Video Enhance v2.6.4

chronos fast is for very very fast scenes and slow for the rest

1 Like

Chronos Slomo is more suited when you want to add a slow motion effect on a video and Chronos fast if you want to simply increase the framerate of a video.

Iā€™m pretty sure the ā€œfastā€ in Chronos Fast refers to the processing speed, not the type of framerate conversion. It just trades off quality for speed.

Hi,
I have a question. How does Proteus models treat all clips if I set parameters for first clip ? Suppose I have uploaded 4 clips in total, thus what about parameters for other 3 ones? Do they have the same parameters like the first one or the parameters are chooses automatically based on VEAI analysis of each clip separately? I ask since I would like to use the same parameters for all uploaded clips and be sure that my settings are kept for all clips.

can i use film grain or something else to counter or solve the side effects of using too much of the proteus noise reduction and if i do use film grain what amount and size should i use

I always have to use a third-party denoiser to remove the artefact pattern that Proteus creates. If you can afford it, Neat Video or the Filmworkz DVO Clarity are fantastic options. Otherwise, you can use Virtualdub with something like the MSU Denoising filter (which is free).

If youā€™re going to go with the grain option, Iā€™d recommend using DaVinci Resolve (also free) where you can preview the effectiveness of your grain in real time and adjust it to the optimum settings. Resolve has itā€™s own denoiser, too - I havenā€™t tried it but I imagine itā€™s pretty effective.

Iā€™ve posted this question here multiple times already, but I canā€™t get help! Hereā€™s my problem, when I use Proteus v2 or v3, it creates some kind of ā€œstatic noiseā€ in the video. I first denoised my footage using Neat Video, so naturally I would leave the Reduce Noise setting off in Proteus. But when I do this, I get that static noise! Increasing the Reduce Noise setting fixes, but it removes details. Does anybody know why this is? Can I get help from a developer?

Does the static noise appear even if you turn all sliders off? If not, try one slider at a time to see which one is causing it.

1 Like

Itā€™s caused by the Revert Compression algorithm, I think (I seem to recall doing a slider-by-slider test a while back to identify the culprit). Neat Video does a good job of removing it, so it may be worth doing a second pass with that once Proteus has done its thing.

1 Like

I find that if you go beyond 50% on any slider, it can cause problems. I try to keep ā€˜revert compressionā€™ at maximum 25% for live video, or it starts looking like cheap CGI.

I saw in the 2.6.3 release note that the problem of duplicate installers from previous updates in the ā€œControl Panel/Programs/Programs and Featuresā€ was finally fixed. I say to you that not. I did the 2.6.3 update. And I see in ā€œControl Panel/Programs/Programs and Featuresā€ the previous version of video enhance 2.6.2 next to 2.6.3.

After doing a test, the static noise appears by itself. It seems that itā€™s caused simply by upscaling to 4K. It has to be a serious bug.

I think Revert Compression does increase the problem, but I think it also happens if you leave it off, if you zoom in enough you can see it. The second pass with Neat Video sounds like a good idea, but technically speaking, you shouldnā€™t have to do that. Iā€™m guessing the static noise is simply caused (and made worse by Revert Compression) by upscaling to 4K. Is there a way we can report this to a developer?

Not necessarily. I once had static noise while enhancing the sharpness of a video. 1920x1080 to 1920x1080. This noise appeared when moving the noise reduction slider. As soon as I set it to 0, the static noise disappeared.

1 Like

Interesting, because I set everything to 0 and I still got static noise. Maybe it works that way with 1920x1080 to 1920x1080 but not with 1920x1080 to 3840x2160. This is just my experience.

Yeah maybe it depends. Now, it is true that from 1280x720 to 1920x1080, the problem did not seem to arise anyway.
Well I tested on a small piece of the video. I did not test on a whole sequence

Yeah, the variables are confusing. How can we contact a developer about this? Because as far as Iā€™m concerned, this is a bug.

I donā€™t know. Maybe ping one of the devs who answers from time to time on the forum.

1 Like

Thanks, Iā€™ll do that!

I just encountered this yesterday, and it happens with v1, v2 and v3. Thereā€™s a cycling/pumping noise pattern that appears around edges. Iā€™ve had it happen before (like, months ago), and have seen it fixed a couple of days later. It seems to come and go with the online model updates from the server. Makes me want to download the version of the model that doesnā€™t have this problem for offline use. The last time I encountered it it was related to the anti-alias/deblur slider, this time it seems related to the denoise slider.

It doesnā€™t help that Topaz seem unwilling to acknowledge/mention model problems/fixes with the online models at all anywhere or in version changelogs. Just like with the Dione ghosting bug that affects some versions of VEAI but not others, but thereā€™s no mention of it anywhere officially outside of beta testersā€™ reports here on the forum.