What was this?

And now for something completely different…

I doubt that anyone will be able to guess what this originally was, but what do you think that it is (or looks like?)

I used three different Topaz Studio Presets to achieve this, with some, different, blending methods…

Original (see below)

4 Likes

Looks like cowhide to me.

is it the top of a lemur’s head?

An animal’s ear…?

It looks vaguely like a landscape to me - very challenging image Ken.

Thank you very much for taking the time to think about the image, @ellemat2, @ShazzyCo, @Mond, and @AngieD!

I have posted the original photo - it was an out of focus photo of the inside of our car, taken by accident, so I wanted to see what I could do with the image.

When I was working on the image, one of the things I thought it was looking like was both flowers and a cow that Georgia O’Keeffe might have drawn - and since the car seats were leather, I have to say that I am particularly impressed with @ellemat2’s guess! I can see what everyone else guessed too :smile:

2 Likes

That was a surprise! Great work Ken - more like that and I think you could create a niche market and sell for 1,000s!

I must confess that the reason I guessed it was cowhide was due to the dark and white coloration and the suggestion of hair. I have a cowhide rug that looks similar. The original bears no resemblance but it begs the question…did you add the darker coloration or did it come up with the pp process? Taking it a step further, if it came up on its own, could the process bring up something that our eyes do not normally see? I’m thinking some sort of melanin type remains on the tanned leather…

1 Like

I think the single, salubrious and salutary lesson from this post is ---- never dismiss any image

Thank you very much, @AngieD, I enjoy doing this sort of thing :smile:

I am interested in those questions, too, @ellemat2. I did not add any of the coloring, soit was all the processing. In this case, I think the processing really acentuated the lighting and folds of the seats, but not as much any hidden colors or patterns in the leather itself. However, I really enjoy finding processing that does reveal things that were naturally present, but just hidden to the eye…

Thank you very much for the very nice comments, @el48tel - I never throw away any photos, especially with storage being so inexpensive. :smile:

1 Like

A bit late on reading this post but when I first saw the original image my guess was going to be a pillow or leather chair? [quote=“KenKv, post:10, topic:833”]
I am interested in those questions, too, @ellemat2. I did not add any of the coloring, soit was all the processing. In this case, I think the processing really acentuated the lighting and folds of the seats, but not as much any hidden colors or patterns in the leather itself. However, I really enjoy finding processing that does reveal things that were naturally present, but just hidden to the eye…
[/quote]

Very interesting discussion and discovery on how processing can have different effects on images. In this case taking a leather goods and reproducing it back to it’s natural origin.

ya $1000’s let me know how it goes so I can learn from you how

I appreciate @AngieD’s optimism, but I have never sold any artwork, so I am not the one to learn from :wink:

Thank you very much, @cre8art, I am glad you enjoyed that! For my next trick maybe I should make an egg from a chicken - or is it the other way around? :smile:

Very funny… go for it? :hatching_chick:

today’s reject; tomorrow’s texture/backdrop/infill?

1 Like

Having watched the beginning of a programme on BBC concerning a guy who steals photos from Instagram and makes collages from them which then sell for 1,000s i think it is impossible to tell what folk will buy. To look at some of the stuff that folk do pay ‘loadsamoney’ for I think there are quite a lot of the rich who do not follow guidelines on ‘what is good’ but buy ‘what is fashionable’ 0r just what they think is fashionable. So you can never tell!!

It’s called “fashion”

So create a new ‘fashion’! Then you too can make 1.000s!

multi chuckle! My builder though used to say with the luck I experience he would never stand next to me in a thunderstorm

1 Like

Wasnt there some guy who made art out of car crashes?