suggest using Hybrid to deinterlace. I find it produces better deinterlaced frames, a much cleaner output.

1 Like

You’ve got me converted. Here’s an example of someone’s sleeve.
Left is QTGMC and right is yadif in ffmpeg.

I was not impressed at how hard it was to figure out how to get the aspect ratio correct, but that’s only because I was using png output.

2 Likes

Hello ForSerious, I tried ffmpeg for a couple days but still confuse. Could you please share command for converting h.264 to 265?

Sure thing.

"path to ffmpeg.exe" -y -i "path to input file" -map 0:v -map 0:a? -map 0:s? -map 0:d? -map 0:t? -c:v libx265 -crf 22 -pix_fmt yuv420p -preset slow -c:a copy -c:s copy "output.mkv"

-y just means it will replace any existing file without confirmation.
-map is supposed to keep audio subtitles and covers images, but it might just be keeping the first one of each.
-crf is the quality with lower being more. I don’t notice any differences from the source at 24, but 25 I start to.
-pix_fmt is set so the output will have the same color space as the input DVD. If you get into doing HDR you’ll want to remove this so that it automatically sets it to HDR.

Many thanks for the guideline, I will try now. :blush:

I totally left out the deinterlacing part. Right before -c:v put -vf yadif=1.
yadif=1 doubles the frame rate
yadif keeps the frame rate the same.

I kind of left it out because of how well that Hybrid program works.