Video Enhance v2.6.4

I haven’t been doing much video work lately, but tried one with 2.6.1 today, and found that it was impossible to do offline. I went in and got the entire model download for the models I wanted, and set it to never download optimized models. Took the machine offline and started VEAI. Attempted to process and got an error that it was unable to load the selected model. Furthermore, putting it online did not fix this, it had to be restarted.

I am frequently working without an internet connection, so at those times the program will be unusable for me. Is this intentional?

4 Likes

Saw it that too despite having downloaded all the models. It’s very problematic when you have not a reliable internet provider. I often have internet shutdowns that can last hours and sometimes even days. 2 years ago in 2019 I stayed something like 1 month without Internet.
Even Adobe doesn’t proceed like that, all you have is to be online at least one time every month to check the license, Don’t know if it’s even the case for annual subscriptions.
If it’s intentional it’s very bad. As far as I know 100% of the job is done by our computer so I don’t know why it has now this need to be online for the software being able to process.

the Dev already told it was not intentional and will be fixed soon, certainly one of the bug from the long list to fix ! that’s why there are 3 options in the model manager, no download / download partially and download fully (at once, but the at once doesn’t work for me and for some other people, and i already reported it in the Beta forum several time, they are aware of it). each models is 3 to 6Gb big, the whole download is close to 60 / 100 Gb. they already told they had to make this working better. go check the beta forum, the message of the dev is written somewhere about it or write to topaz support for confirmation.

if it was intentional (something i’m sure it’s not), you’ll not have the 3 download option in the model manager, and 2 models, i succeded to download them (Chronos Fast and Slomotion fast) for a total of 7 Gb of models.

I just tried on my computer and had no issue working off line. I made sure I had the working model for the video I wanted to process. I closed VEAI, rebooted the computer without a network connection, ethernet disconnected, opened VEAI. Once VEAI opened it warned me that I had no internet connection, I clicked OK and went forward. I loaded the video and with the same model started processing the video.

Just tried this on a second computer without rebooting and just disabling the ethernet port. When I opened VEAI, clicked ok at the no internet warning I than loaded the video. I could not run the process until I deselected and than reselected the video. At that point it worked.

One last note, the behavior of the program if a video is loaded that you do not have the right model when offline is horrible. It just loops trying to connect and giving you a warning that you cannot get out of without exiting the program.

Well then it seems even random because no matter what I try to do or set preferences to never download or do your select/deselect trick it still doesn’t work offline.
And by the way I think there is a bug in 2.6.1 when loading a single video, the video stays unavailable despite being checked and you have to select “edit all” to make it work

I haven’t run into the edit all situation. The only time I ever had to do a deselect and select was trying the offline experiment. Otherwise I can load single videos or batches in 2.6.1 without any problems. I wonder is some of this is model related. I only use ProteusV3 and it’s selected as a favorite so nothing else shows in the model selection section. I don’t envy Topaz as cross platform developing is extremely difficult. Much easier to develop for a single OS.

Please let me know who can apply the followings.

[Quoted from update history]

• Output FPS can be set to as high as 240
  • Fixed FPS to be correct for decimal values

I used Beta and there is only v2 for chronos fast or slomo and highest fps is 120.
Chronos version is v3 for VEAI 2.6.1??

Marty, I did see that there after I posted. As I said, I’ve not been doing anything with video for a few months, so this caught me unaware, and the beta for this one was over so I used the release, and brought up the issue here. I’ll be sure to jump on the next beta when it happens to see if this is fixed or not.

1 Like

For some reason it keeps downloading the A.I. model… over and over again. It won’t even try previewing the video. I have even tried logging out and uninstalling and clean installing.

Are you making attempts with the same video, same scale, same model?

I have the same issue as you. The program cannot be used at all, anything I try I get the error “cannot write video”.

The only difference I have to you is that I am using Windows 11. I would hope they sort this out soon, it’s pretty annoying buying something and it then doesn’t work at all after less than 2 weeks.

Have been running 2.6.0 but just upgraded to 2.6.1 on my Intel i9 MacBook Pro 16" (Big Sur) using AMD GPU processing and am getting frequent Critical AI errors telling me to reduce VRAM and enable Reduced Load whenever I try to start a preview or processing on Chronos and other models (Artemis HQ is working though). Have tried reducing VRAM, enabling Reduced Load, rebooting etc. Is this a known issue? Only thing I’ve not tried yet is reinstalling…

Also - another request for the CLI to return. I need to daisy chain processes (Chronos and Artemis/Proteus for instance) and batch process chunks of video across multiple devices. Having a CLI interface is a must for this. I’m afraid I purchased this not realising that functionality had been removed (as it was discussed here quite widely)

2.6.1 keeps crahsing when I try to add a video. Not all of them, but most of them. Also ones that for sure worked on 2.6.0.
Using a M1 Max Macbook.

1 Like

I really like Proteus for restoring poor quality or lower resolution material that has obvious digital artifacts, but I am noticing some issues with it. Regardless of settings, it does not always detect certain aliasing, which is usually very obvious and stands out.
As well as this, I have noticed that it creates a repetitive texture in various places on some renders, which is very unnatural and obvious looking.
Besides this, I notice that the AI in most of the methods doesn’t always recognize eyes, or makes faces look rather warped sometimes.
Is there a settings that people are aware of that can eliminate or minimize these effects?

Human faces has always been the weakness of this technology simply because it’s the point we are the most sensitive on. This why many demos were featuring insects. Who cares if they look even more scarier as they already look :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Going from 720p original to Artemis HQ 4K works like prior versions, but with one glaring difference, it’s a system resource hog. Upscaling 5, one-hour long BBC documentaries, at 50 FPS takes 5 days. Before it was no different, but system resources were never an issue, until 2.6.1. I’m not sure what the CPU usage was then, because it wasn’t an issue and I never looked, but now it’s around 65% all the time, making other tasks more difficult. GPU-Z is reporting 48% on my RTX2080Ti. System is i9-9900K with 32 gigs ram. I’m in the middle of upscaling now, so I can’t look at the default settings, but I’m sure they are all set to max, like with prior versions.

Use 1440 instead looks almost as good and renders faster I never do 4k for that reason

Just to help anyone out with this one, for some reason Topaz has decided to double up the address of where it is going to write the video to.

Look at the address where the video is going, for example c:/users/video
You will notice that Topaz has changed it to c:/c:/users/video causing the error.

Click on the output address and change it.

Hope this helps someone.

1 Like