What does DeNoise AI "Low Light" do?

I have never used DeNoise AI, low-light, ever, even on my photos taken in low light.

I tried to find a help file or some explanation on the Topaz website of what, exactly “Low-Light” is supposed to do, and it isn’t mentioned ANYWHERE. And I noticed that there is NO help file, at all for Denoise AI.

I tried it on some old, digitized film photos (due to complaints on DPR), and with low light ORFs and some old Canon 4mp jpgs.

I have to agree with the complainers on DPR, it doesn’t do much with any of those sorts of photos, and certainly it is NOT as good as the regular DeNoise and AIClear options. Some guidance on what it is SUPPOSED to do would be helpful in allowing us to judge its effectiveness.

2 Likes

Using Low Light is far superior on very noisy images. You can also select “0” for Sharpening which will improve the application of noise reduction.

It applies to extremely noisy or very high ISO images, and is especially helpful for High ISO images shot in low light situations.

My idea, from IME and AiDon’s help, is that the results are different for every shot. The difference for me is that I do not have to fiddle with every knob and dial, but let Ai do that.

Sometimes I am unhappy and have to do some picking, but mostly if I choose one of the stock option I get the most bang for the single choice.

So if a setting does not work for you in a difficult, try another. I have rarely felt failed and even more rarely felt that older fixers have exceeded these, and for less work.

You need to find what suits you. I have found Low Light mode to be pretty useful. AI Clear can do a decent job too, but it’s often too soft. Here’s an example of Denoise AI on the left and Low Noise on the right, both in Auto mode. If I were serious about the shot, I’d probably do some fine tuning. ISO was 12800!