Video Roadmap Update (March 2023)

Depending on the implementation, the difficulty will also be different. If you just average the difference in the color values ​​of two frames, it is indeed very simple, but the corresponding effect is also very shallow. The ideal implementation should also rely on a small model or directly embed it into the frame interpolation model. When it is “realized that the frame interpolation effect is considered unsatisfactory”, the result is discarded and the original frame is retained, so as to fully express the advantages of the model.

For those who want to add scene detection, you can vote here.
Chronos - Scene change detection - Topaz Video AI / Ideas - Topaz Community (topazlabs.com)

2 Likes

As much as I hate adobe premiere having this plugin would be awesome. I’m a sucker for puncishment. I hope adobe gets good one of these days.

1 Like

Don’t be a hater, PP is not trash, I have been using it for over 20 years, yes, it’s not perfect but it’s great. I also waiting for the Premiere Plugin. But also it could be the Davinci Resolve plugin.

1 Like

I’m not sure if this new Apollo model is Channel Attention but it looks like a real one! Leaving behind Optical Flow for video interpolation is the best choice for Topaz Video AI. Good work. :wink:

You guys have made a lot of impressive progress with the models, but I’d like to suggest that maybe the fundamentals need some attention now. By fundamentals, I mean things like stability and source inputs. I’m still experiencing weird hangs and crashes with the 3.x series that haven’t been addressed yet, and the lack of frame server input is an absolute killer for me. I’m aware of the licensing issues with ffmpeg, but there are other ways to feed an avs script to ffmpeg. I know it can be piped in with avs2yuv because I do it on my Linux boxes with an ffmpeg that isn’t compiled with avs support. As I said, the model work is great, but it feels like you’re putting the icing on the cake before it’s fully baked.

Please add the ability to import avisynth (.AVS) files
Thanks

Any chance we can put a goal on the roadmap to include the ability to run all the functions on a video with an alpha channel and get a final result that maintains that alpha channel?

1 Like

@eric Eric the GUI for JPEG TIFF PNG The smallest number of files you can get is 360 this makes a large load for using in the Topaz Photo products.Trim needs to adjusted so can handle 10 frames or less with in the video.

+1 for the pause/resume please. quality improvement and bug fixes are great, but not being able to play a video game for 2 days while Topaz is working is not ideal. Thanks.

3 Likes

Depending on your hardware, you may be able to pause TVAI, play a game, then un-pause it.

On Windows, this can be done by:

1. Opening Resource Monitor.
  2. Scrolling down until you find ffmpeg.exe (TVAI uses FFmpeg for it’s processing, hence why it’s named that).
  3. Right click on ffmpeg.exe and select Suspend Process. Now the processing will be paused.
  4. If you want to start processing again (E.G. You’ve stopped playing a game), you can right click on ffmpeg.exe in Resource Monitor and select Resume Process.

macOS probably has similar functionaliy.

Now, I note that it kind of depends on your hardware. What this does is it pauses TVAI/ffmpeg processing, allowing your CPU and GPU to be used for other things like gaming. But it does keep a bunch of information around in RAM and VRAM, which could lead to performance issues in other applications if you don’t have enough RAM or VRAM and the operating system doesn’t handle memory management in this specific case in a graceful way.

Thank you Alaska, I’ll give it a try.

@eric

Why the April 2023 roadmap update is still missing?
Thanks

5 Likes

It’s up now: Video Roadmap Update (April 2023)

We aim to update the Photo AI Roadmap after the first Thursday release of the month, and then the Video AI roadmap update two Tuesdays later.

2 Likes