Video Enhance v2.6.4

Hello everyone.
I want to upscale a video on my smartphone, but it contains vertical rotation information.
Should such a video be encoded once in a vertically rotated form before considering upscaling?
I am concerned that it will affect the recognition of faces and the like.

1 Like

canā€™t tell this for sure, people in the past reported that VEAI had difficulties to recognize rotation information from the file.
so yes, it need a re-encode at some point, but must you do it before of after VEAI processing ? good question. I donā€™t have a smarpthone or such a file, so never tested it, maybe it would be more logical to encode and rotate the video first, so the upscalling is applied on the result, minimising maybe eventual issues.
To be clear, i donā€™t really know. Do a test on a small part of the video and try both and take the best result as the solution. sorry to not be more helpful.

1 Like

for the very first time i have experienced the infamous crashing that everyone has been talking about on the VEAI forums. i never experienced crashes prior to 2.61. i did a clean install, so far it hasnt crashed again yet since i did the clean install but i just started it 30 minutes ago and i have 3 days left for the render to complete on the 8k upscale. i have an rtx 3070 a 3950x amd 16 core processor and 128gb ram. when i experienced the crash it gave me an error message saying out of vram and i know thats not the case with how beefy my computer is. also 2.61 changed my output area without me changing it and i had to change it back. im not liking this 2.61 just because its bugs i never experienced before in prior versions. Also it looks less sharp on video compared to previous versions and the rendering is slower. my conversions are taking a day longer now

2.6.1 Certain MP4ā€™s still crashing on the native version, Rosetta version no crashing.

Gaia-CG v6 is not in the list.
What do I need to do to use it?

Look in the model manager and enable it.

I upgraded to version 2.6.1 from 2.4 and I must say that this was a big mistake. Iā€™m trying to deinterlace and upscale SD video clips (720x576 25fps to 1440x1080 50fps) with Dione Interlaced Dehalo and Iā€™m encountering the following bugs:

1. Batch processing of several clips is not possible. The program crashes and disappears after the first clip.
  2. If the input video contains audio and ā€œKeep Audioā€ is disabled (in 2.6.1 it is grayed out), some frames at the beginning of the output video are completely black. To avoid this, I have to remove the audio from the input clips.
  3. If I process one clip after the other, starting from the second clip the output video has the wrong frame rate (25 fps) and length (twice the input length).
  4. After about the third or fourth clip the program crashes and disappears.

My configuration is rather standard (Windows 10 21H1, 16GB RAM, GeForce RTX2070 8GB, Nvidia studio driver 472.12). I have no problems at all with other video software.

Bugs #1 and #2 were also present in version 2.4 but I could circumvent them. Now, however, itā€™s getting really bad. My question: How can I downgrade to version 2.4? I tried a clean install but the program crashes after downloading the optimized models (probably it downloads the models for 2.6.1).

3 Likes

There are only up to Gaia-CG v5 in the model manager.

Confirmed, looks like lower res videos are crashing immediately after loading on Mac M1 (e.g. 240p or 328p). Had some success with higher res videos.

It looks like the issue is only in native Apple Silicon mode.
Processed videos during the night with the app running in Rosetta and experienced no slowdown.

1 Like

Little question. Why is it that every time I update the video enhance software, it never overwrites the previous version in the list of installed programs?
I have to uninstall the old version each time to install the latest version. And itā€™s been like that since the very beginning. However, other Topaz software do not have this problem.

2 Likes

well known issue, we have it all iā€™m afraid. the new dev is aware of it normally. there are so much bugs to fix that i hope heā€™ll survive to the end of the year ! but iā€™m sure heā€™ll succed ;).

3 Likes

There must be something special with my ordinary Windows 11 PC:
I donā€™t have this upgrade problem. I started 1/2 year ago with VEAI 2.4, upgraded to 2.6, and actually to 2.6.1 and all upgrades deinstalled their predecessors automatically. In parallel I still have also beta version 2.6.1b installed which behaved the same when beta upgrade was available. Therefore the dev will survive :blush:

Oh, I think 6 was put out to pasture permanently.

The installer/uninstaller has been a disaster since day one, and what I donā€™t understand is, itā€™s not something that Topaz does ā€œin houseā€ā€¦they have to get those changes/fixes made by someone else. Itā€™s very strange. It creates folders that donā€™t get used, removes things before you give it permission to do so, doesnā€™t clean upā€¦at all. Itā€™s a hot mess, to be honest.

2 Likes

Uninstalling isnā€™t enough. The uninstaller does not remove the appdata stuff, nor even everything under Program Files, or the registry. I remove it everytime using Revo, and even Revo doesnā€™t find everything sometimes.

2 Likes

Gaia v6 was never officially released. However, you can still download it from the server (as far as I know), but I donā€™t think it will work after VEAI 2.3.

As far as I know, the ā€œnewā€ dev now in charge of VEAI has been working on it behind the scenes since at least last year. So, some of the bugs he needs to fix might be his own :blush:.

Does Chronos-SloMo work for anyone? No matter what video or settings I try it just crashes immediately with a ā€œCritical AI Errorā€

Thanks for all.
I used to be able to use it unofficially by creating ā€œgaia-cg-6.jsonā€, but that method is no longer available, which is a shame.
I hope you will release it officially, because it was a good model with good results.