What is the normal timeframe to upscale 480 to 1080. Am I doing something wrong?

Please don’t flame me, I know this question has had to have been asked and answered before.
Only thing I can find is a comment about v2.6.4 potentially being faster, and other comments about 8 to 10 hours.

I am upscaling older DVDs in my collection that are 480i.

This took 1 day 11 Hours 33 Minutes and 8 Seconds.
Is this normal performance, legitimate question as I have zero experience with video processing. Just starting out.
Why so long and is there anything I can do to help this run faster? Different settings or something?

Topaz Video AI v3.0.2

System:
amd Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor: 4.20GHz
Ram: 32GB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080Ti: 12GB Memory driver version: 31.0.15.2647 (Game Ready Driver: 526.47)

converting
720x576(1.42:1 SAR)@25 FPS
TO:
1920x1080 (FHD)
Original Pixel Type
Letterbox/Pillarbox
50 FPS (2x Deinterlaced) - using Original setting.

Enhancement AI
Interlaced
Auto-Detect
Dione: DV 2x FPS

output:
Encoder: H265 Main (NVIDIA)
Container: MKV
BitRate: Auto
Audio Settings: Copy

video length: 1 hr 53 min

My gpu runs at about 30% using almost no memory.

==============NVSMI LOG==============

Timestamp : Sat Nov 5 10:12:07 2022
Driver Version : 526.47
CUDA Version : 12.0

Attached GPUs : 1
GPU 00000000:09:00.0
GPU Utilization Samples
Duration : 14.00 sec
Number of Samples : 71
Max : 44 %
Min : 15 %
Avg : 29 %
Memory Utilization Samples
Duration : 14.00 sec
Number of Samples : 71
Max : 13 %
Min : 4 %
Avg : 8 %

My cpu runs at 60% and about 50% memory (most of the memory usage is not related to this process)

I have never used that model, but it does seem to be slow for what you have running it. I haven’t been doing any interlaced sources, but I usually do the same resolutions you’re doing and have a similar system. (Just with a Ryzen 9 5900X instead) I haven’t done one in awhile, but full length movies were usually taking 7 to 8 hours. Deinterlacing could potentially double that, but that’s still much less time than you are seeing.

I have planed to run some interlaced family videos that are two hours each. I could let you know if I see similar slow speeds.

thanks!
what model have you been using? maybe that is it. or like you said interlaced video could be it as well.

That’s the catch: I had been using ffmpeg before I even knew about VEAI, and had been using it to convert movies for my home Plex server. Even it’s most basic yadif (Yet another de-interlacing filter) does a better job then all of the models made for it in VEAI.
Since then, someone convinced me to try out a compilation program called Hybrid that can run the QTGMC method from Vapoursynth for de-interlacing. It’s even better than yadif.
Are either of those as easy to use as TV/VEAI? No. No they are not.

hmmm, ok so the learning curve here is parabolic. so what i am getting from this response is that i need to de-interlace the video separately, then upscale it. sound about right?

For best results. Yes.

To be honest, since I got VEAI half a year ago, I think I’ve re-done the main movies I bought it for, like 6 times. All because I keep learning new things I was doing wrong or could have done better.
Digital movies, their formats and containers, are the worst. There is no end to their complexity nor their ability to do the same thing, but with different names or parameters not compatible with the rest. (In audio, it’s pretty well agreed that flac is the way to go. There is no flac for videos.)